Thread: Gumball 3000 / 2008 (San Diego)

Gumball 3000 / 2008 (San Diego)

Anyone follow the Gumball rally at all?

I just spent all afternoon downtown here in San Diego as the lineup pulled in from L.A.
    Ferrari after Ferrari after Lambo after Porsche...with an Enzo, Ford GT, etc. thrown in here or there. Oh, and K.I.T.T. was there too.
    Saw a couple of celebs...Jackass guys, Tyson, Cory Feldman (yay, I know).

Thanks to my best friend who was invited to show his rally WRX off with all the other "show" cars, we had VIP status so got to walk around up close to and meet the owners of these awesome cars. He's at the exclusive party tonight (hopefully) looking for a spare wristband to get me in any minute now!

link for the Gumball website.
    and for more info for those of you interested in rally/Subaru--
    link to my buddy's website entailing Tommy Gun Rally

Trust me, I tried like hell to find a way to get the VX into the guest car section, but it just didn't happen!
    And yet if I had just driven down there when all the cars arrived, I probably could have snuck in there...now that would have been cool.
    - you have to know what it is to know what it is -

It kicked off the US leg last year in SLC. I didn't make it out, but I have a friend who ran the US leg. He said it was extremely crazy. Made a lot of good contacts, and has places to "Stay" all over the world.

Definitely a fun event.

They made a documentary about the SLC one. Tony hawk was driving a Jeep SRT8.
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

I don't follow Gumball 3000 much, but I like to take a look at Alex Roy's Team Polizei 144 every now and then. I guess he just started a "recon" run on I-80 recently- and they are attempting to stream live video of the run. Although its not working right now, sounds pretty cool. I read his book "The Driver" and it wasn't bad- pretty entertaining in parts. Also very interesting is the movie 32 hours 7 minutes...if it ever comes out. Trailer for it is so old now that I'm not sure that they haven't changed the focus a lot, especially with Alex Roy's new record run and his involvement in production.

Oh, and I came across this clip from the Gumball rally. Must've been horrifying to be behind the wheel of that truck.