Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 5-Speed Swap Info

Quest for the third pedal.

Okey dokey. My Vehicross is going in to have the TOD case worked on this wednessday. To do this they're gonna have to drop it out of the truck. While its out I will be taking many pictures of the input. I will also be taking pictures of the back of the transmission.

I have found a shop in topeka willing to do the conversion as long as I've done all the leg work (Finding out if it would actually work, getting parts ect.). My goal would be to keep the TOD and I think the 99-02 trooper trans could be the answer. One question I have though is about the Vehicle Speed Sensor. Is it on the transmission. If it is it could cause some trouble with the conversion. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If this can happen and still retain the TOD a Quafe sequential gearbox will be fitted.

it's on the transfercase. If any 1 of you guys pull this off, please post cost, parts list of full done project and labor cost and/or time Please. I'm going to do this mod when my tranny gives and i'm at 142,000 miles right now, so when it gives I'm going to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo114 View Post
    Okey dokey. My Vehicross is going in to have the TOD case worked on this wednessday. To do this they're gonna have to drop it out of the truck. While its out I will be taking many pictures of the input. I will also be taking pictures of the back of the transmission.

I have found a shop in topeka willing to do the conversion as long as I've done all the leg work (Finding out if it would actually work, getting parts ect.). My goal would be to keep the TOD and I think the 99-02 trooper trans could be the answer. One question I have though is about the Vehicle Speed Sensor. Is it on the transmission. If it is it could cause some trouble with the conversion. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Whats the Point of Living, if You don't go BIG.....
    Turning My VX Into Rally VX

My trans just blew up yesterday, so I am off to the junkyard this weekend to look for a manual.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

I'm both surprised and thrilled to see this post make it's way back to the top of the pile...

my other project (LS1+6speed into a Nissan 240sx) is woefully behind schedule so it's not likely that my VX will see a stick shift this year since I kind of need it to drive around...

in any case I'd be willing to help out wherever possible to those here who are interested in trying it.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder View Post
    My trans just blew up yesterday, so I am off to the junkyard this weekend to look for a manual.
    man that blows bro, what milage was your tranny in, cuz i'm scared mine will kick a leg soon, well if your doing the 5 speed swap, i wish you good luck and hope it turns out supa sweet. keep us posted.

Lightbulb

Pick up a copy of the Trooper shop manual for the UK models and you'll find a different selection of Aisin 5-speed manuals to choose from, IIRC many are available here. I haven't done squat on hardly any projects since getting laid off last July so this is all from memory. My plan for the Ebony was and still is to put a 3.1L Isuzu diesel in with 5-speed and TOD for stage rally, with the specific idea of using as much OEM off-the-shelf components as possible. I'd love to go sequential with the gearbox, but even if I had a job the $$$ would be prohibitive.

But for those looking to do this definitely get the UK Trooper manual, it's available on eBay in CD format from several sellers just be sure to check the feedback out. I got mine for about $12 shipped and it's a great quality indexed PDF of the factory manuals.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

So, Joe, is there any giant difference between the Aisin and the MUA5 as far as durability, torque ability, ease of install, etc? What benefits would one gain by using this? Right now I have a line on a cheap MUA5 so all I still need is a clutch, clutch pedal, master and slave cylinders, and that appears to be it. I am eventually going to swap the entire powertrain out, but since this is my daily driver, I figured at least I'd take the opportunity to try and see if this swap could be done on a VX.

The Aisin 5-speed (I'll see about getting a model number posted as soon as I can find the CD) was stuck behind the 3.1L and later 3.0L intercooled turbo-diesel Troopers so is a pretty stout unit. AFAIK, the t-case isn't integral and I think I reasoned out how to mate the TOD to it using either an off-the-shelf adapter or one was fairly straightforward to make. Again, I'm operating on memory here and haven't thought in this circle for a while.

It seems almost as if the US Isuzus got the weakest drivetrain components since we got the weakest engines in most cases, so I've been eyeballing Trooper front clips from the UK and Japan. I've heard that stuff like that may be getting either more difficult to import or pricier depending upon which overbearing governmental rumor you like best.

Again, grab the CD shop manual for the JDM/UK Isuzus. I drooled my keyboard after I got mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder View Post
    So, Joe, is there any giant difference between the Aisin and the MUA5 as far as durability, torque ability, ease of install, etc? What benefits would one gain by using this? Right now I have a line on a cheap MUA5 so all I still need is a clutch, clutch pedal, master and slave cylinders, and that appears to be it. I am eventually going to swap the entire powertrain out, but since this is my daily driver, I figured at least I'd take the opportunity to try and see if this swap could be done on a VX.
    don't forget electrical... the computer might not like the 5-speed, even though the trans has it's own separate computer the engine computer still gets data from the trans and if it stops getting that data it will throw a CEL that can't easily be removed... the easy solution would be to swap out for a ECM that was originally designed for that motor with a manual trans

also electrical connectors on the trans.. manual transmissions typically have a reverse sensor (for turning on reverse lamps) a speed sensor (for your speedo), and depending on other stuff it might also have a reverse lockout (to prevent you from shifting into reverse while driving) among other things.

Also a Manual ecu might want a clutch pedal switch to determine when you're using the clutch, though a lot of times this is just used to start the car and can be tied to ground to fool the computer into thinking that you've always got the clutch pedal in.

if you're getting the trans from a junk yard it might not be a bad idea to snip off all these connectors and take them with you. I konw on transmissions swaps I've helped with in the past I was able to call a dealership and get "pigtails" for all of the connectors I needed , which are essentially the plug with a few inches of wire that I could use to build the harness myself... these aren't always cheap though. usually $15+ per connector, might be more for something like an Isuzu though.

then there is other stuff like the clutch line, any mounting brackets you might need...

most times the bolts used for the automatic flywheel wont work with the manual trans flywheel...

little crap like that can add up an add up fast, but thinking about it beforehand can save you some coin, especially if you've got a junk yard with a donor vehicle.

Manual transmission swap

So, has anyone actually done this manual transmission swap yet? My tranny has crapped and I never thought it was putting all the engine power to the wheels. Frankly for the $3k a rebuild trans is gonna cost I can probably do the swap, I just want to know if anyone has actually done it, what is cost and what was involved. This is my only car so there is no way I can use it for a guinea pig.

Any help would be much appreciated...

Yes!!! Someone has FINALLY done it...ME

I have installed a 5 speed in my VX AND I kept the TOD case!!!!!!

It was actually quite easy, as it is a complete "bolt in" set up...

I am using the 5 speed out of a 99 Trooper, (AR5 or MA5)....

I would have done this swap LONG ago, but I listened to the "know it alls" on here that were giving out in-correct info!!!!

That's awesome bigmeat!
    I have to do this! My left foot is atrophied.

1999, Victory White, Ironman, 1567, 1999, Astral Silver(Painted Green Mica), Vehicross, 1454
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMeatVX View Post
    Yes!!! Someone has FINALLY done it...ME

I have installed a 5 speed in my VX AND I kept the TOD case!!!!!!

It was actually quite easy, as it is a complete "bolt in" set up...

I am using the 5 speed out of a 99 Trooper, (AR5 or MA5)....

I would have done this swap LONG ago, but I listened to the "know it alls" on here that were giving out in-correct info!!!!
    If you have completed the swap and it was a successs can you let us all know what parts you actually used ?

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up