Thread: I'm Officially an idiot... Tie Rod screwed up - need to rethread end

I'm Officially an idiot... Tie Rod screwed up - need to rethread end

Ok...

So I need to rethread one of my tie rod ends... The ones that I installed just a few weeks ago

I Was swapping out my CV boots, and needed to change a boot on my tie rod end (one got torn from double bagging it). So I undo the bolt (as i've done several times) but this time the tie rod won't just tap out. like in the past. I decide to give it a good whack with the hammer, and just as I made contact with the threaded tie rod end (the part that the castle not threads on to) I was like "NO IDIOT" knowing I had just hit a threaded piece with a hammer... well just as I suspected, it jacked up the threads.

I immediately threaded on the castle nut thinking it'd fix the issue... I used a wrench to get it going thinking it would act as a Die... Well it didn't... It just marred the threads and destroyed the castle nut.

No biggie on the castle nut as I have spares. But the tie rod end that's a different story. I ran to Sears to buy a die, the only M14 they had was in a kit for $100, so off to Harbor Freight I went... bought a little kit and gave it a go... The harbor freight job wasn't having it. Now I know their stuff sucks, but the fact that it wouldn't even work once... now that REALLY SUCKS!!

Well I took back the kit, and now I'm still left with a stripped tie rod end.

What do you guys suggest? Maybe take it to a machine shop and see if they can thread it? See if I can order just an end from Indy 4X?

I'm having a bad week!! And I'm supposed to be hitting the trails this weekend. Worst case scenario I'll put a stock tie rod on for the weekend, but I really don't want to go that route, it just adds more work for me, and Firestone (lifetime alignment )

Can you take the other end off and bring it by the school? If so I will fix it for you. It will have to be today or friday since i have classes Wed & Thurs. Give me a call 631-7993
    Todd

Todd took care of me... Thanks again Todd!! See you Saturday at Denny's, then off to Forest Lake trail.

Glad you fingered it out. Was going to suggest, and for those here that make the same mistake on any thread, there is a thing called a thread file. Yes, a file with the different thread pitches. Doesn't work every time, but most times. Handy little tool. One of those things you never use,.... but once
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

That's also what Todd recommended...

Looked like he ended up cleaning up the treads with a wire wheel, lightly tapered the end, then used pneumatic grinder with a thin cut off like wheel, and ran it through the threads.

Then ran the castle nut slowly through, backing off at the slightest tension, and cleaning up the threads again, then repeating until it made its way on.

Definitely going to look into a file if I ever run into something like this again... which I hope doesn't happen.

Yea, the file comes in the different, common thread pitches. Use to carry them in the old tool box on the Air Force Flight Line. Handy tool in a pinch.

1999 Ebony Black (Runs great/Looks a lil less than great... but getting there!)

The experience YOU had PLUS!

Imagine that happenstance now popping off on your CENTER DRAG LINK also!

Replaced with a new pitman arm we could not break loose from the steering box ($200 for both from online sources)

Good thing it's rolls again man... Now, onto the torsion bars.
    Always Forward,
    The Down to Earth Nurse

The ones for a passport or a RODEO are less than $20 on Amazon. They are the same as the vehicross.
    Junster If it don't looked fixed.. It ain't fixed.