Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: So I installed my new PV Cat-Back...

So I installed my new PV Cat-Back...

... and it sounds good at idle... but when I get on it, say at a light, it's loud. Real loud. Almost too loud and it sounds like a ricer.

Is there any way to quiet this down or at least change the pitch, so it doesn't sound like a souped up Honda Civic?

I have had mine on for a couple weeks now and it has mellowed out a little. JFYI

Wow, maybe there IS a major difference in sound between the original PV and this one... I never thought the PV1 sounded "ricey", and now that it has mellowed to its extent, it sounds mean.

I had the exact same feelings. Check out this thread.
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...n+a+pv+muffler

Although I have the muffler only, the suggestions should work
    the same.

*EDIT* BTW I am extremely happy with the sound and performance of my PV muffler now.
    Last edited by AnalogVX : 06/26/2003 at 03:49 PM
    RichD
    ------------------------------------------------
    ...because vinyl just sounds better!

My original PV catback sounded extremely "ricey".
    Its really interesting, the variation in sound quality, we are all hearing. There IS a difference in the installs I've heard. But why I don't know.
    Sorry to rag this to death, but it is puzzleing.
    VX's don't need no stinking mod's.
    But they're sure fun!

as i posted in the previous pv topic.
    I have the pv 1 and would sacrafice it in exchange for the pv 2
    I love that sound

Any takers
    adam

I was having the same dilema but then I always feel this way when putting a new exhaust on any car I own, then it mellows out and I end up loving it.

My PV was installed about 758 miles ago and the tone has changed for the better and I suspect it to mellow out even more.

If not, I am going to place a smaller tip on at the end of my exhaust. I hear the bigger the tip diameter the louder the drone. Makes sense to me. So far I had a dude say "Man that exhaust sounds MEAN! "

We'll see , time will tell but I do agree at first it is a bit overwhelming. You'll get use to it and be much happier when it tones down a bit
    Live Free or DIE!

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car
    In retrospect, I wish that the PV owners who went to Moab did a little sound analysis. I have the original custom catback PV and it still seems to change in sound as time goes by. Still a growl but lower in pitch.

It would have been interesting to listen to differences PV1 vs PV2 and how age affects them.
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

Lightbulb PV changing

I had my PV installed the week after Moab and it has mellowed some in that time. The interesting thing is that I finally got my K&N
    air filter cleaned and re-installed and that seems to have mellowed the exhaust growl even more. Go figure!
    Tru
    So on and on I go, the seconds tick the time out
    There's so much left to know, and I'm on the road to find out.

I'm curious if the mellowing that many report is actually people just getting used to the sound? I had a 1995 Explorer that was horrendous on my ears for about 60 days, then it stopped bothering me because I drove it every day and I guess I just got used to it!
    Last edited by IsuZOOM : 06/27/2003 at 08:44 AM

I still have the original PV (not the full catback) and after a little less than a year, it sounds insanely sweet. The PV must have a break in time, but after that is reached, you get (at least I do) a nice low, deep, growl, nearly comparable to a stock V8 Stang or Camaro. I had some ricer sound for a bit when dumping the pedal about 40, but that all seems to have toned down. I am quite pleased now.

Are there any sound bits of the newest PV? I remember there was a link to the sound of the old one online, but hearing the new one, if there is a difference, might sway me into updating.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Well, I brought my beast home and let my neighbor listen to it. He said he likes the sound... then again, this is a guy who's putting green neon on his Elicpse. So I don't know how seriously I should take him when he says it sounds good.

Maybe I'll get use to it, or it'll mellow out. I'll give it some time! Planning a trip to Colorado next week or the week after... so that'll run a couple thousand miles through it.

I'll see what I can do about recording the sound it's making right now and putting it up for download. i'll try to get to it this afternoon, but may be later this weekend.

Not that I have a good microphone or anything, though.

Oh... and it's awfully loud inside the VX. It's *much* louder than stock. Again, it's probably something I'll get use to... but don't let anyone tell ya it's not loud!

I've had my PV2 on for about 3 weeks now and it has toned down a little but still not to the point where I can tolerate it. When I had it installed I dropped a dual set of resonated tips in hopes that it would deal with the problem and quiet things down. I still get the "beer bottle" effect over 2500 but, by backing off or throttling up, it solves that pitch.
    Just last weekend I had the chance to compare a PV2 installed with the factory pipe and, frankly, I didn't notice all that much difference in exterior sound. At constant highway speeds I love the deal--a low throaty rumble. I'm gonna give it 2 months (and a 2000 mile round trip to N.C. in 3 weeks) before I make the decision if it stays or goes.
    Thought you folks might wanna see the tips though......
    ________
    Shemale dominatrix
    Last edited by geshaw30 : 03/30/2011 at 06:59 PM

waht do you mean it sounds like a ricer? a ricer as in those high whiney screams with the exhaust and the crackling sound? 'cause that's a ricer...i dun wanna put mine on if it's gonna sound liek that. did you use stock piping or do a custom cat?

**ricer doesnt mean a person who mods a civic....it's anyone who doesnt mod a car correctly =P

hopefully you your exhaust mellows out soon~goodluck
    How you gonna stop me im ill-literati/ im like an ill-mariachi wit an automatic shotty/ like tony montana to yo body/ now you really dont wanna come and test me/ i spit verbal fusilades im headin crusades/ to weed out all the fakes like it was da salem witch trials/ yo @ss betta run or else you gettin baked at the stake/ and that'll put a smile on mah face/

From day one it has NEVER sounded like a "ricer"...just loud
    ________
    FERRARI ASCARI HISTORY
    Last edited by geshaw30 : 03/30/2011 at 07:00 PM