Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: June 28th International Mini Meet

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow June 28th International Mini Meet

Had my rainy Saturday made better by a visit from my most excellent neighbor from the Great White Nort...

Kenny came down to take delivery of/install his roof rack...

To our good fortune, the shop where I work was mostly empty, so we didn't have to work in the rain.

The prelimanary "head scratching" phase, where things get figured out...

The "got it together, let's see how it looks" phase...

The "dayum, that looks GOOD" phase...

And finally, the "let's go celebrate with Thai food" phase...

Sorry, forgot to take a pic of the tasty Thai food...

Thanks to Kenny for making the trek, VX folks are the best ANYWHERE !!!
    Last edited by Ldub : 06/29/2008 at 06:01 AM

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Dude...kenny is better looking than you.

Ummm wait...yer better looking than me

So I'm the ugly one....

Truth hurts....

I wanna meet kenny...

Hot Tub calls me....

Outta here!

jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post
    Hot Tub calls me....
    I hear there is one in Moab just calling your name! Dub can tell you all about it!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post
    Dude...kenny is better looking than you.

Ummm wait...yer better looking than me

So I'm the ugly one....

Truth hurts....

I wanna meet kenny...

Hot Tub calls me....

Outta here!

jo
    Hopefully, all who respond to this thread will meet in Moab in the spring... We can have a "beauty eh" contest then...
    But be warned, I've been doing some rather bizarre experiments involving hair extensions, styling gel & my eyebrows...

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    I hear there is one in Moab just calling your name! Dub can tell you all about it!

LOL...it's not so much HOT, as it is HARD...

Are these Thule racks still available, how 'bout the risers to mount to the factory crossbars? Any leads would be appreciated.
    Bren Workman
    Gretna, NE
    (C) 402-312-1992

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Talking No, thank YOU Larry.

Larry, your company is worth the drive!!
    Next time I'll bring better weather.

Get a load of the perfect fit into the garage! Almost had to let a few pounds out of the tires to make it work.

workmeistr,

I think these Thule racks are being phased out with the sale of Thule US - I got mine from www.orsdirect.com.

As for mounting it to the stock rails - that's on my list this month. Check out Zeus's how to.

Thumbs up

LOL...I don't know what your interior ceiling height is, but it looks to me like you could move the header up a couple feet & add another section of garage door for when you go with 33's...
    By the time your new tires are worn out, I MAY be able to cross the border legally.

Ha.... I love this pic. Looks like me for the first 3 hrs of every morning.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Kenny, you and me both are just barely fitting in the garage! I actually had to remove and replace the top most piece of trim that goes around the garage door opening. Now my spare just barely rubs the garage door as I go in. It pushes it up ever so slightly, so my VX just barely fits!! I really don't understand why they just don't make garage doors with and extra foot of clearance standard!?!

Bart

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by WormGod View Post

Ha.... I love this pic. Looks like me for the first 3 hrs of every morning.
    that's about it, I got up at 5:30am and hit the road! - .

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Kenny, you and me both are just barely fitting in the garage! I actually had to remove and replace the top most piece of trim that goes around the garage door opening. Now my spare just barely rubs the garage door as I go in. It pushes it up ever so slightly, so my VX just barely fits!! I really don't understand why they just don't make garage doors with and extra foot of clearance standard!?!

Bart
    Cheaper construction to use typical 8' wall height for 2x4's and 4x8 sheets. With a 2x10 or 2x12 header plate you still end up with a 7' door. I considered a 9' door but the finished height of my garage would then have had to get zoning permission. Just gotta learn to hide my garage door opener when I am too tall to get back in..

Thanks, Kenny,
    I found the rack for sale. That's the smaller of the two, Thule 695 Xpedition, 31.1" x 50.4", correct?

Next is to find the elusive Yakima Wing Mighty Mount Horizontals for the factory "Wingrider" bar to bolt the rack down to. I understand from searches that one horizontal wing mighty mount is part number 8830027. A set of 4 is 8003601. I'm not a fan of the Universal Mighty Mounts.

On another note, I am obviously missing the "plastic" finishing caps from where the risers bolt to the roof rails. I have the factory risers holding the Windrider bar with the outside "VehiCross" caps, right below the "VehiCross" caps, where my risers mount the roof rails, I have the exposed "100 lbs max..." stickers. You photo shows your truck has caps that cover that area.

So...Anyone got some factory finishing caps?

Well, believe it or not, I think I found some Mighty Mount horizontals for the factory bars:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250262254617

They were listed as Yakima Mightymount Horizontal Part No. 3601, but they are definately for the WingRider bar. I compared close-up pictures with these and the Moncha auction to confirm. So, I may have lucked out. I also saw some foreign country listings for both these and the verticals.

Kenny, I see where the edge of the base of the rack comes right up the the bar endcaps. Does the rack sit completely down on the top of the bar rubber, or does it extend slightly over the endcaps on both sides? ('Not sure if that made sense).

The little "VehiCROSS" doors are going to be very difficult to find. They came with the factory crossbars, and were very prone to falling off. I actually secured mine with some cable ties to make sure I don't loose them.

Good luck,

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by workmeistr View Post
    Thanks, Kenny,
    I found the rack for sale. That's the smaller of the two, Thule 695 Xpedition, 31.1" x 50.4", correct?

Next is to find the elusive Yakima Wing Mighty Mount Horizontals for the factory "Wingrider" bar to bolt the rack down to. I understand from searches that one horizontal wing mighty mount is part number 8830027. A set of 4 is 8003601. I'm not a fan of the Universal Mighty Mounts.

On another note, I am obviously missing the "plastic" finishing caps from where the risers bolt to the roof rails. I have the factory risers holding the Windrider bar with the outside "VehiCross" caps, right below the "VehiCross" caps, where my risers mount the roof rails, I have the exposed "100 lbs max..." stickers. You photo shows your truck has caps that cover that area.

So...Anyone got some factory finishing caps?

those caps are the stock ones that fit over the rails when no crossbars are attached. kenny modified his to look all sexy like they do.. bart did his too.. i did something similar with mine but i have different crossbars so its a little different

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

I have the plastic "Vehicross" Doors. I need the plastic cap below it that conceals the metal riser clamp to the roof rails. I have weight limit stickers showing. I tried to circle it in the above post's picture. I'm in Tahoe through tomorrow so I will try to post a picture then.

The P.O. had the bars installed, and the caps should have been given to him or reinstalled (there might have been a different one's for VX's without the crossbars, if there were such VX's).

Kenny's picture shows some kind of cap that caps around the riser clamps, onto the roof rail. That's the ticket for me, me thinks.