Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 365 miles. ONE TANK.

365 miles. ONE TANK.

I can't believe it either.

Yep, after switching over to the VX as the daily driver, I took down my start miles for my last fill-up. I have to keep track of miles for mileage reimbursement. To my surprise, my total mileage for the last tank was 365 miles. One caveat, I almost ran her dry. She stumbled about 1/2 mile from home when I turned around as I'd forgotten my wallet at home. Fate?

Anyway, I'd been driving a 2005 Mitsubishi Evolution VIII (turbocharged 4-cylinder, AWD, about 300hp/300torque at the wheels) with a few small modifications as my work vehicle. As gas prices rose sharply, I began to drive like I owned it and began to experiment with how to get the best mileage out of the vehicle. I'm reimbursed .30 cents a mile (pitiful) so it's worth my effort. While I had been short shifting prior to peak torque (and probably peak VE), I noticed my mileage was about the same as if I'd accelerated with positive boost (not pushing it hard, but decent acceleration). Essentially I was lugging the engine in many situations. So I began shifting at 4K rpm, 500 rpm above peak torque and I stayed well within the vacuum zone and out of positive boost pressure. Revving the engine a bit higher helped me stay out of the lower rev range and thus lugging the engine when I switched into a numerically higher gear. My mileage went way up. Where I'd been struggling to get 260 miles out of a tank, I was now easily at 300. Modifying my driving a bit more, I'd see over 310 to 320 in city driving on a regular basis.

In the VX, there's really no way to control shift points and vacuum pull (which determines how much fuel your injectors push) like you can in a manual transmission vehicle. So I skipped the "normal" transmission mode and I leave it in sport. This is mostly because even under light acceleration, it tends to use higher revs, lower gear and thus it puts less load on the engine. Pulling from low revs in a higher gear uses more fuel.

I also coast to stoplights/signs. I don't accelerate hard, but I don't hold up traffic. A/C is on all the time (it's Florida) and I drive with my lights on. I also try to find routes that don't have as many stop and go situations and usually, I avoid the highway and will take a slower road with no traffic lights to reach the same destination when possible. Also, I use cruise control whenever I'm able. Every time you accelerate, the injectors squirt a bit more fuel than needed acting like an "accelerator pump" on a carb. Keeping a steady throttle reduces overall fuel load over time.

I have put the stock intake back on where previously, I had an Injen on there. I did not take a mileage reading with the Injen on for a full tank of gas as I switched it out mid-tank for the stocker.

I have an Aero exhaust en route. I should be able to run through one more tank before I'm able to put it on just to verify. Will of course report back after I install the new muffler. I may end up replacing my catalytic converters depending on how good/poor they look. I thought for sure they'd be toast by now but I guess not.

Also, I recently had the transmission fluid changed along with the filter. Replaced the front and rear differentials and the TOD. I used Royal Purple in the diffs, normal weight, and Castrol synthetic in everything else. I have a 1999 so I have the 16" wheel package and I have the rear seats removed although any loss in weight has been regained with all the camera equipment I carry in the car. The car is over 120,000 miles now. I thought about switching to 18" rims but I may not do that now. I have stock-sized tires on there, Firestones, with 34psi of pressure all around.

So...I'm hoping to hit 375 WITHOUT running her dry after the exhaust changeout. We'll see..I know others have reported mileage loss switching mufflers out. There are lots of reasons why this occurs and there is good reason why, if the car is driven in the correct manner, freeing up back pressure on the exhaust side will work to improve mileage as well.
    2006 FX35
    99VX (Sold)
    95RX7 500rwhp (Sold)
    2005 Evo VIII SSL (Sold)
    2004 Aprilia RSV-R Factory-lots o mods
    www.michelfortier.com

very impressive, almost 100 more than I get and the only thing I see you as beating me on is 16" vs 18" rims, can't imagine it makes THAT much of a difference
    don't know if I particularly agree with your stance that running the engine harder in a lower gears is better than running it more relaxed in a higher gear, yes, lugging the engine is bad but in my eyes, that's why we have OD, to get a more relaxed engine and therefore, better gas mileage
    used to be most sports cars got better top speeds out of 4th gear than 5th as 5th was truly an economy gear, just my thoughts..

I've hit that a couple times (sans lift).

I always thought it was weird when people said they could barely get 250... But now I'm in the 250 mile gang

Time to run some acetone... Of course I only drive the VX about 40 miles a week these days. Commuter vespa the rest of the time.

i believe it... had my vx in the city the other day.. and anyone whos ever driven in philly traffic knows.. sometimes you gotta hit the go pedal HARD and i was driving the crap outta the ol' girl.. 5000+ rpms etc... once i got away from the city to check my gas mileage (scangauge) i was astonished to find i was at 16.5mpg.. a little higher than when i REALLY baby the throttle... since then started revving hard and fast then letting it coast the rest of the way.. seems to help my mileage

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

When I'm in sport shift mode, I don't accelerate hard. I accelerate just as anemically as if I'd been in the normal shift mode. Small throttle openings at higher revs will put less load on the engine than small throttle openings at low revs (lugging it). If you had (or have) a vacuum gauge in your car, you could visibly see the difference between the two. There's very little "control" of this with the VX and it's automatic however. It's a very small window of benefit from what I can tell.

One other thing I do that I forgot to mention is put the car in neutral at stop lights while waiting. Again, you're loading the engine less.

This Spring I have been running in Power mode just to run with different shift points in the transmission (1 flush and fluid change so far at 60K) now that I've reached 100K. Also replaced the PCV valve and have noticed I am getting better mileage. Couldn't say which made how much of the difference so I'm happy to see a more technical analysis.

PMFog

Before I lifted and added bigger meats I was hitting 350 a tank. Now, after the lift, I am getting about 260 (that is, if I compensate for my ODO and Speedo offage). So, the burden of the lift and bigger tires and the extra weight on my roof rack costs me about 100 miles every tank....which TOTALLY sucks.

Bart

I've been watching the MPG's on the Scangauge (both instant and trip) + Throttle Position. It's changed my driving habbits and does agree with some of the things here. I've found that a moderate acceleration (even a bit of a hard acceleration), with a small letup (allowing it to shift sooner) and then back into it a bit till I get to speed, then backing off to where I can bearly hold that speed or even loose speed slowly, has been the trick for my longer drives (slow accelerations just seem to prolong the lower mpg's). Also, Letting off the gas and coasting sooner and for longer times does make a lot of difference on the scangauge. My real Average MPG killer is the slow bouncy gravel road where I seem to do 6 or 8MPG.
    I've been able to get my daily average up to 18mpg if I'm not in a hurry and pay atttention (not pressing the pedal anymore than absolutly necissary to keep going will help me 3 or more mpg and there is really no noticiable speed increase or decrease). When I'm late and hurry to work, I seem to get about 14.5mpg.
    All said and done, I consider it a game and a research project, with financial rewards of course (and a bit more relaxed, peace of mind time on my commute)
    If you don't first THINK THINK, you could end up in deep DO DO!

I consistantly get 290 around town and I don't drive like a granny. My Fiance lives in Memphis (me in Dallas) and I average 330 per tanks with a full load of gear, 2 dogs, sport mode and 80 to 85 mph..
    I think my guage is a little off...I get around 120 miles when it is showing a half tank and then easily pull another 200 on the other half...
    I've done nothing except add a Borla Muffler...interested to see when I add my cold air intake and a few other goodies!
    Cheers
    Woody

I've been getting between 290 and 310 lately... my last tank (i just filled up a minute ago) was all in town driving and i got 305 with a 20 gallon fill, then my tank b4 that was mostly in town with a trip to Thousand Oaks, then Montecito, then Thousand Oaks back home to Ventura, which put me at 320 on a 20 gallon fill.....

it has made me happy considering i lost my job at honda and gas prices continue to rise...
    Richard
    Proud owner of a RWD VX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "It looks like an angry snake-bee!" she said

sorry to hear about your job brother VXer. Maybe there are some other VX folks in your area that are looking for folks!! Shoot you never know...this is a pretty tight site!!
    Woody

I received my AERO 2525XL muffler today and I was shocked at how small it was. I was expecting this big honkin' tube but it's actually quite small. I really really hope this thing isn't too loud. It looks like it will be. I was actually riding around today thinking just how quiet the VX really is with the stock muffler/airbox. I did manage to get bi-xenon HID's installed last night although I haven't had a chance to actually use them at night.

Quote Originally Posted by rx7tt95 View Post
    I received my AERO 2525XL muffler today and I was shocked at how small it was. I was expecting this big honkin' tube but it's actually quite small. I really really hope this thing isn't too loud. It looks like it will be. I was actually riding around today thinking just how quiet the VX really is with the stock muffler/airbox. I did manage to get bi-xenon HID's installed last night although I haven't had a chance to actually use them at night.
    good luck on the muffler, I learned the hard way on that and am still trying to figure out if I can live with my new aggressive sound...

Does it drone a bunch in the cabin? I heard the video clip of it and it didn't sound bad at all...

I don't have the same style muffler that you do, I have a flowmaster