Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What CB do you guys have/recommend? And Why?

What CB do you guys have/recommend? And Why?

I didn't do an elaborate search on this topic, and not sure it's really necessary when it comes to electronics, technology is always changing, new models are released etc. etc.

So... That being said.

What do you guys Recommend?

What do you have?

I haven't decided if I want to do a permanent install, or something I can just jack into when I need it.

I don't know anything about CBs, other than I'm sure people won't want me borrowing theirs

Please let me know, give me some advice.

Thanks!

A good antenna setup is more important than which radio.

But I like the Cobra 18 because it has a faceplate speaker making it ideal for in-dash installation. There are also models that have all the controls and the speaker on the microphone, and you can hide the transmitter under the seat or wherever.

Check out the Firestik website for more than you wanted to know about CB...

I know I had the cheapest Cobra model (18WXTII) at Moab and it sucked for clarity and signal. I returned it and picked up a better model
    (29 WX NW..)
    http://cobra.com/index.cfm?fuseactio...category_ID=30
    MUCH better with the ability to fine tune (not as hard as it sounds). Some would also suggest getting a better mike for it...

I also had a short 30" magnetic antennae and it is poor for range. I'm trying something bigger and see if the range gets better.

I really like Tom's (tomdietrying) one piece handheld. Not sure of model...

I found it tough to find a place to hardmount it so it's not in the way of anything or anyone. Best place I found would be just to the right of the shifter mounted pointing up in the passenger foot well - bolted to the plastic shifter trim piece...

Good Luck.

http://cobra.com/index.cfm?fuseactio...category_ID=30

I got this one at Flying J for around $65. I installed it in place of the OEM CD changer - it is one clean install because the unit is DIN sized. I used the Cobra CB mount and attached it to a hidden part within the dash - it looks factory. I'll take a pic of it for you. Otherwise, like what had been said, the antenna is the more important point of focus (play on words there).

Check this thing out though: http://www.rightchannelradios.com/je...wx-st-419.html
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Im a bit of a cb/ham radio nut and i installed an rci 2950 radio with a little palomar tx 50 broadband amp that i git 250 watts out of running through a wilson 1000 magnet mount antenna,notice how i mounted the amp in the console with a little fan underneath to help keep it cool,I taped off the roof and sprayed spray on bedliner where the antenna sits so it dont mess up the paint and cause rusting.I talk all over the place and when conditions are good for talking skip i can talk all over the country and outside the country,i have talked to canada,mexico,cuba,its a pretty fun hobby,i also have one heck of a base station too.

I have the Cobra 75 WX ST. Control box mounts out of sit (mine is uner the drivers seat) and all the controls are on the mike. I use a Wilson Lil' Wil magnet mount antanae. Have had no issues nd the reseption is fine for what I use i for (off road trips).
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    I have the Cobra 75 WX ST. Control box mounts out of sit (mine is uner the drivers seat) and all the controls are on the mike. I use a Wilson Lil' Wil magnet mount antanae. Have had no issues nd the reseption is fine for what I use i for (off road trips).
    I'll second what Billy said about the Wilson Lil' Will magnetic mount.
    Since you have an aluminium rack, you could do what I did, & fab a mounting bracket out of 1/8" plate steel. Cut/grind it to the size & shape you want, drill two holes in opposite sides of the outer edge, mark & drill said holes through the center rail of your roof rack, offsetting them on either side of the center ribbing underneath. Then prime & paint, & bolt in place with stainless cap screws, washers, & nylock nuts...

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    I use a Cobra 'Road Trip' Handheld...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cobra-HH-Roadtri...QQcmdZViewItem

I like the portability....no wiring issues....it works very well...and the price is right.

jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thumbs up

I think the BigSweede has the right idea. The antenna is most important. Seems all the truckers use the Firestick.

Jay and I were taliking about this in Moab. He came up with a great idea. He thought a good place for a Firestick on the VX is the right or left tail light. Someone will have to come up with a mounting bracket where it will bracket under the tail light. If you put it there, there is no need to mess with any of your cladding or paint job.

Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

Thanks for all the responses... looks like I've got a few things to learn

Tom I heard you talking with Jay about that... I like that Idea, I also Like PBkids antenna too...

Guess I'll just buy a good antenna and CB, then once it's here figure out where to put it I like Dub's Idea about a roof rack mount as well... Where is everyone running wires from the roof into the cab? either for lighting or CB antennas?

Thanks again everyone!

Since the box for mine is under the seat I just run my ant. wire along the seats to the back hatch and out the top to the ant. which I mount right next to the radio ant. Then when not in use I remove it and stow it in my gear box in the back! Out of sight...less chance of break-ins!

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    That little kit seems perfect...

Think that's the route I'll go, I like the fact that the controls are on the handheld portion.

Most CBs are damned ugly...

Thanks for the link...

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Since the box for mine is under the seat I just run my ant. wire along the seats to the back hatch and out the top to the ant. which I mount right next to the radio ant. Then when not in use I remove it and stow it in my gear box in the back! Out of sight...less chance of break-ins!

I think I'll follow your lead... I don't think it's going to be a permanent item for me... I drive about 30 miles a week... (in the VX) so...
    Last edited by taylorRichie : 06/21/2008 at 07:05 AM

It would be a LOT cheaper to just get the CB and lil' wil ant. There is a lot of un-needed crap in that kit.
    My CB is perminantly mounted. I just take the ant. off when not in use. The mike can be taken off easily too though leaving only the little box under the seat.

I know that every other semi driver that I work with at UPS(about 150 of them) uses either a 29 LTD series Cobra or a Uniden PC 68 or 78 series. I own a PC78 elite which I ran at Moab. I personally think they are some of the ugliest cb radios out there and look very dated whereas some cheaper radios that look high tech with their sleek designs and digital displays don't deliver in performance. Remember, the idea is to communicate, not wow people with your CB bling. Trust me they all look the same mounted under a seat, but you and everyone you talk to will know whether you bought a "pretty" or a "performer".
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

speaking as one of the truckers.. firesticks suck.. the lil wilson is good.. but if you are gonna mount one like a firestick..get a francis.. much better then a firestick.. since you are taking the time to do all this awesome work.. make sure you take it by a cb shop or figure out how to set the SWR's... that is what makes or breaks a cb setup. the lower the better.. the goal is 1.0 and anything over 2.5? you may as well get 2 tin cups and a wire..

Just my 2 cents.. and as I have said.. opinions are like readily available at anytime..

Peace
    Jeff

P.S: a good noise cancelling mic is also a good add-on.. and can be had for about 40 bux for an astatic or a roadking 56.. I like the astatics 636 personally.. but its all about personal preference and how it feels in your hand.. peace