Thread: Changing KMH face to MPH Face

Changing KMH face to MPH Face

Hi guys my speedo is in KMH and i need a MPH one - as the dash is the same as the US one i recon a straight swop would work -if not could i strip out the KMH face and repalce it with a MPH face
    so the question is does anyone have one or know where there is one and would they be willing to send it to me in the UK
    I WOULD OBVIOUSLY COVER ALL THE COST !!!
    or if someone knows the exact vehicle the dash come form i may be able to source one in the UK
    or maybe someone could strip out their mph clock face and send it to me
    many thanks
    Cheers
    Steve

I have one from a 97 rodeo that will fit. But it has a black background instead of CF.
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

Hi it a direct fit then? so if i wanted one the same colour i need a vx one then - are all the rodeo ones black then ?
    cheers
    steve

Keep in mind that playing with too "different" a speedo cluster or just a new speedo dial cluster from stock, could have issues interpreting the electronic signal for speed and odo (i.e. would 12 o'clock needle position still be 65 MPH /110 KPH in a new cluster). A US speedo would likely work if the signal is the same.

You could consider a speedo face replacement kit. I did that to go from MPH to KPH.

Hi don't suppose you have the old MPH face anywhere ? or could you send the contact email of the supplier - i shall need a bit of help as most retailers will not post to the UK
    regards
    Steve

Taking the old face off of your speedo may cause some problems. It would be a lot easer to put on a custom face plate. It just slips over the needle.

Do you have 2 different posts about this?

Well i have a wanted post and a how do i ? post
    cheers
    Steve

MPH vs KPMH

I changed to a dual mph and kmph speedo face when I brought my Proton into Canada. I bought a used 97 Trooper gauge cluster (MPH primary numbers with KMPH secondary) from EBay that is visually like Kenny's except it is black and matches the Temp, Fuel and TOD faces. I changed out the Speedo and the Tach face plates (everything is black now, lost the carbon fibre look).

For the Speedo, the needle removal and replacement was straight forward. Carefully pry it off and replace against the post.

For the Tach, I carefully lifted the need past the post and let it settle. It came to rest hanging close to straight down. I marked the position with a pencil then removed the needle, changed the face plates, replaced the needle in the hang down position and then moved it up and carefully over the post. I had to reposition it a few times (back to hang, slight adjustment and then back up) so that it was reading a good (approximate) RPM value at idle.

I am holding onto the CF faceplates because I have moved to the US from Canada before and might do it again.

Hi i just got an email from a UK based engineer who says he can make me a Set in any colour he just needs to see the template so i may be posting on here with some for sale - red or blue sounds good with white numbers that glow in the dark
    cheers
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
    Hi i just got an email from a UK based engineer who says he can make me a Set in any colour he just needs to see the template so i may be posting on here with some for sale - red or blue sounds good with white numbers that glow in the dark
    cheers
    Steve
    That would be cool! See if he could do a red anodized with some gold or palladium.

Hi ok i shall see what he can produce i have to have the template for him to measure
    Maybe i shall do some exporting
    cheers
    Steve