Thread: Tone Hidden Hitch Install --- Tips??

Tone Hidden Hitch Install --- Tips??

I'm going to install my TONE hitch today/tomorrow.

Any tips tricks etc.

Everyone says it's a major Pain, but it seems sooo simple.

Is it a pain because it's tough to drill the holes?

Seems like a fresh can of cutting oil a pneumatic drill and a new bit would go a long way?

Am I missing something?

Please please let me know how your install went where the kinks occurred etc. So I can plan accordingly.

Thanks VXers!

Richie

yea make sure to use alot of cutting oil, have at least 1 extra drill bit ready, and if you have a friend with small hands.. that would be helpful for getting the torx screws behind the side cladding.. i have small hands... used 1/4" torx screwdriver bit and a box end wrench to turn it.. was really the only way to get back there effectively.. oh gloves help too because of the metal shavings all over

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Don't do like I did - I thought the faster the better on the drill; after I burned through my bit, went to the hardware store and the guy there told me to drill very slowly. It really isn't a bad install other than the holes - make sure you have something soft to lay your cladding on while you're cutting the hole so that you don't scratch it.
    "If you're not living on the edge --- you're taking up too much space!!"

Awesome thanks guys...

I know about drilling... you let the bit do the work... you apply gentle pressure only.

I'm trying to figure out if I want to do it right now... or if I should wait until the AM. I think I'm going to do it tonight... I've got 4 hours of daylight left

If you don't have one, go out and rent a 1/2 inch drill motor. Will be money well spent. Of course, have a sharp drill bit, use cutting oil and don't force it, let it cut. it's all about feeds and speeds
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Also, take your time trimming the cladding to fit, one of those measure twice, cut once. But since it is impossible to measure, the width is easy, it is the top cut you want to take your time on so it ends up 'good en tight'
    Last edited by rowhard : 05/09/2008 at 06:56 PM Reason: typo errot

The first time I did it I went through 3 drill bits... (Blk&Decker). Second time I did it (second VX) I bought a $15 Titanium bit...flawless!

The cladding is not bad if you be sure to undo the screws holding the area inside the fender well (where mudflaps would go if you had them)...
    I used my rubber mallet to squeeze in and act like a "holder" for the cladding... no problems... had plenty of room to turn.

One big tip though!!! be sure to cut engough vertically on the post cutout (in the cladding). If you are even 1-2 mm off, you won't be able to attach the bumper screws. Then you'll cuss like crazy because now you have to take the screws out from inside the cladding AGAIN!
    Measure 3 times... then cut twice.
    SilverBullet75
    Formerly: '01 Ebony VXSTLTH
    Now: '08 Saab 9-7x Aero 6.0L

Start with a smaller bit like 14" THEN come back with the 1/2" . Drill slowly and keep the bit lubricated and cool. Battery operated drills don't have the stamina but just about any 3/8" power drill will do it. The instructions w/ pictures (on my website) list all the suggested tools and I installed one a few weeks ago and found it easier than I remembered. The holes are a pain but the gripe for me was were ISUZU put the hidden bolts for the bumper cladding. As for cutting, once you have the hitch bolted on, place the bumper cover up over it and mark how wide you need to cut. The usual place to cut up to is just where the cladding starts to roll up to be seen. Cut a bit, test fit it to see if the bottom bolts line up and then cut some more - pretty simple to test fit so you get the best fit.

Awesome! Thanks for all the tips... Going to start on it in about 45 minutes... Hopefully it doesn't turn into an all day project.

I already bought a titanium bit at Sears. Have to go get cutting oil this morning.

Thanks again!

Yeah. DRILL SLOW!!! No one told me this and I went through 3 bits. Then one guy at the auto shop asked what I was doing and just spit that little bit of info out there.

If only I knew then, what I know now... but I forget.

Not too bad...

Had an extra set of hands and it went a long way...

Full can of cutting oil, constant stream during the drilling process.

Start to finish was about 2.5 hours, and that's including a stop to eat lunch.

One recommendation I have to ad is:
    If you put on the bumper cover and you have to have anyone hold it in place while you put in screws, you need to shave a bit more from your hitch cut out.

Mine was off by 1/8" on a couple holes, I had someone hold it flexed in place whiles I screwed on the cover. Unfortunately when I got to the VERY VERY last hole (right next to the hitch) There was no more flexing and it didn't line up.

So I've got one screw missing from my cladding Going to mentally bother me, but no one would ever know. (If I hadn't just posted it for the world to se)

Only took 1 Bit, and 1 can of cutting oil.

I need to replace mine with a tone hitch at some point, It looks good and has better clearance. I’m going to be carving valleys in to Moab on Tuesday with my old hitch.
    Last edited by kodiak : 05/11/2008 at 08:13 PM
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.