Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: To Quote This Months "Car & Driver"

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.

To Quote This Months "Car & Driver"

Page 49...talking about the planned 2011 land Rover LRX.

"What might go wrong"

Land Rovers new owners (or anyone else for that matter)
    might not go for the stylish coupe-SUV idea -
    -remember the Isuzu VehiCross?

OK...did they just diss us...

..or pay us a HUGE compliment

jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I bet you there are people out there reading that quote that are saying "What's a VehiCROSS?"

I take it as a compliment... they called us stylish!
    ~*~Cece~*~

- Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Mayedbe I'm not completely understanding this, but I was under the impression that the VX wasn't ever meant for mass production. I mean I'm no expert like the writers/editors of Car and Driver but I thought the fact that Isuzu used ceramic molds which essentially self destruct after a certain point would point fairly directly to restricted numbers.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

sweet

I don't like that statement. I don't care that they used the word stylish, its under the "what might go wrong" category and said they don't think anyone will go for it.
    maybe I'm just being a negative nancy, but that sure don't sound like a compliment to me

Thumbs down

Just further proof that ignorance is rampant at Car & Driver.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Black View Post
    Just further proof that ignorance is rampant at Car & Driver.
    As opposed to the brilliance over at Motortrend?!?!

I'm a long-time subscriber of Car & Driver (as in >20 years long-time), and I have found cause to disagree with things they've written plenty of times before. But I haven't made it to this article yet, so I will reserve further comment until I read the full context (I'll jump ahead to it tonight).

In any case, I would suggest that we put together a response letter on behalf of the VX fans on this forum, with a reminder that it was purposely intended to be a small-volume niche vehicle, as their own review article from 1998 article (which I still have) points out.

On that note, I'd love to find out if the small-volume high-priced VX was a financial success for Isuzu. (but if it was, I think they or another company would have tried it again at some point over the years).

I read the article too and got a chuckle. It was nice to still be remembered. Yes, I believe this was definitely a "diss" b/c it implies that the VX didn't sell well. However, my impression was always that the VX was a halo vehicle, as in, a loss leader that was meant to direct people to the Isuzu showroom. Similar to the Prowler with Plymouth and the Viper with Dodge (but the Viper sold more than Chrysler likely ever anticipated). Either way, I didn't get bent out of shape about it, we can send a letter to C&D, I've seen it before with the Alfa Club and the Shelby Charger club, both of which I owned and were "dissed" in C&D. Long time subscriber to them as well but honestly, my main gripe is that they have a very distinct Honda/BMW bias. Very rarely do those cars ever lose in comparison tests.

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    They did, they call it the FJ - although it completely lacks style.
    Don't go looking for Jay when you need a tow strap!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Isuzu View Post
    I believe this was definitely a "diss" b/c it implies that the VX didn't sell well.
    I know I'm going to piss a few people off uttering this, but, well, the VX didn't sell well. The first ones may have sold for full sticker plus, but the last 2001 models sat on dealer lots for up to 2 years before being dumped - discounted as much as ~$8000 discounts (according to members' posts on this site, anyway). If that was after 200,000 sold, it would not be a sign of disaster. But in a run of 4000-4500 vehicles in the US, that's not so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Isuzu View Post
    my main gripe is that they have a very distinct Honda/BMW bias. Very rarely do those cars ever lose in comparison tests.
    ...because Honda & BMW are clearly and consistently the two best automakers in the business. They build a better mousetrap - just because C/D points that out doesn't make them biased. Do you think they are biased against Ford because Ford builds crappy cars?

They did, they call it the FJ - although it completely lacks style.
    Although I think it is in many ways the spiritual successor to the VX, I can't put the FJ in the same small-volume niche-vehicle as the VX. It has mass appeal and robust sales, and was never planned as a limited production model.

If I ever decide to replace my VX, the FJ will be the one to take its place.

I know, right! At least his FJ is the all black TRD edition. It is the only FJ that doesn't look like it belong in Willy Wonka's driveway!
    Are you trying to redeem yourself to Jay just in case you need him to pull ya out? If I were to buy an FJ it would be like Jay's... I think it awesome! He makes Moab look like a walk in the park.

ex-owner '99 ebony...looking for a dragon green.
    From a sales and marketing perspective, 'Car & Driver' is correct. Land Rover is in no position to release a vehicle w/ limited appeal. They have very few models and are currently trying to redeem themselves from the image of having unreliable vehicles w/ antiquated technology. Scrictly from a corporate vantage, the last thing they need is to bring to market another VX.

I don't really think the logic of the remark is sound because they are comparing apples to oranges. From what I've ever heard, the VX was never meant to be a large-scale production vehicle, or main revenue producer like the few models in the Land Rover line are meant to be.

On that note, I'd love to find out if the small-volume high-priced VX was a financial success for Isuzu. (but if it was, I think they or another company would have tried it again at some point over the years).

[QUOTE=VehiGAZ;126487]I know I'm going to piss a few people off uttering this, but, well, the VX didn't sell well. The first ones may have sold for full sticker plus, but the last 2001 models sat on dealer lots for up to 2 years before being dumped - discounted as much as ~$8000 discounts (according to members' posts on this site, anyway). If that was after 200,000 sold, it would not be a sign of disaster. But in a run of 4000-4500 vehicles in the US, that's not so good.
    QUOTE]

You seem to have answered your own question.

[QUOTE=Zorak;126501]On that note, I'd love to find out if the small-volume high-priced VX was a financial success for Isuzu. Noooooo! Last gasp if anything.