Thread: 2 Din stereo questions - anyone have images? anyone point me to images?

2 Din stereo questions - anyone have images? anyone point me to images?

I had originally planned on doing a motorized LCD, but with the stock mount location being so counter sunk I'm afraid that the deck will be tilted too far forward, and I don't want my deck hanging halfway out to correct that.

So...

I think I'm going to go for a double din install. Does anyone have images of 2 Din setups In the stock stereo location? Can it be done keeping the air vents intact? I have searched the forums... Most I could find is that the stock deck in the JDM model was 2 din... that's basically it. Searched the galleries for images, and couldn't find anything either.

Any help?

Thanks!

Clearly I should have looked at my dash before posting that...

Looks like I may have to ditch/relocate the vents...

I saw images in the gallery of someone who did that to put in a screen...

Anyone know if they've suffered from lack of Cooling/Heating?

I have freezing winters, and Hotter than H. Summers.

Anyone know the part number for the Dash Trim? And approximate cost? I may buy an extra one, make modifications to it, and see how it goes... Then If I'm unhappy... no harm.

ex-owner '99 ebony...looking for a dragon green.
    It takes major vent modification for a double din to fit. I like the flip out monitors. Check out zadam123's...looks very nice. Also check his gallery for pics of his linex'd cladding, you asked about that in a prior post. When the Utahn August rolls around I think you'll be more interested in ample A/C vent flow than watching your Family Guy DVDs
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...highlight=avic

i ran into the same problems you did... check the gallery of Nuk for a nice double din install... you can get the dash from a rodeo too, i think 95-97 rodeos (and honda passports) have the same dash as a VX... i have bought a few from scrap yards to try different ideas (and am looking for another right now actually..) for prices ranging 5-15 bucks.. if you want ill look around for one and ship it out to you (prob be about 10 to ship).. only real differnce in the dash is that theirs is black ours is silver.. but it will need to be painted anyway after the modding

the way i resolved that issue was to install a cd/dvd/mp3 player in the lower din slot and installed a flip out LCD screen upside down in the upper slot.. so instead of flipping up and hitting the top of the dash.. it flips downwards in front of the vents... it hasnt caused any problems for me because in the winter time the heat is directed at your feet or the windshield with the auto climate control, and in the summer the crotch A/C is the best vent anyway.. and its ok to have your LCD monitor cold.. you just dont want it hot.. and honestly i rarely use the monitor anyway.. i have used it maybe 10 times in 2008... just to find a specific song on an MP3 CD and a couple of times while waiting for someone ill pop in a DVD and watch it to pass the time

try also talking to vxdakinechic. Sometime last year she looked into having a monitor installed upside down and there was some sort of problem the install place had with it. She needed a bunch of photos of my install to show them, not sure if she ever got it finished or what

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

While on this subject of deventing the middle air vents. I have always not liked the vents anyways. I would like to replace them with ones that would allow them to fully cut off. I personally do not think loosing your middle vents will mater much at all. How easy would it be to redirect the airflow or block it so that more pressure comes out of the remaining? I have been thinking about the in dash large LCD as well but would like to make sure that the middle vents cane be properly blocked.

wouldnt really be too hard.. if you were going to do it i would recommend tracing them farther down into the dash and blocking them off as far down as you can. if you block them off right behind your dash, whatever you used to block them is still going to get hot or cold from the climate control. keep in mind if you have the same amount of air coming from your fan to a lower number of vents you are going to get more noise from your vents because the air speed will be higher

I know that Kenny has put a double din screen in his VX, but he added a little to his dash. Check out his gallery.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Below is my old setup from a couple years ago. It's just a motorized Monitor with 2 video inputs, one for a rear camera the other for a PS2. I've switch to a Pioneer DVD/tuner/touch screen, with extra video input for my camera. On both I used a bezel spacer to move the unit out some to keep them from hitting the dash at top when it's at it's fully open location..I'll take pic's of the Pioneer that I'm runnig now soon...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    " Jeeps are nice, Barbie has one"

Thanks for all the response... I'll be sure to check out the galleries... Doesn't seem like everyone tags their gallery uploads

I'm 90% on a Double Din, May loose the middle vents in the process or possibly re-route... haven't been back there so I don't know what my possibilities are... Too bad Isuzu didn't just stack the CD Change right below the deck so we could do double din, instead of having 2 single dins...

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by taylorRichie View Post
    Thanks for all the response... I'll be sure to check out the galleries... Doesn't seem like everyone tags their gallery uploads

I'm 90% on a Double Din, May loose the middle vents in the process or possibly re-route... haven't been back there so I don't know what my possibilities are... Too bad Isuzu didn't just stack the CD Change right below the deck so we could do double din, instead of having 2 single dins...

Thanks again!
    Isuzu did just not in the USA.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i1...6042008069.jpg
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

I've been really happy with my single-DIN set-up. Sirius radio, GPD, touch screen, rear-view camera...everything I need, all in these convenient photographs:

OEM roof rack, Thule Xpedition 696 rack, Rancho RS9000 shocks, OME 913 coil springs, 3" lift, American Racing Teflon Chambers wheels, Yokohama Geolandar HT/S G051 tires (275/70/16), Energy Suspension greaseable bushings, steel-braided Kevlar-reinforced brake lines, WeatherTech wind deflectors, Malibu 18w driving lights, Plasma SuperWhite 100w headlights, NGK Iridium plugs, K&N drop-in air filter, Optima Red Top, Psychos2 rear-door subwoofer enclosure w/CDT Audio 10" sub, Blaupunkt subwoofer amp, iPod Video 80GB, Kenwood KVT-617 DVD head unit w/7" motorized touch-screen, Kenwood GPS HD navigation module, Kenwood iPod adapter, Kenwood back-up camera, Sirius radio, Flowmaster Extreme Off-Road muffler (black diamond-plate steel) w/ carbon fiber tip, Ford Taurus OEM cup-holder/coin tray (single-DIN/lower bay), personalized license plate "ORBITAL", 3M window tint, debadged, removed rear seat, custom 'radiation symbol' side magnetic signs, VX Concepts front skid plate

Is that balance rock in your first pic... I think you're lucky with the deck you chose... I think most decks, (including the alpine motorized that's in my audi) would be extremely tilted forward with the deck sunk back so far...

But it does give me hope... I just know I'd prefer the look of a 2 din. hmmm....

Guess I'll just buy some wheels and worry about the stereo at a later date.