Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spare tire vs Tire Sealer?

Custom painted S/C Ironman (ex. VX-King Copper, Rickster's Chameleon)

Spare tire vs Tire Sealer?

Hi, all,
    The Chicago area VXers meeting got me thinking about what I will do if I go flat in the middle of nowhere (e.g. on the way to Moab )
    I have the big 20'' inch tires so the spare is pretty much useles..
    Having a full-size spare is the most obvious and sure solution, but:
    1. not easy to find exactly the same tyre and rim given we only have just one month to go..
    2. I really love to sleep in the back of my VX on the long rides while my buddy is driving, so carrying a huge spare would be a pain..

Anyway, I asked around the Russian VX forum, and someone told me that he just carries a amall compressor and a tire sealer (not sure I'm using the right word here, but you get what I mean - that special foam that temporarily eliminates the leak and allows you to get to the nearest tire service place)..

What do you guys think? If you think this is feasible, any brand that you can recommend?

Thanks a ton!
    Vodka... Connecting people

what size is your 20 inch tire besides 20 inch
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

The best bet is definately a full size spare. However if that is not possible I say get 2 cans of sealer (which only works on smaller punctures), a tire plug kit (which will help with bigger holes or tears), a couple extra valves, and a good quality air compressor. That should set you up for pretty much anything except total tire destruction!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

What Billy says is true, but if you are on the trail with me and get a flat, you are more than welcome to my spare. I'm sure someone in a VX will do the same for me if I get a flat after I loan my spare out.
    Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Petos View Post
    I have the big 20'' inch tires so the spare is pretty much useles..
    Having a full-size spare is the most obvious and sure solution, but:
    1. not easy to find exactly the same tyre and rim given we only have just one month to go..

You don't need the exact same tire, just one that is of the same diameter.
    There are several calculators on line that allow you to compare the diameter of sifferent size tires, try: http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

My summer skins are 33x12.50x20" & my winters are 285/75x16", but both are roughly 33" diameter, so my 285/75x16" spare will work for either set.
    Also, I got a used Honda Passport rim from a salvage yard for my spare.

Thanks a lot, gentlemen!
    I have Toyo 295/45/R20 tires, so 30.45 in diameter..
    Will make a stop at the car shop and buy a sealer, a tire plug kit, and a couple of extra valves... Please let me know if you have any specific brand recommendations

I would "Slime" your tires before you get the flat.. its an ounce of prevention

Thumbs up

What Solitude says. Don't mess with the canned "sealer" fix-a-flat crap. Slime all your tires now and pick up the Slime tire repair kit that comes with plugs, more slime and a handy compressor. The compressor works great, I used mine to air up the huge front tires on an M35A2 recently acquired.

http://www.slime.com/product_281_Pow...t_(70004).html

Slime is great stuff, non-flammable, and you can leave it in there before you get a flat. I use it in all kinds of stuff like my mower tires, presta bicycle tubes, tractor tires, truck tires, especially where I'm likely to get punctures like off-road or heavy brush. Then again I buy this stuff by the gallon!

Got a roof rack? Excellent place for full-size offroad spare. Just like Marlin Perkins!
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

DAng.. You're My hero..

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by tomdietrying View Post
    What Billy says is true, but if you are on the trail with me and get a flat, you are more than welcome to my spare. I'm sure someone in a VX will do the same for me if I get a flat after I loan my spare out.
    Peace.
    Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    You don't need the exact same tire, just one that is of the same diameter.
    There are several calculators on line that allow you to compare the diameter of sifferent size tires, try: http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

My summer skins are 33x12.50x20" & my winters are 285/75x16", but both are roughly 33" diameter, so my 285/75x16" spare will work for either set.
    Also, I got a used Honda Passport rim from a salvage yard for my spare.
    I'm sorry, but I should have mentioned in my reply, that Tom is dead on with his assesment of the fam...
    There has never been, nor will there ever be, a finer group of people to wheel with.

You need a spare?...here ya go, take mine would be the only answer I'd expect to hear from ANY of em'.

Broken tie rod?...got one right over here...I've got wrenches...I've got a tie rod puller...here, let me get the...

I've seen it happen, & it has more to do with why I'll show up every year for as long as I'm able, than the actual wheelin' itself.

To see a bunch of relative strangers, perform as a group, in a manner I'd describe as "humanity in a VERY high form" is something I look forward to the rest of the year.
    I'll also say, that I've never been so depressed returning home from a vacation...It's really somethin'.
    Last edited by Ldub : 04/24/2008 at 08:44 AM

I have a Wal-Mart $8 tire plug kit and a compressor. Not much you can do if you get a puncture in a sidewall, other than having a full size spare. I am not saying it doesn't happen, but in the 15+ years I have been wheeling, I have not had a flat on the trail. On the street with nails and glass, and crap.. yes.

Exclamation

Also keep in mind that most of those "sealers in a can" don't like heat.
    (I think the green stuff at wal-mart is ok)
    So having one in your cab area in the desert might not be fun...

Thumbs up Side Walls and Tire Plugs Do Mix

craiger,
    A couple of years ago Tone Monday aka Tone (former VX ower) came back to Moab with his Mercedes SUV. While on the trail, he got a slice in his side wall, and he didn't have a spare. The only other people on the trail were fellow VXers, so we couldn't give him our spare. The bolt pattern was different. Anyhow, Todd Addam, he's leading the VX Run in Moab this year, suggested stacking 5-6 plugs on top of each other. He saw it done once, but never tried it himself. Well, to make a long story short Tone was able to drive his Mercedes out of the back country back to Moab.

So the moral of the story is even if you do not have a spare plenty of tire plugs may do the trick.

Peace.
    Tom

Joe Black - thanks a lot, will order this set It has jumpstarters in case of dead batteries, and I needed that too (too much TV screens in my car keep draining the battery in my VX )
    cheers
    Petos

Lightbulb

While running the VX at an ERS rallysprint a few years ago I got a sidewall puncture in a brand new Yokohama Geolandar MT+ and was able to repair with Slime. I basically dismounted the wheel and tire then after filling with Slime and air just laid the tire with the side down that had the sidewall puncture. It's been great ever since, but all they were used for is rallycross and a little off-roading.

The proper way to fix a sidewall puncture is to remove the tire and apply a vulcanizing patch to the inside of the tire after prepping the area by proper cleaning and scuffing, preferably with a power scuffer. It's still not considered "safe" by the DOT, but for the most part is quite functional.