Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: needed a tire opinion?

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5

needed a tire opinion?

hey guys im getting ready to buy my tires for moab and whatnot for the VX...just wanted some opinions from you guys who have had a little more experience in the offroad world....keep in mind that im a poor college kid....so money is a factor, but if im going to get a noticable increase in one tires performance against another...im willing to spend the money for the better tire....heres what ive found thats reasonable...
    http://www.stopandgotires.com/model....l=Courser%20MT
    http://www.deltatire.com/catalog/tir...D=2&tireCat=LT
    http://www.customwheelsdirect.com/ti...il.php?id=1662
    and the BFG mud terrain......

thanks guys

Are you buying these for Moab or a lot of mudding after Moab. You know the more rubber you have on the slickrock the better. With that said, I like the Yokos of the three. For an all around tire, Moab, highway and mudding, you can't go wrong with the Nitto Terra Grappler All Terrain 285/60VR-18. That's just MO.

Any tire you decide to put on the VX will look sharp.

Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

You seemed to do alright on bald street tires last time! :laughr: :laughp: :laughg:

Seriously though. Of the ones you posted the Geo's or the BFG MT (especially if you can get the new ones) are tried and tru!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    After four years working in the tire industry (when I was much younger), I steer clear of "discount" brands, or brands I've never heard of.
    The Yokos & the BFGs would be good, but I'm also a die hard Nitto fan.
    Terra Grapplers are by far the best all around tire I've ever driven...great combination of wet/dry traction & very little road noise.
    Bridgestone Dueller "REVO" is another excellent choice.

Here's what I bought...

http://www.stopandgotires.com/model....er%20AT%20D693

Def not the best off-road tire, but pretty good on and off road. Very good in the little snow we had this year...

stock rims?

Nitto Terra Grappler ALL THE WAY!!!!! Unless you want to change wheels out, then go with Nitto Mudd Grapplers. Here is my suggestion on stock rims: Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/65-18, here is a link

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...36&rd=18&ar=65

Going to have to cut cladding just a little (no big deal) and raise the front torsion bars just a little to ride level (no big deal again), but if I had to do it over I would get the 285/65-18 Nitto Terra Grapplers listed above, best bang for the buck in my opinion, unless you want to change wheels too.

yea im changing my wheels to 15 inch plain black steel offroad style rims...
    the only thing im worried about with the yoko's is that they have gotten really bad reviews throughout the web and from the tire guys i've talked to, they say that they wear poorly and they are much louder than any other offroad tire...
    probably will end up with the mud terrain's because they just seem to be a good all around tire and a favored tire by many...

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    the only thing im worried about with the yoko's is that they have gotten really bad reviews throughout the web and from the tire guys i've talked to, they say that they wear poorly and they are much louder than any other offroad tire...
    probably will end up with the mud terrain's because they just seem to be a good all around tire and a favored tire by many...
    yea i got 15" offroad rims.. only to find out that nitto doesnt really make tires for 15's

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

oh that sucks....i would be pissed...im pretty sure that BFG does though...i would be surprised if they didnt....

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    Dude, if you do that I would love to see a VX with these on it:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...&rd=15&ar=1250

or if you want some Nitto's these are avaliable in 15s but I don't like them at all:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...&rd=15&ar=1250

Those Dune Grapplers work pretty well here, in the sand. Bought a set a few months back,mounted them...didn't really care for the on road feel. Sold them to a guy at work. He is in the dirt like every weekend, lives on a dirt road....he loves them. (I got Nitto 404's and couldn't be more pleased) Get 16" steelies, and the ATGrapplers....never heard of anyone unhappy with Nitto.

i really like those kumho tires they are nice looking and well priced...they are also a well known brand...

I have been to Moab twice and will have to agree with this previous post.

"Terra Grapplers are by far the best all around tire I've ever driven...great combination of wet/dry traction & very little road noise.
    Bridgestone Dueller "REVO" is another excellent choice." These are a real sweet tire year round.

Try 265/75 16 for good ground clearance and some sidewall padding when aired down. You will have to trim a little but that is no big deal.

Tru
    Tru
    So on and on I go, the seconds tick the time out
    There's so much left to know, and I'm on the road to find out.

i was thinking about these to http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...&rd=15&ar=1250 . they look nice. i have yoka..M/T + now and love them, but will be ready for another set of tires this year.

Not a bad looking tire, heard good things FIRESTONE