Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: needed a tire opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    i really like those kumho tires they are nice looking and well priced...they are also a well known brand...
    Those Kumhos were the tires I wanted to get but the size offerings didn't work for me. They are awesome looking though!
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Like Explorers rolling over after they blow-out, and killing everyone on board?? I've heard a few things about Firestone too....That's why they were dropped by Ford...their oldest supporter.

Hey check this web site : tirerack.com

You can compare different kinds of tire brands & models that perfectly in the VX & beside that you can look at al kins of tips

hey guys im getting ready to buy my tires for moab...
    My opinion: Don't just buy for Moab, but buy for your driving as well. Think about how much off road driving vs. on road you will do. Look at the tire life, warranties, etc. A/T's will be quieter (for the most part) on the road which is where most of us spend most of our time and are the best all around tire. If your buying just for Moab, then go M/T's or more aggressive.

Buying cheaper now due to being a poor college person, doesn't always equate to cheaper in the long run. When I couldn't afford the tires I wanted I took out a "dad" loan and made sure I got 4-5 years out of the tires, including off roading.

I really wanted to get some nice mud tires of knobby things that just looked sweet and perform very well off road. Having only owned 4wd vehicles, most of which have had mud tires, the vx is the first that I've put AT's on. I shopped around online and managed to get 265/75r16 Nitto Terra Grapplers and 4 Hummer H3 wheels all for under 800 bucks which is good cuz all the local tire places wanted at least that much just for tires. I really like these tires and they seem to be pretty inexpensive compared to other brands like bfg. I have yet to really try them out in much more than some snowy mud but they performed very well. And they're quiet and will probably last me quite awhile even with off-roading. I found all my stuff on ebay, i'd suggest checking it out.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    alright, thanks for all the great idea's guys...im gonna keep looking into options until i get my loan put completely through...by then i should have the lift on and be able to determine what size i can fit...

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Lightbulb

alright, thanks for all the great idea's guys...im gonna keep looking into options until i get my loan put completely through...by then i should have the lift on and be able to determine what size i can fit...
    A lot of what will fit, will depend on the backspacing of the wheel you choose.
    Mine are 5" backspacong on a 20" x 8" wheel...which allowed the fitment of 33"x12.50"x20" tires. Also OME 919's & a 1" poly spacer (I carry a lot of weight), T-bar crankage, a good bit of trimming & not so gentle massage with a 2 lb. hammer were also involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    Like Explorers rolling over after they blow-out, and killing everyone on board?? I've heard a few things about Firestone too....That's why they were dropped by Ford...their oldest supporter.
    The Were not Dropped buy ford Idiot and the tires Where not the cause Theres always one ***#### on every board I own a Vx and thought this site had some Interesting and SMART people. That was just a suggestion on a tire I own and was a very affordable and I like the tire look. Do your research first Ford has been Begging Bridgestone to come back those tires were on Many other types of SUV's why was the Explorer the only one with this issue look at Most High end Vehicles today and I believe you will find BridgestoneFirestone Brands on alot more then you might think and FORD has Made alot of great choices lately havent they!! Chopper you should Buy stock in Ford,

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    Quote Originally Posted by klatshaw View Post
    The Were not Dropped buy ford Idiot and the tires Where not the cause Theres always one ***#### on every board
    Wow. I don't know you, but I'm pretty sure that Chopper has contributed more to this community than most of us here, and so deserves to be heard and respected.

Fact is, Ford (sadly) has a long history of cutting corners to save a buck. Pinto. Wilderness AT. Exploding Crown Vics. I'm sure there's more.
    In the 90's, if you didn't get Firestones on your Ford, you got Generals. Another craptacular choice.

The Firestone M/Ts do look nice, and I like that fact that they are pinned for studs, but the stigma remains, and I will never, ever buy a set.
    Nor will I put my family in an Explorer.

Bridgestone is a whole 'nother organization. I run Blizzaks on the truck in the winter (6 of 'em -ouch!), and most of our company trucks run Bridgestone commercials or AT Revos up and down the Dalton Highway (aka the worst road in America) all summer.

I give Bridgestone 2 thumbs up, but Firestone (and Ford, by association) get two different fingers.

For pure bang-for-the-buck tires though, I've found myself going to Dunlop more and more.
    SP901s on my old WRX, Sport 9000s on the ML55, M/Ts on the Ironman.
    In fact, my affair with Dunlop began 10 years ago when I replaced the General AmerTracs on my FORD F250 with a set of M/Ts. So, I guess that I can thank Ford - a little.

Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by mbeach View Post
    Wow. I don't know you, but I'm pretty sure that Chopper has contributed more to this community than most of us here, and so deserves to be heard and respected.

Fact is, Ford (sadly) has a long history of cutting corners to save a buck. Pinto. Wilderness AT. Exploding Crown Vics. I'm sure there's more.
    In the 90's, if you didn't get Firestones on your Ford, you got Generals. Another craptacular choice.

The Firestone M/Ts do look nice, and I like that fact that they are pinned for studs, but the stigma remains, and I will never, ever buy a set.
    Nor will I put my family in an Explorer.

Bridgestone is a whole 'nother organization. I run Blizzaks on the truck in the winter (6 of 'em -ouch!), and most of our company trucks run Bridgestone commercials or AT Revos up and down the Dalton Highway (aka the worst road in America) all summer.

I give Bridgestone 2 thumbs up, but Firestone (and Ford, by association) get two different fingers.

For pure bang-for-the-buck tires though, I've found myself going to Dunlop more and more.
    SP901s on my old WRX, Sport 9000s on the ML55, M/Ts on the Ironman.
    In fact, my affair with Dunlop began 10 years ago when I replaced the General AmerTracs on my FORD F250 with a set of M/Ts. So, I guess that I can thank Ford - a little.
    Bridgestone and Firestone are One Company and Duelers and Destinations are same Compounds and Constructions Just different tread patterns and other very minut things and Chopper I felt he was giving Me no respect for a Opinion thats all it was a Opinion and Bring Death and Rollovers to a Conversation about Tires I felt as if he was insulting my Opinion..Deserves RESPECT Just cause you contribute If it's worthless and insulting info why Respect that? Dunlop is a good tire owned Buy Goodyear It's their Middle brand then Sumitomo all Tire manufactures have that High Mid Low brands the Old Best Better Good sales pitch
    Last edited by klatshaw : 03/28/2008 at 01:06 PM Reason: P.s

Angry No No

Name calling It's all good here.

Quote Originally Posted by klatshaw View Post
    The Were not Dropped buy ford Idiot and the tires Where not the cause Theres always one ***#### on every board I own a Vx and thought this site had some Interesting and SMART people. That was just a suggestion on a tire I own and was a very affordable and I like the tire look. Do your research first Ford has been Begging Bridgestone to come back those tires were on Many other types of SUV's why was the Explorer the only one with this issue look at Most High end Vehicles today and I believe you will find BridgestoneFirestone Brands on alot more then you might think and FORD has Made alot of great choices lately havent they!! Chopper you should Buy stock in Ford,
    Yeah, I'm the idiot.....that's why you gotta pick thru your post, like a Chinese puzzle to get a hint of where you are going. Run your crap on all the Firestone stuff you want....good luck, and I hope it works out for you. By the way you attack the language, I can assume a Grand roadside memorial will be built for you where you expire....complete with a giant cross, Teddy Bears, balloons, and photos of your entire genetic line. Uhhh no one is begging for Bridgestone/ Firestones...most here didn't even bother to wear their's out before they replaced them.....They are that good! Almost no one replaced them with Bridgestones....except YOU! You sir, are in a classless class all of your own....but you will always be an enigma in my mind. By the way....Ford stock has been in the single digits for months now.....they can't sink much lower. Now would be the time to buy.
    Last edited by Chopper : 03/28/2008 at 04:41 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Toad80t View Post
    Name calling It's all good here.
    Bring it....I dare ya

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    Bring it....I dare ya

"Ya double dare me" Quote from Billy Madison. J/J

Ford stock is like 4 bucks a pop last time I checked.....Thinking about purchasing myself. But there are reports that Ford will be bought out as a whole company by a Korean car company.....