Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kayak vs. Canoe

Kayak vs. Canoe

So I was sportsmans today and was checking out the Kayaks and canoes and wonder, really what’s the difference besides the obvious. I am interested in getting into it but not sure if my wife would be as well so I would probly look at a Kayak. On the other hand if she is only interested in the occasional trip with me how hard is a canoe to deal with all on your own.

Anyone into these activities want to give some opinions? I know its kind of a dumb question but I can’t just buy a 300-1200 dollar recreational device and not like it. I may have the chance to take out Bart’s canoe this spring and see what I think.

I've got both. I guess I've had both about 15 years. I can honestly say the last couple of years I've taken my canoe out twice and my kayak once. With that said if I didn't already own them, it may be better if I just rented them. I could try different styles and brands, and I wouldn't be out initial cost for them.

My daughter is 9 now, so hopefully we can start and get more use out of them in the near future.

Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

I've been interested in one or the other recently also and the way I figure for myself is:

kayak if for the ocean just to paddle around, ride some waves and what not.

Canoe if for rivers or lakes--calm fishing sessions or whatever or if you need to take a small amount of gear with you.
    - you have to know what it is to know what it is -

Kind of depends what you want to do. Want to be like the frontier's men of past, exploring the nook and crannies of the local river, go for a canoe. Want to join the local brigade and drive around with a kayak that never see any water but looks cool sitting on top of your VX or what ever, then get a kayak. Want something that give you a real workout, something you can do indoors in the winter with a ergometer. Something that will give you a real workout that is non impact, then try a rowing shell, either scull or sweep. But I guess you can tell by my user name where my Sentiment lies.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Quote Originally Posted by rowhard View Post
    But I guess you can tell by my user name where my Sentiment lies.
    I never looked at your name that way til now....HELLO

So I should aim for a canoe it sounds like then. I was talking with the Reno crew tonight about it tonight and it sounds like that is the way to go. Less wet arse at least.

So how easy is it to handle a canoe alone?

I bought a kayak up in Canada and paddled the HELL out of it. I had an 18' Current Designs "Solstice GT" with a ton of storage space...plenty of room for me and my dog. We paddled all around Puget Sound and even in-city, on Lake Union, Lake Washington and Greenlake.

I always viewed the kayak as more sports-like, and the canoe as more for a small family taking a picnic basket over to a local park.

Lewis and Clark might disagree with my "picnic basket" analogy.

But that kayak added inches to my upper arms while removing inches from my waist line. :bwgr:
    OEM roof rack, Thule Xpedition 696 rack, Rancho RS9000 shocks, OME 913 coil springs, 3" lift, American Racing Teflon Chambers wheels, Yokohama Geolandar HT/S G051 tires (275/70/16), Energy Suspension greaseable bushings, steel-braided Kevlar-reinforced brake lines, WeatherTech wind deflectors, Malibu 18w driving lights, Plasma SuperWhite 100w headlights, NGK Iridium plugs, K&N drop-in air filter, Optima Red Top, Psychos2 rear-door subwoofer enclosure w/CDT Audio 10" sub, Blaupunkt subwoofer amp, iPod Video 80GB, Kenwood KVT-617 DVD head unit w/7" motorized touch-screen, Kenwood GPS HD navigation module, Kenwood iPod adapter, Kenwood back-up camera, Sirius radio, Flowmaster Extreme Off-Road muffler (black diamond-plate steel) w/ carbon fiber tip, Ford Taurus OEM cup-holder/coin tray (single-DIN/lower bay), personalized license plate "ORBITAL", 3M window tint, debadged, removed rear seat, custom 'radiation symbol' side magnetic signs, VX Concepts front skid plate

Quote Originally Posted by PHO2GR4 View Post
    I always viewed the kayak as more sports-like, and the canoe as more for a small family taking a picnic basket over to a local park.
    Yeah thats kinda the image I get too.

Quote Originally Posted by PHO2GR4 View Post
    But that kayak added inches to my upper arms while removing inches from my waist line. :bwgr:

Another one of my goals in looking into this as a new hobby.

I honestly like both. Like everyone said, it depends on what you are doing. Kayaking gives you a killer workout. Canoeing does too, but Kayaking really gets you pumping. From my experience, you can go fast, and cover a lot of water while kayaking. You're gonna get wet, you're gonna not want to bring anything (like camera, wallet, etc), but you can haul arse and its really fun.

Canoeing is awesome with the wife and the dog. You could easily bring a camera on a canoe, camping gear, food, etc and not get it wet, given you are carefull.

I have a 14.5' canoe and I cannot get it on my VX by myself. You generally need 2 people to put it up and/or carry it. Its just to bulky to handle solo.

Bart

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    If you have a Paramount Sports in your area, check em' out...the one here in Fargo has a c/f kevlar model that just might tip the scale in the canoes favor.
    It's beautiful, but of course, expen$ive.

Well I put on my crossbars today and looks pretty good. Really got to do the rail cover mod though so it all looks flush.

Thanks Beau!!!

Now I have to get a basket and also can start hauling things up there like a canoe. I think thats what I will get cause I am sure Cari, my wife, will like it. Not the seadoo she grew up with but still get you out on the water.

Sweet. You guys should get a canoe. We can go together then.

The covers will be easy. Like I said, just take the measurments off mine and you are good to go.

Peep this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Colem...spagenameZWDVW

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Sweet. You guys should get a canoe. We can go together then.
    Yeah, that would be cool since there are so many little lakes around here to explore.

The covers will be easy. Like I said, just take the measurments off mine and you are good to go.
    Yeah maybe we can knock it out next weekend

Nice, now that I am out of money for a few weeks.

Bart, did you paint that canoe yet?

So I got a canoe...

I got the canoe with accesories for $300 found on craigslist.