View Poll Results: Do you want a turbo kit for your VX?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yeah!!!

98 75.97%
  • Nah, i'll stick with stock power

26 20.16%
  • Whats a turbo?

5 3.88%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: GI: Turbo Kit

jdm monkey, nice work...

check this link for more on the mooncraft VX:
    http://vehi.world.coocan.jp/moon/moon.htm

I think the stock front cladding has a good capability for using a smaller FMIC. Since it has to be fabbed from scratch anyways, it is possible to get it closer to the chassis than the Mooncraft did. Looks like quite some space in there.... probably to keep it away from any radiator heat, but shouldnt be an issue if JDM's isnt putting out enough compression and only a small dose of cooling takes place with the FMIC anyways. Hell, even something small like the top mounts on the STi might suffice in that location without butchering the front end, heh.

So the wheel well was the best you could manage for plumbing? Hmm, shame. But hell, good to see you got this far along so far.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Question

Thanks for the pics, but YIKE! One, I'd like to be able to turn left again and two, have you calculated the pressure drop on that Rube Goldberg plumbing layout? Did you even consider simply fabbing new manifolds before neutering the roadability of the vehicle?
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

There is no clearance issue on the piping under the wheel well so yah, you can still turn left lol...

There is no clearance issue on the piping under the wheel well so yah, you can still turn left lol...
    With what size wheels? Most people run larger tires. And is there any option to run that pipe somewhere other than where we would be mounting rocksliders? I know aluminum tubing doesn't take kindly to close encounters with the ground. Not trying to bust your chops, but if I were in your place, I would welcome constructive criticism, so.....
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder View Post
    With what size wheels? Most people run larger tires. And is there any option to run that pipe somewhere other than where we would be mounting rocksliders? I know aluminum tubing doesn't take kindly to close encounters with the ground. Not trying to bust your chops, but if I were in your place, I would welcome constructive criticism, so.....
    The last thing you want on an offroaded vehicle is a turbo that isn't there, isn't there, then WHAM!!! It's there! Now my tires are spinnin', 'stead of grabbing. This setup is gonna have some lag in it. Climbing rocks begs a S/C methinks.

Exhaust cutouts=best of both worlds methinks

Think?? I've no experience Only negatives with turbos in muck

Generally I agree that turbos aren't very well suited for off-road gasoline applications, but what we've been kicking around for my rally VX is to use two T-14 or T-23 turbos sitting on top of either tubular or log-type manifolds. Simple, robust short tube runs with everything accessible and high to eliminate heat or dousing issues. More than likely I'll end up with a 4JG2 diesel in it, but that's down the road until the big shop is done.

With what is proposed here you'll either set something on fire from radiant heating or the cast-iron section of the turbo will crack from constantly being drenched or packed in mud, especially if you try to implement heat shields in an area that's a "catch-all" underneath the chassis. What's your plan for addressing vibration on what looks about 20' of tube? When it's all said and done you'll need the extra horsepower to offset the added weight.

this is a very cool project. i had planned on doing this last year, but after all the bugs were worked out, i the supercharger was just easier. i used to have all sorts of data on set ups like this. ill see if i can dig some up. this is pretty much the only way to do it - i just dont see the room under the hood for a traditional turbo and manifold. STS systems are turbos like this and they seem to work fine. there will be a little lag, but it wont be a deal. also, the long charge pipe running under the car acts as a little intercooler as well. i love turbos, but you cant beat the mean looks of roots

Right'o. Turbo for tarmac. S/C for insta-grab (that be dirt to ya'll city folk.... like me ).

Still, as a city to rural/suburban city transplant now, T/C and S/C appeal. Thus, the Rex and the Vex, heh.

I still think you are gonna wanna take a look into the pressure cause that setup really does concern me when it comes to lag. And without a proper tune (REALLY good luck on that one), I fear you wont see a bit of gain. But please, prove me wrong and make it work. I love an ongoing project.

Part of the issue with doing a proper turbo setup(turbo just after header) is getting it emission certified.

The setup he's trying to build is more like a cat back exhaust.

I'm curious what the ECU will think when the BOV opens and metered air reverses through the MAS. I'm thinking that it will read as additional air intake, and dump in fuel for it as you lift the throttle.

With the BOV spring set stiff enough to remain closed at idle you may get some surges.

I do give props for trying though.

John C.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotsauce View Post
    Part of the issue with doing a proper turbo setup(turbo just after header) is getting it emission certified.

The setup he's trying to build is more like a cat back exhaust.

I'm curious what the ECU will think when the BOV opens and metered air reverses through the MAS. I'm thinking that it will read as additional air intake, and dump in fuel for it as you lift the throttle.

With the BOV spring set stiff enough to remain closed at idle you may get some surges.

I do give props for trying though.

John C.
    Ya, a good performance tune should be able to keep it from running ultra rich, but.... that's the question right there isnt it? Tune a VX? I remember years ago we had a member who programmed access ports for GM or something and he was gonna try to get around to putting together an access port for us to harness up to the ECU. I never did hear the end of that.

I took my VX to my WRX guys here in town to see what they thought about a post S/C tune and after 10 mins, they just threw their arms up and said "sorry dude". Damn shame cause I thought that if anyone could find a way, it would be them since they are one of the most renowned mid atlantic import tuner shops.

Thumbs up Very interesting

Wow, this is fascinating. More power would be great on these vehicles.

Although the large FMIC looks good, I might prefer a smaller side mount (in the front of the wheel well.) Or maybe cool the pressurized charge with an Aquamist water/methanol injection pump?

Like someone said elsewhere in this thread; water or mud hitting a red-hot turbo housing is never a good thing. Even a titanium housing couldn't take much of the thermal shock of that.

I'm thinking that this project will get expensive (much more than $2,500) because of other upgrades... like a bigger brass radiator, electronic boost control (with AI fuzzy logic), new MAS, bigger fuel pump, injectors, air/fuel control, and associated stuff.
    Currently shopping for my first VX