Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hello all. I'm looking to buy my 1st vehicross

Question Hello all. I'm looking to buy my 1st vehicross

Hello all members. I'm looking to buy my 1st vehicross. If any of you people out there can give me some tips, what to look for, mileage, price.

Basically my daily driver is a '92 heritage camaro and it's time to relegate it to occasional driving, so I sort of fell in lust with the Vehicross when it first came out as a '99. What year should I be looking for? Options? Problem areas? I live in long beach ny and it's going to be my daily driver.

I've read nothing but good reviews on them as far as dependability.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Howard Mason

Order 4 days of pizza.....3 cases of your favorite drinkin stuff....then use this site's search engine. All the answers to your questions will be in there somewhere. You just have to take the time to sort through it.

Advice outside the search function: Accept the fact that what you're looking for, more than likely, is gonna end up being a nationwide endeavor. Owners here have gone (& have had delivered) cross country to get their VX. Harsh reality
    Last edited by geshaw30 : 03/06/2008 at 06:31 PM
    George, Cary, & Roxie the English Bulldog..''99 silver #1897

luv pizza

Thanks for the Reply.

I kind of figured that would be the answer & am totally open to the nationwide hunt. I deal with buyers and sellers of limos & buses all day long from opposite ends of the country.

Fantastic answer though. I see I'm going to like you guys. The Wife's not gonna like me when I start to dig into the site here.

So to save my love life,

Could Ya just tell me if there are any major things I should be looking for? And what to stay away from. Ya know the readers digest version.

A 36,000 mile Proton in Orlando....13,900. Just read about it a post ago. You won't find many with lower mileage. It's a dealership car (Central Fla. C.J.D.) I'd act quickly if you are serious. Mine has 34 and I wouldn't sell it to you for 14. No huge problems...this is no Lotus:grinr: You can make a holiday out of picking it up!

make sure that the oil level is good.. you will have to keep an eye on it your entire VX driving career, low oil has been a suggested culprit to a few engines going :deadg: with less than 50k miles

check the windows, they have been known to bind up, all it takes is some good cleaning of the channels and to keep them well lubricated, i have my windows tinted and have in-channel vent guards on the windows and have had no issues in probably 9-12 months, i just cleaned them out really well and every 2-3 months spray some silicon lubricant in there

cd changer messes up on occasion but thats no big deal, most of us replace it right away anyway

as for a daily driver... make sure you test drive one first.. there are some who would never use the vx as a daily driver because of its low rear visibility and its harsh ride caused by short wheel base and very stiff suspension

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Ditto on the oil, CD, and windows.

Also, look out for a bad ABS system. That's a $3,000 repair if you care enough about it, and it seems to be relatively common. I suspect a large percentage of us just drive with the ABS light on, though.

There are sometimes EGR problems, and a transmission mode switch tends to go. If the vehicle's been raised, take a glance at the CV joints.

The thing is, these are all more or less easy fixes. I wouldn't let any of these prevent me from buying a VX. What should prevent you? Well, if the engine has any evidence of being run without oil, I'd want someone to look into it. Replacing the engine or transmission just doesn't sound fun. Everything else is doable with parts swapped from common Isuzus.

In then end, though, you just might just do what myself and others have done: Buy it sight-unseen.

Chopper is right. Take the Florida Proton (very quickly) and call it a day. You're not gonna find many with that kind of mileage.

And keep an eye on your front CV boots. Cracked or split - replace right away.

Usually not a problem if you're not lifted.
    Last edited by tom4bren : 03/06/2008 at 11:23 AM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

thanks

I really appreciate the help.
    I know about stiff suspensions, in my life I've owned a Suzuki Samari that was a daily driver back in '87. Talk about stiff. thanks for the info bout the visibility i'll drive before I buy one. My camaro is no cushion either.

I heard rumor of 2 - 99's going up for sale in tx both have around 15,000 miles. They will be at a dealer. Both came from 1 customer as a trade in deal.
    The woman I spoke to said they were probably going to ask 15k for them.

What do you guys think? Makes me wonder about how often they were used and if seals might have dried up.

PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by mdwyer View Post
    ....In then end, though, you just might just do what myself and others have done: Buy it sight-unseen.
    +1
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have a Sith sense....I see Darth people...

?

What does +1 mean snowtrooper?

hmmmason,

snowtrooper meant that he bought his sight unseen. So did I. I bought mine last year for 15K & it had 34K mi.

BTW - I used to have a Samurai. 81 cubic inches of raw power & a suspension so stiff that I could run over a dime & tell you if it was heads or tails. No complaints tho - it made a great commuter car & only retired after it had a quarter million miles on her.

+1

I live in Souther Indiana, flew to chicago, drove a rental to WI to pick up a VX I had only seen pictures of. Not ONE regret since.

i got some pics on mine and went 450 miles to a little town in cali. to get mine ..then drove it home ..Im a happy camper....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...