Thread: led tail light wafers

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5

led tail light wafers

i dont remember exactly what they are called but i remember that a long time ago there was someone here who was talking about getting like a blank LED board and making some LED tail lights that would have like a 5x5 pattern of LEDS...similar to the infinity QX56 or the FX45....

http://us.autos1.yimg.com/img.autos....ht_640x480.jpg

anyone know what happened to that post? or any information about it? i would love to do this with the VX and my acura

Lightbulb

The board LED market has exploded in recent years, especially in the auto and motorcycle lines with custom boards fitting drop-in applications for popular makes and models. A search for "led" and "board" will inundate your results. Companies like http://www.superbrightleds.com are profiting from online prototyping and inexpensive manufacturing to offer a wide variety of product, including simple "plug and play" LED boards with pigtails in common automotive bases that will fit behind tail light lenses.

Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

ya i turned one of those pictured with many LEDS into my dome light, just had to cut away some of the housing, looks good.. www.autolumination sells them in all sorts of applications

I had been thinking about this the other day after following a bmw, i was going to talk to an EE friend of mine but decided i would rather not cut up the housings although it would look pretty sweet.. if you are willing to cut the housing though it wouldnt be too tough to make a board to fit there for someone who knows their electronics

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

I thought someone did that on their VX - can't remember who. They actually had the LEDs mounted on flex cable so that you could fold them over to fit it into the tail light & they sprang (spring/sprang/sprung???) back into place after clearing the housing.

Eric, you can have my right tail light assembly after I replace it to practice on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Lightbulb

Most of these boards will fit right in the stock housing with no alteration, so you can go right back to stock and maintain your VX's value. A little dab of silicone or 3M tape will hold in place and the connectors fit the stock 1157/1156 sockets. If you choose to go this route be sure to look around for different sizes so you can get one for each portion of the housing (stop/turn/backup).

tom, that could be fun, ive got a few different ideas to mess around with with a tail light (changing colors, goin to LED etc)

I think the ones you are talking about are spider lights, they have 5 sections with 40 leds total 30 front facing and 10 rear facing) that fold up to fit through the 1" bulb hole then open back up once through, they look nice but are expensive at $27 a bulb

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    awesome, im gonna save this thread because i dont care about cutting up my lights if i can make it look good.....plus ill try it on my acura before my vehicross because tail lights for that are cheap...
    that would look awesome i think, give it a really nice custom look.

Eric,

Ordered from Merlin today but he said 3-6 week delivery due to backorder. Prolly won't have them at the Luray meet.

Tom