Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Lowering Springs/shocks

Lowering Springs/shocks

I wanna kno if anyone knows of any products taht are available to lower the VX....'cause i wanna do taht to mine...im not really into lifting it or any of that offroading stuff...even tho it looks really really fun but i'd probably flip the thing.

i've seen a picture of one that is lowered in japan...i was wondering if anyone knows what to buy or where to buy GOOD/Top quality springs and shocks so i can drop my VS 2 inches or so....thanks!

finally got some money so imma start doing more things to mah baby werd!

For starters, you SHOULD be able to drop the front by cranking the torsion bar. This will make for a MUCH bouncier and stiffer ride (I know, cause I tried it already). As for the rear, of course, springs will need to be worked with. I dont recommend cutting them, but maybe having some springs measured and clamped, or if a manufacturer offers a shorter spring. This, however, has some side effects. You most likely will have to trim down the suspension buttress within the rear spring shaft. I have not dealt with the rear yet due to horrible weather here lately, but I am planning on checking it out.

Also, note how low you want to go, because the tranfer case will not allow you to go too low. The VX simply isnt designed to be slammed. My plan was to drop about 2". That seems safe by my measurements.

If you happen to find out any news on manufacturers or products to use, do list them here. I know a few others are also interested in getting a tad closer to the tarmac.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

so i dont have to replace the front springs and shocks to drop the VX huh? hrmm...i might have to try it...but gotta find out how to do the rear too 'cause i dun want it to look like i got airbags =P yea i want to drop it 2 inches also to cover up some of the space betweent he wheel and the fender.

i dun think i wanan cut the springs or do anythign to stock springs, i would rather replace the springs and shocks...looking into it now and have been for a while...still havnet found anyone that sells 'em =/ i'll ask my friends who opened up a shop if they could figure out anything...i'll let you kno.

im having some friends check out products that might be able to be compatible with the VX. one of them checked out the springs and suspension and said they should make a universal kit that could work for it so i'll find out soon. he said dont clamp the rear springs 'cause that could cause some major problems. imma go shop around instead of looking online 'cause cant find anything. i wish i knew japanese so i can go find some japanese forum (if they had any) and send out mass messages to everyone. haha

Thumbs up

I remember N1 was looking into a set of lowering spring from one of his hook ups in Japan, I believe it was the same cats who got him and them my the brake pad and line upgrades...

But know getting in touch with him until he is all better?

But let me know if you come across anything here in the States, as I want to lower her a little...

-Dave

yea im looking into it with some of my boys in the import scene. theyre searching far and wide...domestically....for any universal kit that could be used. i'd rather have better JDM kits tho =P could you see if you can still find out who's selling them 'cause i want mine to scrape....haha jp. about 2 - 2 1/2 inch drop which will make the space between the wheel and fender almost disappear. that would look sleek and give the people in the backseats a more enjoyable ride........

I have been doing a lot of research in the past two months to find out how to lower the rear of the VX, and so far, I am still very unsuccessful. I have tried out two styles of clamps, both of which I got from JC Whitney. The one can be used to clamp down 3 coils and you'll get 1 full inch. However, not the easiest to install. The other set clamps down the 2 middle coils for not even 1/2 inch, but very easy to install. I had 2 individuals look at the VX to see about cutting the springs, but as expected, they highly recommended NOT doing this. I checked with Air Ride to see what they recommended, but this option would be way to expensive. So finding a compatible spring that already exists or, better yet, maybe finding someone who will actually fabricate springs for this vehicle. Maybe if enough VX members on this site showed enough interest...even so, there may not be enough demand...

I don't think there will be enough interest. Not tryin to knock your choice to slam, but most of the people who bought the VX in the first place bought it because of its looks AND capabilities. It has sweet on road AND offroad performance. Unlike slammed Suburbans, Tahoes, Expeditions, and the like, those are pretty much everyday SUVs and trucks... unless you either get an offroad package or customize it yourself... if you get the offroad package in the first place, you probably wouldn't be lowering it. Kinda the same deal here. Most of us bought the VX because it looks like nothing else out there (or LOOKED like nothing else out there... until lately), and because of its higher ground clearance and capability in the dirty stuff. It's hard enough to find ANYTHING aftermarket made for the VX because of the limited number produced.

Good luck in your findings... there may have to be some trial and error to do what you are thinking of doing.

I can't seem to find the original post/article where I read it but, Todd Adams had custom springs made for his lift.
    I assume that the same company that made the custom springs for his lift could also make custom springs to lower the thing.
    I think they were called springworks or something like that. You should email him (he doesn't visit here much unless it is getting close to ZuZoo) and ask.

Of course my memory may be completely failing me, and it could have been someone else entirely.

Let's not mistaken "lowering" with "slamming". Two totally different things. My cousin loves to correct me all the time on this. He is in a truck club based around slammed trucks. I personally, wouldnt mind losing 2" of height. No, I dont offroad, and I understand the capabilities of the VX. I just choose NOT to use it offroad (I have a 4 wheeler for that). Needless to say, I have to travel a couple of hours just do do that since I live in the city.

In all actuality, slamming a VX and using it for everyday use is sort of limiting. One reason for the initial VX clearance is the profiled undercarriage. With the transfer case being so very visible, lowering the VX at all increases the chances of tearing that puppy up. As for slamming it, well, we all know that a 4WD (TOD) is just not going to be your partner for such a task. Things I am sure we all realise already though. It's always something with the VX. Having an automobile that just isnt as popular as the said Tahoes and Suburbans and such is just a reminder of how much harder we have to dig to get what we want for the VX. The search for mods will continue until the last VX sits in a lot rusting away, heh.

Some like it high, some like it low. Different moats for different castles, and it's hard to judge the king by his castle.

Originally posted by hchen
    ...'cause i want mine to scrape....haha
    This, my friend, is definitely slamming.

I know, he really wants around 2" of lowering. I understand that this is not considered slamming. My whole point was it will be more difficult finding any aftermarket support for the VX compared to, well, almost anything else out there.

It doesn't matter to me one way or another what most people do to their autos... I'm just getting tired of saying that as anything you say can be turned into something negative.

yah lots of negativity...and dallas is right, i was being sarcastic...i work with the import scene and when we drop a car we wanan get it as low to the ground as possible so i was just makin a job about slammin it even tho it's impossible.

anyways, im gonna see if any of my friends in japan can help me search for those guys sellin the lowering kits. 2 inches would be real nice and would do real good with the handling which is waht i mostly care about. im more of a street person than offroading so that's why. if i take it off i'd probably flip it =P

What's a "wanan"?

Talking ummmm

lowering helps cornering lol sorry just had to get in here, i myself love the look of my vx and in my mind (whats left of it) my vx would look better w/less of a gap from the fender to the tire. So yes i to seek to lower - a bit ; ) ...x

Re: ummmm

Originally posted by -x-
    i myself love the look of my vx and in my mind (whats left of it) my vx would look better w/less of a gap from the fender to the tire.
    Said sarcastically, "Thats why you put larger tires on, duhh!"

I just can't imagine lowering a VX. You guys do what you want though.

Oh and Tim I think he ment "wanna" or in English "want to"

EDIT: This post is not intended to offend anyone, just stating my opinion (I reread it and it could have been taken the wrong way)
    Last edited by AlaskaVX : 06/17/2003 at 05:15 PM