Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cladding liner

Cladding liner

I've been looking into lining my cladding, hood insert, and that little piece above the isuzu emblem on the back door and possibly a permanent bra. I've looked at the Durabak brand and they say 1 gallon covers 60 square feet. Anyone out there done this and could give me a rough guess as to how much i'd need? Is there another brand that is better? I'd like this to withstand offroading and rocks scraping it and all that. How well does this stuff bond to the plastic? Or would i be better off taking all this to a rhino lining place in town? Any insight and wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Do a search on gatorback coatings. I am about to do mine with it. Should be superior.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

Beau, when do you plan on doing this? I really want to paint my cladding but if you are gonna do it soon I will wait to see the results.

I've also bought the Gatorback.....200 bucks....Haven't had the time to pull the cladding off to do it. I've seen it on an Avalanche tho...it looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    200 bucks
    Uh, I will keep with my plan then. Paint it is.

I should be ordering it within the week. I am occupied with winch mounting issues currently. It is somewhat spendy, but for the time it takes me to apply the cladding treatment every time I wash it or it rains(and streaks), it becomes cost effective very quickly for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder View Post
    I should be ordering it within the week. I am occupied with winch mounting issues currently. It is somewhat spendy, but for the time it takes me to apply the cladding treatment every time I wash it or it rains(and streaks), it becomes cost effective very quickly for me.
    Exactly, 3 washes a month...20-30mins. (and three bucks worth of product)extra each time....it doesn't take long to equal out. Wash and go, while retaining the original look sounds good to me.

Rocks and junk

Well i looked at there site but from what i can tell and the impression it gives me is that this is more of just a thing to keep that black look. I really want something that will not scratch should a rock or other hard object be scraped along the side. Thats why my immediate thoughts turn to rhino lining type coatings. Or is this gator stuff like what i want?

No, it sounds like you are after Rhino lining/ Line-X.

Heres some examples:
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ghlight=lining

!

Thats what i'm looking for exactly! Now if i were to do it myself (just the cladding and hood insert, not the entire vehicle) how much would i need...hmmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    Exactly, 3 washes a month...20-30mins. (and three bucks worth of product)extra each time....it doesn't take long to equal out. Wash and go, while retaining the original look sounds good to me.
    Who washes their VX 3 times a month? Sick people you are! I'm lucky to wash mine every 3 months!

Knivx Rocks and junk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well i looked at there site but from what i can tell and the impression it gives me is that this is more of just a thing to keep that black look. I really want something that will not scratch should a rock or other hard object be scraped along the side. Thats why my immediate thoughts turn to rhino lining type coatings. Or is this gator stuff like what i want?
    If I ever get around to doing mine (not enough scars yet) it will be Line-X unless something better comes along before that time. Be aware though...none of these products are going to not scratch if you are contacting rocks. They will help but ae not armour. Some body armour will be your best bet for that. Rock sliders, front and rear bumpers, skid plates and maybe some tube fenders might do the trick (along with good driver/spotter skills). In the end though if you want to play you have to be prepared for what ever may come out of it.
    Ask Larry how I handled putting my VX on its side on the wall on Hells Gate. Didn't phase me in the least. I stayed calm and trusted my spotter to get me out of a sticky situation...my wife on the other hand didn't handle it so well when she saw the pictures!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by Knivx View Post
    Thats what i'm looking for exactly! Now if i were to do it myself (just the cladding and hood insert, not the entire vehicle) how much would i need...hmmm.....

I don't think you can buy Line-X for do it yourself use. I believe only "ceftified" shops can apply it (I could be wrong though). I think other here had it done and it ran around $400 for the cladding. The Line-X I like as it comes in a finer form. Rhino always looks to "lumpy" for my taste. The Rhino stuff can be bought for home use though.

?

Yeah well i have an old samurai i've had since high school so that tends to be the rig i really abuse (just got back from bashing around at a friends little course) I plan on sliders for the vx definitely and will be trimming quite a bit off the front and back bottom part of the cladding. I already have a few scrapes in the cladding i just mainly want something so it won't scratch as easily. Tube fenders? Front and rear bumpers? For a VX? Where and how much and all that? I've only found the sliders at rocky-road.

Tube fenders? Front and rear bumpers? For a VX? Where and how much and all that?
    Custom fab...depends on the shop/person. If you have a welder and tube bender only cost is the tube.
    Also check out the Stric9 sliders for the VX. There are a few on here that have 'em...TucsonVX and Biju. They are really nice. They can be a bit hard to contact though since they work out of their garage and the web site is down. I am sure Biju can help with contact info. They will do mine when I get to it (hoping this year somme time) along with custom front/rear bumpers. They are local for me.

*** Off subject alert***
    Those old sammy's rock. Did you happen to see the tin top they built up on Extreme 4x4. They dropped a VW Turbo Diesel in it with a veggy oil kit, exo'd, big axles and tires. It was pretty sweet!