Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: power mode

power mode

anyone know what to check if my power mode button dont light up on the dash and i am not feeling a diffrence in power pushed in or nor?

Quote Originally Posted by zadam123 View Post
    anyone know what to check if my power mode button dont light up on the dash and i am not feeling a diffrence in power pushed in or nor?
    Where to start? Well, you won't necessarily feel a difference in power -- it just changes where the shift points are. I've noticed that it even changes the shift-points while you're parked. Try turning it on while idling in (D). In my experience it causes the transmission to 'clunk' a few seconds later as it downshifts. The RPM might change a little, too. The clunk is a couple seconds after you press the button.

If you aren't getting that, I'd start searching for electrical problems. I believe that the button only goes a couple inches away to the computer below the CD-player. Snapping off the cover and making sure the computer is tightly plugged in probably wouldn't hurt.

Is it just the "Power" mode button, or does pushing the "Winter" mode button not turn on it's indicator light either? And what about the lights under the buttons/switches themselves; do they light up when all other dash and console lights are on? If you get no illumination for the switches, I'd suspect a loose harness connection resulting in a loss of power supply or ground, but if you get illumination of the switches and no dash indicator light, it may be a PCM problem.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Lightbulb

Burnt out bulb ?

I had this happen a few years ago. I was also in the middle of doing some stereo work and had the battery disconnected for a couple hours. Upon reconnecting the battery, the light worked fine.

Maybe the brains need a battery reflash? *shrug*

Worked for me.... worth a try for starters. Seemed to be an isolated, freak incident, but it has not returned.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

"you won't necessarily feel a difference in power -- it just changes where the shift points are."

Absolutely.

The only time I've used mine was while towing. The change in shift points helped to downshift on hills - made a big difference. Soooo....

Try a hard acceleration from stop all the way up to cruising speed with the switch off. Try it again with the switch on. Pay attention to the shift points & look for any change.

Other than that, I'll second the motion to do a computer reset first since that's easiest. Just disconnect the battery for 30 minutes - reconnect & try 'er out.

Second, check all fuses (next easiest)

Third, start tracing the wires from the switch to the computer looking for broken or frayed wires or loose connectors.

After that, I haven't a clue.

Be sure to post whatever you find.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

I honestly have to disagree with the sentiment that you do not feel a power increase. When I drive in Power Mode, especially at highway speeds, I feel a much faster response time when I accelerate, as well as faster acceleration.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    I honestly have to disagree with the sentiment that you do not feel a power increase. When I drive in Power Mode, especially at highway speeds, I feel a much faster response time when I accelerate, as well as faster acceleration.
    Well, maybe I said that wrong. It doesn't make the engine any more powerful, it just keeps it in a lower gear for longer, and drops into a lower gear more easily.

Aside from the idle test, the other place you will see the power button do anything is when you're on the highway, climbing up hill. If you punch the power button then, the transmission will drop into a lower gear. If you turn the switch off, it will drop back into high.

When power mode is off, the shift points are too conservative, in my not-so-humble opinion -- especially at highway speeds. You really have to stomp on the pedal to get it to downshift. So, I usually drive with power mode on. I like it to just GO when I press the gas. I don't want it to sit there and ponder.

No power button:
    "Go!"
    "Give me a second...I'm sure I can get an extra 5MPH from this gear..."
    "Yeah, but it'll take you a half mile and the better part of a minute! I need to pass this guy NOW, before I get blocked by the guy with six tons of hay on the trailer!"
    "Okay, okay, I suppose I'll drop into passing gear..."

Power button:
    "Go!"
    "Gone."

Quote Originally Posted by mdwyer View Post

No power button:
    "Go!"
    "Give me a second...I'm sure I can get an extra 5MPH from this gear..."
    "Yeah, but it'll take you a half mile and the better part of a minute! I need to pass this guy NOW, before I get blocked by the guy with six tons of hay on the trailer!"
    "Okay, okay, I suppose I'll drop into passing gear..."

Power button:
    "Go!"
    "Gone."
    That is what I mean!

Bart

Yeah,

Whoa - what was that black streak that just went by...

Must be on his way to Moab...

But why was he wearing a gasmask?

Ida know

Sorry - killing time waiting on a phone call

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Yeah,

Whoa - what was that black streak that just went by...

Must be on his way to Moab...

But why was he wearing a gasmask?

Ida know

Sorry - killing time waiting on a phone call
    Well, not quite THAT fast!

Bart

so..Im new to all this fancy auto stuff..
    so I can push the power button while im driving down the road?
    what will i gain?
    will it mess up my trany?
    thx
    -----------------------------------------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by don moore View Post
    what will i gain?
    thx
    -----------------------------------------
    Yes

Snappier acceleration...it raises the shift points

No

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by don moore View Post
    what will i gain?
    thx
    Here's what I do:

As I approach the on ramp to the highway, I grit my teeth, grasp the wheel until my knuckles go white, cringe and simply voice the command "POWER PLEASE". Then suddenly, as if my VX were listening to my order, just like Kit, a blast of power is given forth, and a whisp of thick black tar with two red glowing eyes streaks through the troposphere for just a few moments. As the force of the propulsion nearly causes a sudden release of bodily fluids, I leave the Tercels and Super Dutys of the world in a cloud of high desert dust.

(Actually, I have been trying to train the wife to press the power button for me, when I say "POWER PLEASE", so that my rediculously childish mind can imagine the above with ease. However, I haven't quite got her to do it for me yet. :bgwg

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    (Actually, I have been trying to train the wife to press the power button for me, when I say "POWER PLEASE", so that my rediculously childish mind can imagine the above with ease. However, I haven't quite got her to do it for me yet. :bgwg

Bart
    Since the action would benefit the both of you, maybe saying something more along the lines of "Wonder Twins Power Activate!" would achieve the desired result? (Yeah, I'm a cartoon geek from way back in the day).