Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: HD DVD format dead?

HD DVD format dead?

Now that Warner Bros. has gone exclusively Blu ray and Netflix and Best Buy now plan to go BR (like Blockbuster already did last year), what shall I do with my Toshiba HD A35 HD DVD player? I guess I could always use it as a door stop, unless anyone here wants a good deal on one?

Yeah, I am kinda pissed about this issue as well. My wife bought me the HD version of the Blade Runner box set for Xmas and I was planning to get an HD player next month but now that seems kind of pointless. I only have 2 HD DVDs, one being the box set, so I guess I should just bite the bullet and buy the Blu-ray version now and try my luck selling the HD version on eBay.

Its just so stupid.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by UtahVXer View Post
    Now that Warner Bros. has gone exclusively Blu ray and Netflix and Best Buy now plan to go BR (like Blockbuster already did last year), what shall I do with my Toshiba HD A35 HD DVD player? I guess I could always use it as a door stop, unless anyone here wants a good deal on one?

I'm sick of how they dribble-out technology,so you have to buy the new stuff every year. I've basically decided not to buy much else.I'm spending my money on experiences(Moab trips) ect. One more big ticket item,when the VX dies. Rubicon
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harness View Post
    I'm sick of how they dribble-out technology,so you have to buy the new stuff every year. I've basically decided not to buy much else.I'm spending my money on experiences(Moab trips) ect. One more big ticket item,when the VX dies. Rubicon
    Scott, I am wholeheartedly with you. There is no replacement for memories. Problem is, I'm a movie junkie. I could care less about TV, but I love my movies. I have been low-tech with my TV and audio system for YEARS, and now its time to upgrade. But I do agree, it is BS how they just keep changing stuff, so we have to buy new, and the landfills just get bigger and bigger. I read somewhere once that like a huge percentage of landfills are computers and other outdated technological hardware...

Bart

I am unabashedly slow-tech for just this sorta reason....plus, by the time I get to it....it's a lot cheaper. Cutting edge is pricey

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    I could care less about TV, but I love my movies.
    Me too. I don't subscribe to cable TV just cable Internet ($60/month). Instead of spending $720 to $1,200 per year on TV, I buy movies and TV on DVD. I like it because at lease I have something tangable for my money.

I have not gone HD yet. Still getting enjoyment out of DVD and the old VHS that all of the stores unloading as fast as they can. I have purchased a lot any where from a dollar to a quarter. To me they are still good.

Quote Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
    Me too. I don't subscribe to cable TV just cable Internet ($60/month). Instead of spending $720 to $1,200 per year on TV, I buy movies and TV on DVD.
    Yup, cable TV is a complete sham. I know people that pay like $130+/month for all this TV and Tevo and DVR and all that. And you know, its the same programming, over and over and over. Unless you are a sports junkie, I see no reason to pay for cable TV. Netflix is the greatest thing to happen to a movie lover ever. And as for TV, I can pretty much rent whatever I want. In fact, I just finished season one of Dexter and season one of Deadwood. Its much nicer to watch the DVDs also. I don't have to watch at a certain time, or schedule my day around a TV show. And I can watch them all back to back if I want....

But anyway, back to the Blu-ray HD thing. I don't really understand how Blu-ray won out. To me, HD seemed a little more universal. And with Blu-ray being proprietary, I figured HD would certainly win out...

Also, if you have a HD camcorder, and you want to put your home movies on DVD, how does one do that? Do you have to have some sort of Blu-ray editing software with a Blu-ray burner and Blu-ray media? I wonder how all that works???

Bart

I guess someday I'll have to replace my 8-Track audio system and Betamax video system. Oh well...progress!

Blu-ray is the better format if you compare the two. For that reason I bought a Blu-ray player at xmas time when they were $299. It goes good with the 42" 1080i tv. And the programs that I watch are so much better in with the hi def cable box. shawn
    1COOLVX

Greetings!
    I too am sad to see that Blu has apparently won the format war. Just another example that the general public dosen't want what's best, just what they are told is the best
    In my experience, having first owned a high end HD DVD player (Toshiba XA2), that format seemed more stable. I kept hearing how Blu was supposed to be the superior format, but was hearing of many Blu owners complaing about latest releases not playing on the player they owned.
    I recently purchased a Samsung hybrid dual format (HD DVD & BluRay) player. I was getting tired of all the infighting and claims from both sides about who would win.
    I intially went HD DVD, as there were more movies available from the onset that I was interested in (Sky Captain, Last Samurai, King Kong, Coprse Bride & Forbidden Planet) to name a few. The original player I had also had the bonus of an upconverting chip called the Renon, which by all reports was one of the best available.
    On my professionally calibrated 61 inch 1080p TV, I really did see a huge difference in picture quality since the HD media (HD DVD & BluRay) both have about 3 times the information and resolution that we are used to seeing with standard DVD's.
    The picture quality also blows away HD cable or satalite def signals, since those are compressed up the wazoo for broadcast.
    The final benefit was, as I mentioned,the superb upconversion of my standard def DVD collection to near HD picture quality.
    After a year or so, I heard a rumor of a hybrid player coming to the market that would play both HD formats, and have the same Renon upconverting chip from my previous HD DVD only player. I was sold. There were Blu films that I was missing, even though it was possible to purchase imported HD DVD versions of domestic Blu movies, but not all of them, Disney being a prime example.
    One final added benefit of HD media is that they offer lossless (uncompressed) audio formats as well, so if you have a nice surround system to go with your HDTV, you can experience the best possible picture AND sound. I really did not realize untill I had a great system how important the sound was to a great home theater experience.
    To this point, there has not been a HD media player available that did not have some limitations, or that did not need firmware to upgrade features. That being said, the Samsung hybrid player I now have is not perfect, but does have the potential to be the best player on the market. I don't have to worry about which format wins, and can enjoy all that HD DVD and BluRay has to offer.
    Best,
    James
    snowtrooper1966
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have a Sith sense....I see Darth people...

Quote Originally Posted by psychos2 View Post
    Blu-ray is the better format if you compare the two. For that reason I bought a Blu-ray player at xmas time when they were $299. It goes good with the 42" 1080i tv. And the programs that I watch are so much better in with the hi def cable box. shawn
    Frankly, I don't care. I've bought into neither of them. Regular DVDs look good enough to me on a 42" 1080i TV. They'd look even better if I had an up-converting DVD player, and I still wouldn't be out upgrading my library AGAIN.

But the best part is that I haven't sold my soul to Hollywood any more than I already have. Really, the only player I'm looking for right now is one that ignores the "Prevented User Operations" codes.

I get livid every time a disc won't let me skip the endless FBI warnings and disclaimers and commercials...

James, what Samsung player do you have? I think this will be a good option for me.

Thanks- Bart

Hey, Bart!
    I have the Samsung BD-UP5000.
    This player is not cheep 600 to 800, and as I said, does have some isuues. The biggest has to do with it not playing the advanced lossless audio I mentioned in my post. Samsung has promised a firmware upgrade (via internet), but this may be a few months off.
    Thay being said, the unit is almost worth the price alone if you have alot of standard DVD's for it's upscaling capabilites alone. Oh yea, it also plays BluRays AND HD DVD's
    Do you have or are you considering buying a big HDTV that would benefit from the outstanding picture this player puts out?
    Best,
    James
    snowtrooper1966

Hey James,

Yes. I am buying the newest Sony Bravia 52" 1080p LCD when I move. Attached to it I would like a top of the line HD/Blu-Ray player, a PS3, and a cheap-o all region DVD player (so I can play DVDs and VCDs from other countries, etc) and a good 5.1 surround sound system.

So yeah, if I can get a good DVD player that does both HD and Blu-ray, I am sold. Does the Samsung you have output at 1080i or 1080p?

Bart

Bart,
    The Samsung BD-UP5000 will output at all the resolutions. It's 1080p native, but user can select, depending on how the 5K is attached to other hardware (receiver/TV). I would recommend a HDMI 1.3 compliant TV and surround receiver to get the most out of the three formats: HD DVD, BluRay and existing standard definition DVD's.
    James