Thread: Isuzu to End Car Sales In North America in 2009

Exclamation Isuzu to End Car Sales In North America in 2009

Source: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1201...googlenews_wsj

Isuzu to End Car Sales
    In North America in 2009
    By KATHY SHWIFF
    January 30, 2008 4:12 p.m.

Isuzu Motors Ltd. said it would discontinue distributing new passenger vehicles in North America, effective Jan. 31, 2009.

The move is the result of General Motors Corp. ending production of the Ascender sport utility vehicle and the i-290 and i-370 pickup trucks. GM has recorded no Isuzu sales since July, while 2007 sales dropped 50% to 7,906.

"It has always been our intention to remain in the U.S. market," said Terry Maloney, president of Isuzu's North American operations. "However, we were unable to secure any commercially viable replacements for these vehicles."

Isuzu will continue to honor all product warranties and roadside assistance programs. It also will maintain its owner-relations call center.

To assure long-term service to its customers, Isuzu will offer all current U.S. Isuzu vehicle dealers the opportunity to continue on as service dealerships. Mr. Maloney said, "Our parts and service operation will remain fully functional. We expect the vast majority of our dealers will continue as service-only dealers."

Isuzu has had a presence in North America for decades, and sales topped 100,000 annually in the 1990s. But consumer demand waned, and GM ultimately sold its 8% stake in Isuzu two years ago.

I'm calling Merlin right now with a large parts order!!!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Sweet...should be able to pick up whole vehicles cheap as parts pigs when the majority panic & bail.

I wonder if this applies to their commercial vehicles. My employer's delivery trucks are almost exclusively Isuzus. They fit in well with our hippie mentality. We're even trying out some hybrid models.

http://www.corporateexpress.com/pres...ss_012108.html

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by mdwyer View Post
    I wonder if this applies to their commercial vehicles. My employer's delivery trucks are almost exclusively Isuzus. They fit in well with our hippie mentality. We're even trying out some hybrid models.

http://www.corporateexpress.com/pres...ss_012108.html
    The article states "passenger vehicles". I'm guessing Isuzu will continue to maintain a strong presence in the light commercial category.

What do you expect when you only sell two models and they are both available under the GM brand.

Although, I was hopping after the ties with GM was over that they would release a new product line

A new version of the impulse, trooper, and rodeo would have been great. Maybe even a mini eco friendly car.

depressing news, but not unexpected
    I've had two Alfa's in the past and they've fled these shores decades ago, people would always look at me in amazement and wonder how the cars got serviced and I got parts, if there's a market, there's a way!

Alfa is coming back to America in 2009, and Mitsubishi who now has a stake in Isuzu probably didn't want the competition in the USA. Although, I must add that six months ago the Isuzu people I spoke to said they'd seen an all new Isuzu model on the drawing board for the USA. Perhaps the pending US recession made them not take the gamble.

I noticed they didnt have an area in the floorplan of the Philly Auto Show.. guess thats why.. wont change my maintence too much, my VX has only been to a dealer once in 2 years

We lost our Isuzu dealership quite some time ago & recently lost our Mitsubishi dealership too.

At this rate, the next car I buy may HAVE to be American
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.