Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: UHAUL Tow Hitch - anyone has one?

UHAUL Tow Hitch - anyone has one?

Hi,

I am familiar with Tone's tow hitch but I am researching my other options. My local UHAUL offers a tow hitch for VX for $176.00 installed. They do not have one in stock since it has to be special ordered, so I am not sure how it looks. I was wondering if anyone has one installed? Any comments? Would love to see what it looks like installed.

Thanks

U-Haul Hitch

Hey,
    I just had the U-Haul hitch installed about a month ago. I was going to order one Tone's, but I needed something installed within a week for a road trip. I am extremely pleased with the hitch, especially that it had a 2" receiver, as opposed to the tiny 1 1/4" size. I am at work right now, but I will take pictures and post here over the weekend. The only thing that I did not like about the install was that they had to cut extra holes in the frame to get the nuts in. I like the way that the VX tows, except for the gas mileage. Wow, this little beast can guzzle some petrol.
    Neal

I was looking into the Uhaul one originally but it hangs too low. When I saw the results of Tones hitch and how stock it looks, I would never consider anything else. We are all on this board to give the best advice possible and believe me Tone's looks amazing and I'm sorry I ever looked anywhere else, I am super happy with his along with the Westin step bar.

First of, thank you all for your replies and opinions. This forum and it's people are the greatest.

As I mentioned, I have seen Tone's hitch and - no doubt - it is a sample of a great craftsmanship and I am sure it looks and works great. But before saying that other hitches look bad don't forget that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I actually LOVE the way this tow hitch looks on Swordy's VX here (I don't know if this the same as UHaul hitch or not):

I actually think it gives VX even more aggressive and powerful look. I agree that it does not look stock but I don't really care if an accessory such as a tow hitch looks stock or not. I am also fine with the fact that it hangs lower because I think it actually provides some protection as SPAZZ mentioned above. Another interesting thing is that it does not require any metal or cladding cutting so it is not a permanent mod. I am assuming it could be removed without leaving any trace besides any wholes that they might drill underneath.

As I mentioned, I am just researching my options and wanted to get some opinions and possibly pictures of the UHaul hitch installed. V-Twin hiCROSS, if you can snap one for me that would be great! Thank you all.
    Last edited by Yefim : 06/13/2003 at 01:11 PM

I offer the hitch in 2” receiver primarily but can do the 1.25” if someone wants. I believe the hitch offered by Uhaul is made by Dalan - does require you to loose both rear frame mount extraction points.

FYI, if you live in a salt/humid area, i would suggest buying and striping crappy paint and repaint right. I have a dinan hitch and it is starting to rust after a year... will look like sheot soon if i dont strip and re-paint.

on cutting holes in frame, it is not necessary if you take the rear bumper cover off. was a big pain in the arse but i dont like the ideas of putting more places for rust to start. btw, you have to drill 2 holes for the dinan hitch. it uses the 2 from the tow hooks and needs 2 more. If you decide to fish the bolt/washers through the end of the frame rail, there are a few tools that make it easier. I have one of those little pincher things that is used if you drop something down into a small area, like a nonmetallic bolt... you can pick up with this tool. A magnet on a stick is good also. Pincher worked well to fish the bolt up to the holes. Oh, and there are gussets in the end of the frame rail that make it a little more difficult to get them in. It took me 3 hours to pull bumper cover and install…. Also, If you have a small ratcheting wrench with a torqx bit then you don’t have to pull the side body cladding. Just have to cram a 2x4 in there to hold it back while you remove the rear cover bolts. Like I said pain in the arse.
    Anthony

2000, Victory White, IronMan edition, #0329

Previous owner installed a Uhaul

My temporarily out of commission IronMan has a U-Haul hitch on it.
    However it is a 1 1/4" not the 2"

Yes it is rusting right around the reciever... and once I get her back, and it stops raining, I plan on looking into removing it, stripping it and refinishing it.

I don't plan on towing, but if I need to, its nice to know it is there.

Unfortunately, not being a 2", I cant consider the Westin Step - which I really think could look great along with a set of Tone's Nerf bars.

I will post a pic of the hitch when I get it back.

Adapters are avail to make a 1.25 accept 2” accessories - cheap plug in tube that goes from 1.25 to 2.

Huh? I have only seen the opposite

I have only seen an adapter that goes from a 2" reciever to a 1 1/4" tongue...

If you know where I could find the reverse, please post the link here?

Thanks!

P.S. what is the best way to strip something like a tow hitch?
    I don't have access to a sand blaster.

And as for the rust, a Rustoleum primer?

Any recommendations on a durable top layer?
    Last edited by Spike : 06/15/2003 at 05:51 AM

Post Trailer Hitch

I checked with my local U-Haul dealer (Glenside, PA) and they sell only one hitch that is actually listed for a VX. It is a class 3 hitch that sells for $170.00 plus installation. Part # 757235.
    I am giving serious thought of having one installed.

First find on google: http://www.a1-autoracks.com/hitchadapt.html
    PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS
    - # HTAD Converts 1-1/4" to 2" hitch receiver.
    - # HTO2 Converts 2" to 1-1/4" hitch receiver.
    - Great way to convert your trailer hitch receiver to
    _____ accommodate hitch mounted accessories, bike racks
    _____ and cargo carriers.

that is the same part # as dalan. and i would also suggest to paint before installing.or even paint with line x or something like that.also i used the 2 bolts to hold the hitch in place and had it welded to the frame.here are some pics of the hitch in action.
    http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...ser=64&thumb=1

shawn
    1COOLVX

Thumbs up Thanks Tone

Very nice, I gotta find the actual dimensions on those.

Might stick out a bit too far. By the time you put the adapter on, and then the step bar... could stick too far from the back of the vehice and look silly.

Also, I wonder if it would rattle.

I had mine- the Uhaul version, stripped and double powder coated with black wrinkle. They rust like crazy-I have a streetbike and haul it ala moto rack style. Tone's I don't believe I could of used in confidence with 400+ weight hanging like that. Tone's is tighter and better ergos, but function won out on form on this one-
    Hope you all are well.
    peace
    dylan
    face the mirror

Tongue weight ”rating“ is only 350lbs on the Dalan - mine is 500lbs but either should work for most hitching uses - it comes down to installation and looks. I think they all rust eventually and the powdercoating delays it the longest.
    Last edited by Tone : 06/17/2003 at 09:35 AM