Thread: Oil dash light

Oil dash light

my oil dash light flashes almos everytime i break does anyone know what does this mean do i have to change the oil or is my vx about to explode lol
    isnt it supposed to stay on if need to change the oil? how can i fix this!

Generally the oil light comes on when your oil level is low...NOT A GOOD THING! Have you checked the oil level rescently? I recommend you do this before driving it again. Driving with low oil levels is not good for the life of your engine.
    If you find your oil level is okay then I would check the connector to the oil sender and the wires from there to the guage.
    Good Luck!!!!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

The oil dash light is triggered by low oil pressure; it is not an oil change reminder light.

Low oil level can cause low pressure, but if your oil level is OK and the light still comes on when you brake, you need to find out what is causing it. Get the oil pressure checked by a shop to see if in fact the light is correctly indicating a problem, then get it fixed.

Otherwise you may be #48 on the engine failure poll

andif in fact it is low oil pressure can the shop fix it? i would check my oil level but its so freaking cold outside lol but it looks like today is warming up a little so ill check and im going to take it to a shop today

i usuallyu check it often but it just had a tune up like a month ago thought it would be fine for a while then i went to mexico for vacations for a month and just got back a week ago and i just noticed the problem im taking it right after this to get it checked but dont they change the oil everytime you get a tune up?

BE VERY CAUTIOUS RIGHT NOW.

I suspect the oil light flashing on and off to mean that your oil isn't bone dry, but the g forces from you braking pulls the oil away from the sensor, so it basically "looks" extremely low for a moment, even though it is not that low. Either way, you need to add or change oil before doing anything at this point! Your oil situation right now could mean the kiss of death for your motor. Every second you drive low like that basically causes extreme wear inside your engine. Add that to the fact that higher oil viscosity while cold at startup is even more damaging. Also, if your oil is old enough to be that low, it is probably not lubricating very well, either.

It could be a sensor malfunction, but unless you check the oil, I'm erring on the side of caution here.

CHECK YOUR OIL.

I check mine once a week at least. If I went a month without checking it would be scary.

Bart

Everytime i see a thread like this it makes me wonder how people git drivers licenses,if u dont know how to or how often u should check fluid levels and have regular maintenance done it makes me question weather u should be behind the wheel of an automobile among other drivers,scarrrryywhy own something if u dont know how to properly take care of it,i just dont git it,sorry im not trying to belittle anyone but its just facts and reality.

Quote Originally Posted by WILLY View Post
    Everytime i see a thread like this it makes me wonder how people git drivers licenses,if u dont know how to or how often u should check fluid levels and have regular maintenance done it makes me question weather u should be behind the wheel of an automobile among other drivers,scarrrryywhy own something if u dont know how to properly take care of it,i just dont git it,sorry im not trying to belittle anyone but its just facts and reality.
    Well, when you let the dealer take care of things, and/or drive a car that doesn't burn oil, you tend to not think about those things. I was a little embarassed with myself when I popped the hood of my Subaru and stared dumbly for what felt like over a minute. I had totally forgotten where the dipstick was.

PS: Here's a couple extra periods; I've got plenty: . . .

i have never had to check anything in my cars i live in mexico and i got a bunch of nice cars and the dealer taes care of everything they go get checked everything believe me now that im living by myself im not used to this lol thats why i had no idea

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    I can see by your recent photo uploads, that a blown motor in your VX won't have much of an effect on your life in general...just have the folks send a replacement vehicle & off ya go.