Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Adjusting Your Vehicle's Side-View Mirror For Safety

Adjusting Your Vehicle's Side-View Mirror For Safety

Since we have visibility issues with the VX, thought I'd pass this along. I've been using this method for about a year now and it does work - it just takes a while to get used to. This actually came out as a safety bulletin where I work and the write up was better. I'll post the other write up if I can find it.

http://safetynet.smis.doi.gov/SideMirrorAdj.htm

Blind spots resulting from the positioning of rear-view mirrors on vehicles are responsible for many accidents. Most experienced drivers with accident-free records have experienced a near miss due to blind spots. Mirrors are often positioned where the driver's view is not directed properly to view potential dangers. Cell phone users are more likely not to check mirrors when driving and talking. Also, many drivers have experienced fender benders and far worse from "not seeing the other car" due to improperly positioned mirrors and failure to check blind spots.

Many of us learned to position the outside left and right side-view mirrors by adjusting them until you just view the side of the vehicle while sitting in the driver's seat. This method still leaves dangerous blind spots.

A method of adjusting outside mirrors that is becoming increasingly popular positions each mirror so that the driver does not view the side of the vehicle. This position allows a trailing vehicle to be observed immediately after its view is lost from the inside center rear-view mirror; assuming that this center mirror is properly adjusted.

To adjust the side-view mirrors properly, one moves slightly to the left and right of normal driving position, and adjusts the mirrors to just view the side of the vehicle. This can be accomplished by placing your head on the driver's window while adjusting the left side mirror, and by sitting in the center of the vehicle while adjusting the right side mirror.

Always remember that to be 100% certain there is not a car in your blind spot - LOOK - when preparing to change lanes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Here is the other write up. BTW, it's easy and is a logical step to minimize blind spots - BUT it takes getting used to.

"Excerpts from National Safety Council on Safe Driving

Some of the most serious preventable accidents occur because of blind spots while driving! Now there is a remarkable simple solution discovered by an engineer named George Platter. He presented his method at the prestigious Society of Automotive Engineers.

The National Safety Council tested his theory and discovered, to their amazement, that it works! The method has been fully endorsed by the National Safety Council as described in their September/October issue of Traffic Safety. Here’s how it works.

First, forget how we learned to adjust our outside mirrors by plopping behind the steering wheel and turning the mirrors so that we just saw the side of our car looking back at us in the mirrors.

Instead, adjust the driver’s side mirror by resting your head against the driver’s side window and then turning the mirror so that you just see the side of your car.

Once this is set, move to the center of the vehicle and turn the passenger side mirror so that you can just see the side of your car from the center of the vehicle.

That’s it. You won’t see your own car in either mirror, yet what you will see is far better. Cars behind you sow up as usual I the inside rear-view mirror above the dash, but the instant the car leaves you field of vision from the rear-view mirror the outside mirror picks it up. No blind spot; no delays, no wondering where that car about to pass you has disappeared to, and no waiting a few seconds for the car that you just saw in your rear-view mirror to show up in your outside mirrors.

All three mirrors work in harmony with one another, and the blind spot has been eliminated!"

Really?

"Cars behind you sow up as usual I the inside rear-view mirror above the dash"

That may work for most cars but in the VX the only thing the VX rear view mirror is good for is spotting highway patrol planes.

It's good for seeing if you have anything stuck in your teeth too.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

I have a fresnel lense about 9x12 inches that I was thinking about placing somewhere on the rear window. Probably I would cut it down and experiment with placement of one or more smaller pieces. I don't want to place it smack in the middle. That might block too much of what there is that I can see. Anyone tried and succeeded with this concept?

Navi

spike has a rounded lens in the center of his back window, called "van eyes" i think, works simiar to what you are talking about, does an ok job showing if something is there, but no details, could be a sheep, could be a humvee, no real way to tell heh

When I get the in-dash GPS, it will also be the sound system, etc. and back up camera. But I think it is illegal to have the camera functioning while the shift level is in the DRIVE position. Supposed to only work in the REVERSE position. But having a good, clear view of exactly what is behind you at all times right on your dash would be very, very nice.

Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

OK, so the process is only valid if you can see out of your rear view mirror. Try to impart some basic knowlege on a bunch of gear heads - what dya get - GRIEF.

Zeus, I like your solution. I bet the added visibility comes in handy with all that extra 0.05% throttle response.

i think the most important thing is to know where your blind spots are.. i adjusted my mirrors to where i liked them and using a parked car in a fairly empty parking lot to check exactly where my blind spots are, now i know exactly what i can and cant see

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    OK, so the process is only valid if you can see out of your rear view mirror. Try to impart some basic knowlege on a bunch of gear heads - what dya get - GRIEF.

Zeus, I like your solution. I bet the added visibility comes in handy with all that extra 0.05% throttle response.
    Hey that's point one percent there buddy! Get it right!

I reworked the math & it comes out to 0.06% so I'll accept your rounding up

No lightning bolts down my shorts this time.

Ahh, but dad...

Don't make me gimp over there & smack your smart ***.

I was thinking about it the other day. When I told you to call me Vulcan, I was actually thinking about Thor ... ooops. Vulcan had a gimpy leg & let Zeus whop his butt. Thor is cool tho. Can I change or am I stuck with Vulcan.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Don't make me gimp over there & smack your smart ***.

I was thinking about it the other day. When I told you to call me Vulcan, I was actually thinking about Thor ... ooops. Vulcan had a gimpy leg & let Zeus whop his butt. Thor is cool tho. Can I change or am I stuck with Vulcan.
    Nah, that's no good... How about Hephaestus? That way you can keep your hammer to split my head open, yet remain ugly AND crippled!