Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DIY metal parts via CNC online

Thumbs up DIY metal parts via CNC online

Greetings,

I've not used this service for VX parts but it was a life saver for some custom parts I needed on other cars.

It is www.eMachineshop.com --you download their free CAD program, make your design, upload it for a quote, and then they machine it and send it to you.

I've had things made in nylon, stainless steel, and aluminum. Simple things in cheap metals are actually not too pricey.

Of course, the trade off, is that you have to design it, but the software only takes a couple days to become comfortable with (although I'm no expert.)

Regards,

Mark
    Last edited by Moncha : 08/24/2009 at 05:45 PM

I've used this service several times myself. made some parts for my RC car and some stuff for my eclipse... I've made some stuff for the VX, but never sent it in for protos... great service for those that don't want to find and deal with an actuall shop...
    01 VX Kaiser | Love it! Drive it! Mod it! MYVEHICROSS.com | VX-WIKI

Rancho RS9000X | VXC Shifter Plates | PV2 | Hella Micro DE fogs | Carbon Fiber Hood | AfterShock Skid Plates (front, rear, sides)

So, what is there web site? Might be a fix for the VX emblem that is no longer available.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

eMachineshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by rowhard View Post
    So, what is there web site? Might be a fix for the VX emblem that is no longer available.
    Already working on that

I've been familiar with the site for years and know several folk who have had good results dealing with them. Knigh7s, how was the set-up charge compared to final value for the parts you had done? I'm initially looking to have a custom stainless tabernacle done for my sailboat and it appears it would more economical to use them than to have it done locally. It's getting more and more difficult to find a decent local machine shop that does much more than basic services.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Joe,
    Im on my laptop right now, I'll have to double check when i can access my computer.

with my pockets, the items where somewhat expensive for one off pieces. but the prices did get lower as the quantity went up. if sold you would easily make a decent return. They have this "rapid prototyping" option for cheaper testing. Only thing I didnt like was some limitations to the software.

got it on my favs ..got some ideas also..hmmmm
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...

Quote Originally Posted by rowhard View Post
    Hey Rowhard, I've contacted AUTORACERX and he has given me the ok to use his design (Thx RacerX) and since I have access to a Laser I am tweeking to get the size just right. I've made some test runs and I'm almost satisfied. Mati used is .036" (20 gauge)Stainless, One set in the pic is the pvc coating (film) removed, the others are still covered...my range of mati thickness is 24 gauge to 16 gauge. I'll start a new post when all's good...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    " Jeeps are nice, Barbie has one"

how much for 2 VXs.....??

'01 Ebony Black VX, 0801; '01 Kaiser Silver VX, 1002
    VCrossfan, I would be interested in a couple of those VX emblems myself......

VCrossfan, excellent, excellent. I'm sure the membership will be more then happy to buy these from you. I already has the orginal one installed.

Quote Originally Posted by VCrossfan View Post
    Hey Rowhard, I've contacted AUTORACERX and he has given me the ok to use his design (Thx RacerX) and since I have access to a Laser I am tweeking to get the size just right. I've made some test runs and I'm almost satisfied. Mati used is .036" (20 gauge)Stainless, One set in the pic is the pvc coating (film) removed, the others are still covered...my range of mati thickness is 24 gauge to 16 gauge. I'll start a new post when all's good...

I would buy one also! Be sure to post when you get them done.:bgwg:

OK OK, Lets not steal reptiles thread, (Sorry reptile my fault) . I will start a new Thread once I get everything ironed out...

Making parts is fun

Hey, its all good. I love it when people get together and create stuff.

I must admit that the titanium fangs on the VX are sweet. I wish more stuff was made of titanium. It is one of my favorite metals.

Cheers,

Mark

I figured I better download that software and mess around with it before I really need it. That stuff is fantastic! With some practice ya can design literally anything, no matter how complex.

I designed a 3" steel cube with .5" holes thru the center from all sides with some rounded edges and lettering machined .5" deep, in a short time.

This is part of the workspace with a front view of the finished design-

This is a small video of the 3D view of the cube in a few different modes. It's very smooth, full screen, and higher quality when you're actually using the software.

20 seconds, 1.83 mb, 320x240, wmv file-
    http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/vids/vxcube.wmv

Great stuff! Give it a try.

Mark Griffin
    Last edited by deermagnet : 01/17/2008 at 11:59 AM