Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Checking oil: Hot or Cold

Checking oil: Hot or Cold

OK, dumb question: When is the BEST time to check your oil? When the VX is cold (first thing in the morning) or when the VX is hot (after a drive)?

I'm just curious because I notice when my VX is cold, the oil will be lower on the dipstick. I want to make sure I am not over/under filling (which seems to happen almost as much as I get gas).

Bart

I always check it cold. Reason: consistency. The vehicle should sit for a while to allow all of the oil that was circulated through the engine to settle back into the pan. (I know ... not all of the oil goes back into the pan but the majority does). This should give you the most consistent reading.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

I have been told to run the engin till warm and cut it off,wait 5 minutes then check.

i always check at the gas station.. i wait until im finished fillin her up so its been sitting for 3-4 minutes.. i notice a big difference between when i check as i pull in and after refueling

slightly off topic..

i was thinking about this the other day.. i wonder how much oil i lose just from checking the oil every 250-300 miles because i always pull out the dipstick, wipe it clean, and check it again.. and usually just out of habit wipe it clean again

"i wonder how much oil i lose just from checking the oil every 250-300 miles because i always pull out the dipstick, wipe it clean, and check it again"

Prolly only a table spoon or 2 between oil changes. Try wiping with your fingers sometime. Not as much on the stick as you might think (only 1-2 drops).

Yeah, checking cold in the morning today, there was barely any oil on the stick.

I added a half quart or so.

Bart

Cold in the AM and warm (after sitting 10 mins. or so) Shouldn't be that much different.

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Yeah, checking cold in the morning today, there was barely any oil on the stick.

I added a half quart or so.

Bart
    U only added a half a quart when there was barely any on the stick.

Quote Originally Posted by WILLY View Post
    U only added a half a quart when there was barely any on the stick.
    Well, after adding half a quart, it went back up to the fill line on the stick....

Bart

Weird I would think you have more in the mornings cause all the oil has settled in the pan. I also normally check mine at the gas station, unless the VX has been sitting for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by CrnCnn View Post
    Weird I would think you have more in the mornings cause all the oil has settled in the pan. I also normally check mine at the gas station, unless the VX has been sitting for a few days.
    Well, I think after a drive, more oil is sloshing around in there so more appears on the dip stick? I really don't know. All I know, is I don't like it.

Bart

I slightly over-filled mine one time. The crazy thing was I noticed much less oil consumption, it didn't go below the 'max' line until just before the next oil change. So I figure I lost about 1/2 quart after 3000 miles. I kicked it around for a while that maybe I would always over-fill but wasn't sure what that would do to the motor. Any ideas?
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

buddy of mine overfilled his jeep by a quart.. less than 500 miles later he had oil blowing all over the engine that caught on fire

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    I slightly over-filled mine one time. The crazy thing was I noticed much less oil consumption, it didn't go below the 'max' line until just before the next oil change. So I figure I lost about 1/2 quart after 3000 miles. I kicked it around for a while that maybe I would always over-fill but wasn't sure what that would do to the motor. Any ideas?
    Hmmm, I've done that before as well. And after a good drive, the oil is still above the fill line, but eventually, it always drops for me. My oil consumption levels are definitely a result of how I drive. Back and forth to work I get "normal VX oil consumption" but when I go over the mountains with lots of hard, uphill highway driving, its a lot worse.

I just can't imagine with all the mechanics and tech heads out there, that someone hasn't found the EXACT cause of this. I mean, it must be a defect, that would be the only thing that explains why it hasn't been fixed....

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    I just can't imagine with all the mechanics and tech heads out there, that someone hasn't found the EXACT cause of this. I mean, it must be a defect, that would be the only thing that explains why it hasn't been fixed....

Bart
    Or it's all a myth... Hi Joe! j/k