Thread: rodeo parts exchange question

rodeo parts exchange question

If anybody's bored, I'd appreciate a quick picture of your front wheel speed sensors.

I'm thinking about ordering ABS sensors for a Rodeo, since they look like they're probably the same. They're also about $250 cheaper (each!) than if I get them from St. Charles Isuzu.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ISUZU...0370QQtcZphoto
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ISUZU...0406QQtcZphoto

I doubt the Rodeo parts are gonna work. We have a Trooper drivetrain and brakes. The book shows the same speed sensor numbers for a Trooper and VX.
    8-97132-308-0 for left front, and 8-97132-307-0 for right front. There are three numbers for the same Rodeo speed sensor depending on the year. None of them close to the VX number.

_

The eBay parts shown are Raybestos. If ya go to the Raybestos web site, they have the Rodeo speed sensor listed, but show nothing for a VX or Trooper.

Mark
    Last edited by deermagnet : 01/07/2008 at 02:13 PM

In the ebay pics you linked, it appears that the sensor body is held to the bracket with a screw.

Perhaps after removing it you can swap them, or adapt it. If it were me, I'd take a gamble on it.

John C.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotsauce View Post
    In the ebay pics you linked, it appears that the sensor body is held to the bracket with a screw.

Perhaps after removing it you can swap them, or adapt it. If it were me, I'd take a gamble on it.

John C.
    That's a pretty good idea. I didn't notice the bracket being a separate piece at first. Hmm ...

I need to take a good look at one on a VX. Mine have been gone for a while, so I don't remember what they look like.

`99 Astral #1889 (sold) | `95 Trooper TeraLows-5.38s-35s | `98 Acura SLX
    As relates to these images...

Quote Originally Posted by deermagnet View Post
    _
    The 1998+ Rodeo/Passport is a totally different animal -- HOWEVER, the 1996-97 models had exactly the same front suspension as the earlier 'non-wide-fender' Trooper; thus, they are much more likely to be good parts donors…

It would certainly be worth checking into, that’s for sure!
    "This trail is so bumpy, it's knocking my bra straps off!" - Miss Kathy

I would get one or more of these sensors from a junk yard for a few bucks to check out the fit.

This is from our '99 repair manual. The sensor image above from myisuzuparts.com for a VX does not match the manual. It does match the Rodeo part, so ya need to look at parts in person to see what fits.

The manual states in bold red letters-
    Note: Confirm that a white line marked on the cable is not twisted when connecting the speed sensor cable.

That could pose a problem if ya try to rig up an alternate sensor and twist it to fit without the bracket. Just something to think about.

Mark Griffin
    Last edited by deermagnet : 01/08/2008 at 06:56 AM

Wow, that is a ton of data! Thanks!

Maybe I'll find a used sensor soon. I still haven't located any good salvage yards here in San Diego, but then again I haven't really tried yet.

The weather was nice today and I was checking my oil and whatnot, so I decided to get some photos of the front wheel speed sensors.

Driver side-

Driver side at the 90° bend-

Passenger side-

Passenger side at the 90° bend-

I could not even locate the top connector on the driver side with all the steering stuff in the way.
    Passenger side top connector-

I firmly believe that the image from the '99 repair manual is accurate and the image from myisuzuparts.com of the VX sensor is misleading or wrong. The '98 Rodeo sensor looks very similar, but the bracket at the very top by the connector seems to be a little different. That may not be a huge issue.

Mark Griffin