Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: honda insight

honda insight

anyone ever driven one? been looking into a fuel efficient sibling for the vx to help keep miles on the vx down... insights are definitely head turners like the vx.. although not nearly as cool looking imho.. they get gawked at for the wrong reasons.. but at 70+mpg its looking like a very good option

any thoughts?

If you're looking at used, realize that the batteries may need to be replaced and they aren't cheap.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Go to cardomain.com and search for them. Some owners have tricked them out to get more hp and if I remember correctly over 100mpg.

My friends family owns one and they are ok, for its main use (save gas)

I think the Insight has been discontinued for a few years and used may be your only option. It may have been replaced by this:
    http://automobiles.honda.com/fcx-cla...=fcx.honda.com
    don't hate

yea ive been looking used.. from what i have heard most of the batteries have a 150k mile warranty on them, ones i have been looking at have between 55-120k on them.. usual asking price is between 6-11k

From the blogs I've been reading, the Toyota Prius is light years ahead in Hybred Tech, Enough so that Honda has admited to going back to the drawing board, Honda's models cost more too.

Thumbs down

Ah, the gasoline hybrid. Makes ya feel good about being an even nastier polluter than using just gas alone. Does anyone even research this stuff anymore? Or is just because "they say it's good"?
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Driving an Insight, reminded me of driving one of those Cal tech creations, only.... the wires weren't dangling, and it all worked...sort of. It was a horrible car. An experiment, a toy, a distraction....ok. Something I'm driving every day....no way. You want looks? Resurrect an old "Citicar" They're still around. Some Optima's is all they need. Citicar is easily as crappy as an Insight, probably even MORE dangerous in traffic, and even weirderer looking. Smart will be near you soon. In the city, that micro is the way to go....unless you can hold out for the new Fiat 500. 11 grand is %75 of a Smart. I'd almost move to a city to drive one.:bwgr:

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Black View Post
    Ah, the gasoline hybrid. Makes ya feel good about being an even nastier polluter than using just gas alone. Does anyone even research this stuff anymore? Or is just because "they say it's good"?
    No one thinks of that little toxic waste disposal nightmare of a battery in the damn things. Guess we'll just load 'em up and shoot 'em at the sun when we're done with them. Anyone remember Porsche's "forever car" (lifetime car). Interchangeable systems and parts allowing for upgrades and replacements as needed, in a modular arrangement? You only ever buy one car, just turn it into what you wanted as you went along. Really need to start thinking more like this

my thought is that they are already made so i might as well use it.. selfish i know but my motives are not eco related.. im of the persuasion that there are enough ignorants out there that my efforts will make very little difference in the grand scheme of things.. so this purchase is strictly for money saving purposes(and keeping miles off the vx).......

ive been looking through their forum.. looks decent, these things get insane gas mileage.. but if the drive is as bad as chopper says i guess ill keep looking.. smart car was kind of an option.. this car would mostly be for highway trips.. my new lady friend lives about 100 miles away..my mom and sis live about 150 miles away.. vx mileage kills me on those drives!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Black View Post
    http://www.dailytech.com/Honda+CEO+S...ticle10147.htm

The comments after the article with attached links pretty much covers all these debates.
    Enough to convince me to stay away from all hybrids except the Prius.
    I did own a diesel rabbit, and I must say it's a great feeling to go 530mi+ between fueling.
    Both sides of this argument are valid, I like to keep an open mind to future Tech. An indie Japanese Prof. has developed an all electric 8 wheel drive (motors in the wheels) 370kmph+ car-----Think slot car fast ... the Eliica
    http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...eID=8754&vf=23

P.S. Why post if your opinion doesn't matter.
    IMHO, some posters seem to want the last word on EVERY topic.
    it must be great to know so much.
    Last edited by Bulldoggie : 01/15/2008 at 07:00 PM Reason: added link

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    my thought is that they are already made so i might as well use it.. selfish i know but my motives are not eco related.. im of the persuasion that there are enough ignorants out there that my efforts will make very little difference in the grand scheme of things.. so this purchase is strictly for money saving purposes(and keeping miles off the vx).......

ive been looking through their forum.. looks decent, these things get insane gas mileage.. but if the drive is as bad as chopper says i guess ill keep looking.. smart car was kind of an option.. this car would mostly be for highway trips.. my new lady friend lives about 100 miles away..my mom and sis live about 150 miles away.. vx mileage kills me on those drives!
    Pick up a used VW or Mercedes diesel. They're cheap and super-easy to work on, especially the Mercedes. A 300D Turbo rides nice, handles pretty decent and is incredibly well built plus will net you about 32MPG. Oh, they'll run on straight vegetable oil too! A couple I bought a 300SD from over in Largo was getting these big plastic cubes of soy oil from Costco for almost a buck less than what diesel was a gallon and ran the car on it for the several years they had it. Now the price gap is likely even wider, so it's nice to know you've got even more economical options.

Found this Top Gear review of the Prius - thought it was pretty funny:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmG05AtNVtM&NR=1
    Several references to diesels in there.

-- John

New I'd go for a Smart or a Yaris. I'm not a fan of the Fit/Jazz.

Used? VW TDis are inordinately expensive compared to over here so again I'd go along the lines of an Echo. There's a guy in CA imported an Echo HB from Canada a year or so ago and I know he's ordered a new Smart... His Echo is really frugal, a bit different and I could put you in touch if you like.

A