Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: VX casualty.... again

VX casualty.... again

Well, as if my Xmas vacation couldnt get any worse, today took the cake.

Took the VX in for a scheduled oil change this morning. Dropped the keys with the clerk and went back to settle into the lounge and watch tv until they gave me a hollar. Well, not too much later, I heard the hollar. It came in the form of a high revving engine, a crashing sound, someone screaming "Sh*t!!" and another screaming "Oh f!@#!!".

I thought to myself, nah, that has nothing to do with my VX. How wrong I was. The shop manager came back and said they had a problem with my VX and to follow him into the shop. There, I found my VX pancaking 2 large toolchests up against a concrete wall. The guy who pulled it in tried to tell me something went wrong with my brakes. Funny, after 45k miles, I have never had a brake issue, yet he finds one moving it 50ft from a parking space to the bay? Sorry, that excuse has been used too many times to be worthy.

The damages could have been worse, were it not for the brushguard that Tone offers. However, since its simply a show-bar, it managed to crunch in and mangle the L/R fender as well as the hood. All 3 will definitely need to be "replaced", but that will be a different story once the shop's insurance burns the witch at the stake. It is drivable, but damned ugly with a bungie cord holding the hood shut. The brushguard is toast since it was bent to hell and a spot weld mount broke.

The shop manager "seemed" completely willing to cooperate and made the insurance claim already. He just needs me to get 2 estimates to give to him so he can present them to their insurance. I am a 2 year customer of theirs so hopefully, they respect that and dont try to pull some shady !@#$.

In the end, its just a hunk of metal and nobody was hurt, but it still bothers me that the tech had to try to weasel out of it with "the breaks didnt work" when there was clearly a 4ft skidmark on the bay floor leading up to the toolboxes. Dude, just say you screwed up. Accidents happen and thats understood. Your lying on top of about $3-5K of damages, vehicle and tools/toolboxes, only adds to the disgust.

Thanks prick.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Man, that sucks Gary. Sorry to see the status quo hasn't changed much around places of that ilk.
    Why is it that about 98% of the automotive/automotive service industry attracts such a turd brained level of employment drones?
    Good luck with the fix, hope the moron at least hit his own tool box.

I'd be looking for legal counsel...right after I made bail. I'm really sorry W.G.

Quote Originally Posted by WormGod View Post
    It came in the form of a high revving engine, a crashing sound, someone screaming "Sh*t!!" and another screaming "Oh f!@#!!".

Yeah, the skinny pedal is NOT the brake pedal!
    Sounds like they owe you free oil changes for life along with the repair bill. Hope they make it right. Good luck.

Note to self...continue to change my own oil!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

If the breakes did not work, how did you get their? What BS.
    They should just admit that they damaged your VX and have it fixed and give you lifetime service for free.

If you can't trust them to simply drive it into the work bay properly how can you trust them to do something really complicated like doing an oil change??

Let's see...

"Hey Buck...does transmission fluid go in the radiator thing or in the hole that says OIL"?

"Neither stupid, it goes in the windshield washer squirt bottle thing."

"Oh...I already filled that up with antifreeze!"

"Nah...the antifreeze goes in the hole that says OIL."

"What'll I do with all this oil?"

"Put it in the radiator, stupid!"

I know nothing you read here will make up for that...
    but still, I'll add my "that blows".

I can't imagine...
    - you have to know what it is to know what it is -

Sounds like your supercharger took the tech by surprise and he froze at the controls. Hopefully the claim and repairs will be trouble free.

No friggin MAACO crap either! They pay for new panels, blend time on adjacent panels, and your car rental fees! DO NOT SETTLE FOR LESS! This is what I do for a living (as I'm sure you're aware) These three things you should not compromise on. They are gonna fight you on the blend time, don't relent. I wouldn't accept repaired panels either. They weren't made of plastic when you rolled in. They OWE you a rental car for as long as it takes. Stay strong...don't hesitate to have an attorney draw up a letter stating these things( and your serious intent) Good luck brother. Chop

I drove someone elses VX, and had a similar unexpected acceleration. I didn't hit anything, only scared myself.

The cause? Aftermarket pedal covers.

John C.

Oh, and become familair with the term: "Diminshed Value"

A crashed and repaired vehicle is not worth as much as one that was never hit.

Start a folder, and write a note every time you call them. Time, who you spoke to, and summary of what whas said.

John C.

ugh sorry man.. definately sucks.. my guess is hitting the gas and the brake at the same time.. i used to have that problem in my boots, then i removed the pedal cover and put a new one on as far from the go pedal as possible so that helps.. and new pads and lines make it so my brake pedal rarely gets down far enough to be even with the gas...

Quote Originally Posted by Hotsauce View Post
    I drove someone elses VX, and had a similar unexpected acceleration. I didn't hit anything, only scared myself.

The cause? Aftermarket pedal covers.

John C.

That's a good point. My VX had some aftermarket pedals on it when I got it, and all they seemed to do was get in the way of my shoes. Taking those things off in the name of safety was one of the first "mods" I made.

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    ugh sorry man.. definately sucks.. my guess is hitting the gas and the brake at the same time.. i used to have that problem in my boots, then i removed the pedal cover and put a new one on as far from the go pedal as possible so that helps.. and new pads and lines make it so my brake pedal rarely gets down far enough to be even with the gas...

Aftermarket pedals surely are part of the issue. I even brought it up while we were looking over the damage. I had said to the guy that being a shop, his work boots were probably too bulky for the coverage down there, as I stopped wearing mine when driving because it so so tight. He still had a chip on his shoulder and denied it. Stuck by his word that the brakes simply did not work for him.

*enter my disrespect for liars HERE*

However, I worked in many shops over the years and we see all makes, models, and years go in and out of there everyday, so they have to always be prepared for different owner ride and comfort packages. If there is ever an issue or concern with any MOD that anyone has done to their vehicle, the operating tech or porter needs to declare this to management BEFORE the vehicle is even touched. Its simply a matter of covering your butt and making your insurance happy.

And yep, second time she will be getting bodywork. Luckily none of it ever involved frame damage and ALL parts were replaced with new. This damage is far lighter than the previous, so I am keeping fingers crossed on coverage for new panels. If not, she stays in the garage until I wrangle up the difference between bondo-bucket and fresh panels, heh. Her track record will house 2 eye sores on her record, but thats something I can live with, and it helps to be a "retired" bodyshop tech because I know what to look for when the work is done and I dont accept it unless its done 110%.

I hope they can find right and left fenders for you. When I replaced my driver's side front, Merlin told me there were only 7 remaining in the country, and that was 1.5 years ago.

Good luck,
    Brian

'01 Proton 1416