Thread: Palm Coast gets red light cameras

Palm Coast gets red light cameras

I don't know how I feel about this one....in general. The red light cameras do not bother me, in fact I like them. Red light running is bad in these parts. You better count three, look both ways, then go when the light goes green. I want these people stopped. The speed cameras are another matter. The "test" cameras on 95, had their lenses painted black, within a few days A bit later, a more permanent solution was found...seems they have a small hole on the top, (ventilation?) and if one were to take a 2 dollar tube of expandable construction foam, and spray it in the hole....well, the game is over The offending cameras were removed Not that I'd ever condone such behaviour At any rate, our little town is going twentyfirst century. The black Suburbans, and Charger first, then a chopper...now this. The struggle for personal freedom continues

I'd be a big fan of transponder-based traffic enforcement which would automate the task and free up law enforcement to do more important things. You'd have to include some sort of "fuzzy logic" to keep it fair and also would have to centralize control to minimize revenue-gathering at the local level. Always a good topic for heated group debate! :gring:

In Albuquerque they take 30-30's to traffic cams: http://www.koat.com/news/14732597/detail.html

While over in the UK "disabling" them seems to be more of a national sport: http://www.speedcam.co.uk/gatso2.htm
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

I really don't see the point. We live in an imperfect world, we will never have 100% accident free roads, just as we don't have 100% accident-free anything. I don't perceive that the current rate of car accidents as justifying huge expenditures on systems with dubious track records for reducing accidents.

On the other hand, more people are killed by bee stings each year world-wide than are killed in terrorist attacks, yet a huge proportion of the population seems to think that spending hundreds of billions each year on "anti-terrorism" is a worthwhile use of resources.

It's the revenue not ernforcement. I have been in 2 accidents since moving to Houston and both times I waited over 3 hours for the cops (since the accidents werent my fault) and they never showed up. I think they were too busy writing tickets on the freeway since even though the HPD is undermanned ticket revenue is more every year. Basically their fat behinds are at the donut shop.

Quote Originally Posted by WyrreJ View Post
    I really don't see the point. We live in an imperfect world, we will never have 100% accident free roads, just as we don't have 100% accident-free anything. I don't perceive that the current rate of car accidents as justifying huge expenditures on systems with dubious track records for reducing accidents.

On the other hand, more people are killed by bee stings each year world-wide than are killed in terrorist attacks, yet a huge proportion of the population seems to think that spending hundreds of billions each year on "anti-terrorism" is a worthwhile use of resources.
    You wanna spend billions on bee eradication? Man, we've a real bee crisis now as it is. Unless something changes, fast, that statistic is gonna change.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    You wanna spend billions on bee eradication? Man, we've a real bee crisis now as it is. Unless something changes, fast, that statistic is gonna change.
    We'd sure get a better return for our (devalued) dollar if we spent all that money on "the war on bees."

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    You wanna spend billions on bee eradication? Man, we've a real bee crisis now as it is.
    Oh sure, & after all the bees are gone, I suppose we'll get a govt. program to hire illegal aleins to pollinate all the plants...

Wait till you all get Speed Cameras. We have them all over the MD/DC area.

Stationary, unmanned radar.... the end of spirited driving.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Stationary, unmanned, targets is more like it. That crap doesn't fly very long in most places

Stationary, unmanned, targets is more like it. That crap doesn't fly very long in most places
    Heh, ya, we have had "minor" issues with some cams being "played with". spraypainted over, taped over, even stolen, heh. But, it wont ever stop this over-righteous county from trying to make an easy buck off of the average, everyday driver.