Thread: 12 bolt lockers are now available

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Cool 12 bolt lockers are now available

Just saw a post over on the wire that I thought some of you may find interesting...
    The long awaited "Aussie Lockers" for the Isuzu corp. 12 bolt are now available from www.independent4x.com should start shipping around the 20th to those that have been on the waiting list.

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    Somebody besides me should tell them Indy's link goes to the wrong page.

So Dub, did you go for the preorder? $375 versus the $1000 ARB - I am not a fan of the lunchbox but what a price difference... hmm, my Christmas bonus is going fast and I haven't even got it yet! Decisions decisions...
    I thought your Xmas bonus was for a PS3!

Bart

Thumbs up

So Dub, did you go for the preorder? $375 versus the $1000 ARB - I am not a fan of the lunchbox but what a price difference... hmm, my Christmas bonus is going fast and I haven't even got it yet! Decisions decisions...
    Done & done...just got off the phone, should be shipping by the end of next week barring any un4seens. I'm thinking a lunchbox in the rear, with an air locker in front (someday in the future) will get me up & over most anything I'm nuts enough to try. However, it could get a little squirrly in icy conditions...hope to have it in before May.
    Also, I see they now have adjustable MONSTER lower links that look mighty tasty.

Please, no more ideas! Green Dragon convinced me to stay away from a front locker - he said he never broke a front axle until he used the locker, then he broke a few times. With a front locker, my gears, and my tires, I am sure to break... No thank you! I like to use my trips to wheel, not to wrench!
    My thoughts on that are...using Superwinch or Warn (anything other than Aisin...they're too strong) manual front hubs as "fuses" & carrying a spare or two. Yal has posted on this in the past & it makes sense...create a cheaper weak link to save more expen$ive/harder to replace parts.
    As you can see "please, no more ideas" doesn't work with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    My thoughts on that are...using Superwinch or Warn (anything other than Aisin...they're too strong) manual front hubs as "fuses" & carrying a spare or two. Yal has posted on this in the past & it makes sense...create a cheaper weak link to save more expen$ive/harder to replace parts.

No, no, no...you got it all wrong! Just got to build bigger and stronger! Just scrap the 10 bolt! I can't wait until by 10 bolt junk is up for sale on here!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    No, no, no...you got it all wrong! Just got to build bigger and stronger! Just scrap the 10 bolt! I can't wait until by 10 bolt junk is up for sale on here!
    While I'm sure it's fun to talk about, (going on two+ yrs. now?) I'll believe it when I see it...in the mean time, I'll be turning REAL wrenches & doing mods that ACTUALLY exist. --
    Last edited by Ldub : 12/15/2007 at 06:54 AM

While I'm sure it's fun to talk about, (going on two+ yrs. now?) I'll believe it when I see it...in the mean time, I'll be turning REAL wrenches & doing mods that ACTUALLY exist. --

I've always said it is a LONG term project....but it WILL happen. I've started gathering info and have been watching the for sale stuff on various sites! The VX will be paid off within a year which will free up some fundage...I will be retiring in 18 months which will free up the time!

Hmm... well... I understand the theory, but struggle with the logic... that is only because you will need the locker in the most extreme situations that will create the most tension. Tension = POP! I know you'll experiment with it, so have fun and keep us posted.
    I grenaded a Warn hub on a locked rear full floater kit by giving a little too much gas on pavement. So you are correct, hubs CAN be a fuse! However, the only Super hub we did break, didn't totally let go. It messed up the innards and it had to be replaced, but the hub still held up... front axles though, we have broken 4 times - always when the locker was engaged. Using lockers can increase the rate of fatigue on axle joints, and over time they can weaken and break, even if there is a fuse in place.

As a heads up, I am not sure about Superwinch hubs for Isuzu's, but on our CJ-7, the Super hubs do some strange things when the locker is engaged. The wheel with the most traction is hard to rotate, so what happens is the axle wants to turn and it will turn the hub... but the flange of the hub can put enough force on the mounting bolts to either slowly back them out and/or shear them at the rotor. So may I suggest stepping up to Grade 8 hardware and using loc-tite or some sort of mechanical lock beyond lock washers?
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Hmm... well... I understand the theory, but struggle with the logic... that is only because you will need the locker in the most extreme situations that will create the most tension. Tension = POP! I know you'll experiment with it, so have fun and keep us posted.
    I grenaded a Warn hub on a locked rear full floater kit by giving a little too much gas on pavement. So you are correct, hubs CAN be a fuse! However, the only Super hub we did break, didn't totally let go. It messed up the innards and it had to be replaced, but the hub still held up... front axles though, we have broken 4 times - always when the locker was engaged. Using lockers can increase the rate of fatigue on axle joints, and over time they can weaken and break, even if there is a fuse in place.

As a heads up, I am not sure about Superwinch hubs for Isuzu's, but on our CJ-7, the Super hubs do some strange things when the locker is engaged. The wheel with the most traction is hard to rotate, so what happens is the axle wants to turn and it will turn the hub... but the flange of the hub can put enough force on the mounting bolts to either slowly back them out and/or shear them at the rotor. So may I suggest stepping up to Grade 8 hardware and using loc-tite or some sort of mechanical lock beyond lock washers?
    Yeah, it's ALL theory at this point in time...a front locker of any type i$ $till a long way off. The grade 8 point is well taken, also, for anything that wants to come loose when it's not supposed to, I'm a big fan of safety wire.
    I'll have to see how she does with the rear lunchbox & decide on which direction to go from there.
    On another topic, I'm really developing a meaningful lust for those adjustable monster lower links...anyone interested in buying a lightly used set of HD lower links? Been installed about a year, painted red...just throwin it out there.