Thread: Front Bumper Work...boo hoo

Question Front Bumper Work...boo hoo

So, I had the front bumper cover (cladding) replaced on my VX because of an accident, it was done at an Isuzu dealer collision shop here in PA. The new cover they ordered, which was surprising readily available, came in but did not have that foam blocking thing that is attached to the inside lower middle section. Not to mention the shop removed and neglected to replace the foam padding that sits to the left and right bottom of the radiator behind the cover. Those two flappy foam things that run vertical on the ends of the radiator supports were still there.

Question is, what would you think those (now missing) pieces are supposed to do and are they completely necessary? I would imagine they serve as some very light impact resistance in the event a front collision occurs to prevent bumper debris or intrusion, etc. Other than that they just catch leaves and bugs. Should they be there or really not?

What kinda sucks is the new front bumper cover has some slight differences than my stock busted one; torx screw areas have some raised lines around them, the lower headlight areas sit differently and leave some gaps where the headlight gasket thing sits. I guess Isuzu clearly has another vendor that now manufactures parts from their original production when the vehicle was built. The front impact bar was replaced too, it was bent in half on the driver's side from the impact. Overall though, the VX is really a solid ride. The other guy's car had some serious front end damage that was double the cost of mine. It was a 2002 Honda Accord.

Any thoughts from the community at large would be greatly appreciated!

The foam parts around the rad are simply for rattle suppression, if you develop a rattle up front, you know where to look. The front support foam is just that it keeps the plastic from deforming in the heat or from small bumps. I'd insist on that bumper foam being replaced.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    If you get no satisfaction from the repair shop, I just happened upon a pic in djkymar's gallery that shows some of the foam peices you may be looking for.
    It's a long shot, but might be worth a pm.

Thanks for the tips and replies Chopper and Ldub....

No one that I've dug deep enough to talk to at Isuzu dealers or parts departments can find a way to get a replacement for the larger foam seal that WAS attached to the inside middle of my damaged VX bumper cover. The repair shop, which is an Isuzu dealer, had gotten a new bumper cover but it did not have the foam seal and they don't know anything about it now.

The two other foam seals near the front impact bar and radiator I think I found part numbers for (8972160750) and perhaps can be ordered.

Thing is, neither of these foam seal thingys were damaged in the accident but they were removed by the shop and trashed. Not sure why, I mean, if they were there to begin with when the car was built...then they served some purpose and should not have been removed...DUH. Might be my loss, I don't know yet. But the new bumper cover's appearance certainly does not seem as "high quality" as the original, it's weird but looking at it that's what I think. Lesson is...keep what you got!?

This SUCKS. Why do you have to do the work that the dealer should be doing in the first place. You are paying for them to do the work right from the start. You expect them to replace as original. I find this all the time in my work. Nothing is ever replaced as the original.