Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Independent4x

Independent4x

I need to order mechatech CV boots. Independent4x.com is not working does anyone know where else I can get them, or is the site just not working for me?

Edit: Nevermind Sorry..... Patience is a virtue

Now their credit card deal dont work. ARGH!!!!

Now I am just talking to myself... I am ready for the day to end. It worked on my wifes computer....

I give up.

blah

Telephones are wonderful things: Independent4X = 804-550-0480
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Black View Post
    Telephones are wonderful things: Independent4X = 804-550-0480
    Well, thanks for the sarcasm. That was the plan for today, but then the wife said let me try on my computer and it worked. I didnt think that it would work since the first time I tried to order them I got the same error message. Must be something wrong with my computer.

Boots are on the way....

Ascinder do you have a clamp tool?

lol dont get too upset man.. just watch this.. always make me feel better no matter whats going on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go

CrnCnn,

I have the tool to hold the strap tight. Is that what you're looking for?

I don't have anything to crimp the bands though. I tried to use a screw driver & it worked but not very well.

PM me if you need me to send you the tightener (taking Eric's tool sharing concept to new levels).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    CrnCnn,

I have the tool to hold the strap tight. Is that what you're looking for?

I don't have anything to crimp the bands though. I tried to use a screw driver & it worked but not very well.

PM me if you need me to send you the tightener (taking Eric's tool sharing concept to new levels).
    I am not sure either I guess. I thought I had to get a crimping tool. I will let you know, Thank you.

The tightener is the only odd tool you need to install the bands. But use a screwdriver to bend the tabs over, then hammer them down tight. When you cut off the excess band metal, leave enough to fold over the tabs and hammer that down on top. The band itself will then be in a Z shape with the tabs kinda sandwiched. That keeps everything nice and neat and tight.
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

That's what I did but I lost some of the tension in the process (didn't look very professional either). It did work though.

I didn't actually end up using the bands they came with. I went out and got a couple sets that work a little differently, so I never ended up getting the tool. I think the kind I got have a point on them that sticks up higher than the ones that came with the mecatechs, and have been secretly wondering if it was somewhat to blame for the boots tearing prematurely. I also used redline super spendy hyper fantastic synthetic grease instead of what they came with and have also been secretly wondering if it could have at all weakened the boots up some causing my CV woes as well. I guess sometimes it's a curse really, my inherent compulsion to always try and tamper with things that is.....
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

I thought about using some industrial grade zip ties instead of the metal straps but changed my mind for that very reason (it's called 'over engineering'). In hind sight, I think they would have worked better.

I did have those HD zipties on the stock boots before I changed them out. They installed tightly enough and lasted, but it seemed like the clip thing would get too close to the boot and the clipped plastic part of the band would maybe rub a hole in the boot in time. Not sure though.

What we really need are some industrial rubber bands like giant versions of the ones that come on broccoli in the supermarket. If the boot is rubber and it holds up to the elements then why not. Also makes lubing/cleaning easy.

I can just picture me doing a boot swap & getting the whole thing back together before realizing I forgot to put the rubberbands around the axle first. What a kick in the arse that would be.