Thread: Jacking a lifted VX

Jacking a lifted VX

I have a lifted VX with 33" tires and am in the process of moving to a roof rack mounted full size spare. Obviously the stock jack will no longer suffice, so I'm looking into a portable solution for tire changing or getting out of a jam on the trails. Are there jacking points on the VX that could be used with a hi-lift jack? If so, where are they?

Stock bottle jack will lift a 33 off the ground. Mine does, and I used to carry a 2x4x8" piece of wood incase I needed to lift off the frame.

If you utilize the axle tube and control arms to lift from, you wont have an issue with clearance.

I now have a hi-lift that I jack from the boulder bar/rock sliders, get a whole side at once. Or from the front ARB bumper. Nothing in back yey to hi-lift from as I suspect is the case of the VX. without some frame mounted steel you are SOL for a hi-lift.
    Take care,
    Keith
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

jack

after lifting mine, I bought a 12 ton 18 1/2" high capability hydraulic jack. Stock one was too narrow of an escape on flat, hard, ground. In instances of offroading, it would be useless.

fyi- my 12 ton jack works great to get lizards out from under 1 ton boulders too ;Dp;

Since your lifted & mounting a full sized spare & planning on doing the trails I suggest you look into getting some Boulder bars fabricated at least 3 point welded to the frame. This will allow the use of the Hi Lift jack for all circumstances. In the meantime a scissors jack with good height may be the way to go. Saw quite a few of these in use at Moab but on the real tough stuff a Hi Lift is your best friend.
    Neither ordinary or extraordinary, just indefatigable.

2000 VX Green Dragon- Chick Demagnitizer-Supercharger-Injen Intake- Cold air box-K&N- Power Vault SS Exhaust-265-75-16 BFG MT kms-On Board CO2- Custom Boulder Bars- Custom Skid plates- PIAA 520 Fog Lites-3inch lift with OME 912 Springs-LINE X Bedliner on Cladding & Hood Insert-ARB Front Lockers & Custom Bull Bar. Vintage Offenhauser Hood scoop Thule Rack. XM Radio-Custom Storage Box-First VX to surmount the RUBICON.Thanks Sierra Stompers

Hi-lifts by themselves don't seem to do a whole lot of good on a Vx. You can get some heavy steel (2x2 x length x 1/4 or better wall thickness) to put in your trailer hitch to extend it far enough out that a Hi-lift can be used. or if your slider bars stick out wide enough you can use them.
    Like Loco said,, If you're just changing a tire, your stock jack can change a 33" no prob.
    Its the thrill of the chase

Wow, thanks for all the responses. I will consider looking into some boulder bars when finances permit, but one question - It seems to me that jacking up one side onto two wheels would be a bit unstable (or at least LESS stable than jacking onto three). Has this been an issue for anybody? Is it possible to hi-lift jack onto three wheels using the boulder bars?