Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Baja 1000

2008 Baja 1000

I started a thread about this before the forum went down and cant find it so I guess ill start another. So far ive landed 2 sponsors and 2 more possible, one being the PVA and another being Hanger prostetics. Im working on what I need to get ready for the haul. My co driver is Cam Worth, gt champ and daytona 24 winner in class RX-7. I just put new rubber all around and I have 4 spares since my old tires wernt in anyway needing replacment, nitto 285s are the tire of my choice, anyone have 4 stock 18 inch rims. The class I think im in is with the jeeps, correct me if im wrong. Any recommendations on suspension, I already plan atleast a 3 inch lift and im in the market for fully adjustible suspension thats controled from within the truck. Im going to machine all the ruber spacers out of delron myself. Custome bumpers are planned also. I also need to figure out how to shield the AC vents from the soot since Cams over 50 and im alittle on the crippled side so confort wont be spared. Im taking an air compressor to blow soot out of the radiator and airfilter if needed. Is a roll cage a must or just a safty thing? Lets here it guys and gals.

Moonraker,

a guy I work with goes to the Bajas and invited me to the one earlier this year. I couldn't make it but would like to get to this one.
    It would be cool to meet up and check out your rig once it's finished.
    Keep me updated on your progress.

As for the rims...
    not sure if you're asking for a set for sale or what, but I have one.
    Check the Tires/Wheels threads, it should be the most recent.
    I'm in San Diego, btw.

Good Luck

you might check with mike at lokey trucks. he has run the baja a few times. www.lokeytrucks.com
    My cow died last night ......so I don't need your bull!

I want to get the impute here were there are more enthusiasts and more spacific involvment.

I am sure if you go to the website for the 1000 you should be able to fond a listing of all the classes and the vehicle specifications for each. They are pretty specific about what can be altered on the vehicle and what safety equipment is needed (mandatory). Adjustable suspentions may put you in another class all together. Might want to check before you start sinking your $ into stuff that is not allowed/needed for the class you plan on running.
    Might want to start HERE
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

This is no longer a "run what you brung" type of deal,,,,you better check into the specs, and not post questions about it here. No one here races their VX. Baja is no joke. Good luck

Sofare its stock, im looking into what mods move the truck up in class so I can avoid that. I now BAJAs no joke, im looking for what people think I should do for reliability issues. Im doing a complete suspension recondition and go through and need to now wether to lift or not, I mailed tech for answers, Ill post what I find. Im also thinking of routing the airfilter inside the truck and putting a filter on the AC intake on the outer part since I plan on running it throughout the daytime till the temps drop at night. Should I look into a bigger radiator, Since my rebuild im running 20 or so degrees cooler temps.

I tracked another thread down that had me curios and posted this alredy about the TOD disable in another thread but I find it relivent to desert conditions. I discconected mine and taken it out on the drift pad at Morrosso, its fun but easy to spin on the street and low traction, kinda feels like ice on the drift pad(wet tar covered asfault). Im putting a switch on the shifter (easy acsess on the fly) and going to try it in the sugersand to see what happens. Im lookind to slide the back out in 2wd then kick the TOD back on comming out of the turns, if I loose the float and re-engaging it when I need help getting back ontop of the sand and when starting. I do it with the E brake and have entered turns as fast as 60 in the sand but have problems with holding my speed ( E brake) Im pretty sure it will do well in RWD once you have your momentum sustained. I dont like the way it trys to pull you around above 35 or 40 MPH, specialy in sand rutts. In the snow or somthing with less traction id run with the TOD on always. Ow, did you now your VX tops out at 75 in the sand, im very impressed by that. Ive logged over 3000 miles on my truck off road in the refuge I live next to so Im pretty good in the sand.

I just reread my post from last nite, and realized it sounded rather dismissive...and I should apologize. What I was getting at is this...Baja is a monster! Sure, if you want the experience of driving down the course, there are basically stock beetle bugs that putt-putt through the entire 1000 miles, with some careful driving...and a bit of luck, a VX could complete the run. To take a street vehicle and prepare it to RACE Baja, requires a re-engineering of the ENTIRE vehicle. Realize also, that by mile 500, your vehicle is a total loss (for all practical purposes) and will require a total rebuild. WRXs and EVOs are "rally inspired" vehicles not WRC cars(as all the little rich kids around here, seem to quickly and expensively learn) The VX is a street vehicle, with pretty good soft road abilities...not an endurance racer. Baja eats purpose built vehicles. I don't want to piss on your dream, just don't want you to think a shock swap and driving in sugar sand in any way, prepares you for the relentless beating that is Baja. (yeah, we go almost every year)

The VX is tough enough for BAJA, im pretty sure of it. Just the way its gona get done is were to start with the planning. I was watching the 7000 series the other night and thats not the class im looking to try ( unless I ever have the funds) 130 flatout isnt a speed im trying to hold, 45 to 55 MPH is a safer bet for a VX. Hard driving in sugersand tends to be a very good test on a trucks drivetrain and engine. Ive riden my old 660 raptor in Nevada deserts, Glamis in Cali, and the mountains of PA and CO so I have a pretty good gist on all terrain. Ive run the VX flat out in the mud and sugersand in FL, and in the PA and MD woods. I now alot of people run Jeeps and hummers and I put the VX way up infront of those rides. Hell im a official jeep, hummer H3 and H2 recovery vehical, LOL. I now its going to take alot of preperation though. Im driving to Cali this year so ill get more of an idea what to expect. Im already 10 people deep in a crew so finalizing what the sponsors need to dish out will be decided after my trip. Ive also donated my new Rapyor 700 to my good friend Nick Folly for baja whose a one legged wounder and the best guy ive ever seen tame any Quad. My plan is to do a total tear down of the drivetrain and atleast reseal everything 5000 miles prior the 1000 to catch any gremlins beforehand, check the tranny, TOD system, transfer case, rear rite after I drive it back from Cali.
    Main things that im worried about is bolders, silt, and the bolders hidding in the silt beds. Other then that its all common sense, dont overdrive the truck, Keep your average RPMs under 4,000, dont stick your head out the window before you clock a cactus and ill finish. Ive just broken in my new motor and im totaly content on how strong it is. Ow, not to argue a point but what comes from the factory with piggyback KYBs and 4 low for light offroading? Just look at the size of your front A arms and traling arms dont even come stock on Jeeps or hummers H2s or H3s. Ive gone through all my beating on my first alignment at 62,000 miles. Ok, to show im not full of **** ill show you a few of my accomplishments throughtout my last 3 years. I helped build this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2ung98buGc

and I developed this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foUYemyjpzM

Wich we installed in a parking lot in less then 4 hours. It was to prove it could be done when all others said it couldnt be done in a day.

You are going to put a VXehiCROSS.INFO sticker on it ??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...

If somone or somthing can help me out ill put a sticker on my VX.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.

Do ya want ground crew...chase/support vehicles?

San Diego based...ready to get involved.

Multiple people/vehicles ready to help.

Not experts,but keen.

Let me know.

jo

And we will of course we'll be expecting a video!

Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post
    San Diego based...ready to get involved.

Multiple people/vehicles ready to help.

Not experts,but keen.

Let me know.

jo
    Hell yeh, thats the main thing, help if somthing goes wrong, that way its never needed, kinda like taking your spare tire out a day before you have a flat.