Thread: Looking for VX Mechanic

Looking for VX Mechanic

Anybody out there know a trustworthy mechanic in the Southern California area??? I live in the Santa Clarita.

I have 154,000 miles on this magnificent engineering marvel. My only problems have been with the CD changer(replaced) and a cracked radiator(replaced). Now I appear to have a problem with the TOD. Having never really had any problems with this car I have not developed any relationship with any mechanics or repairs shops...

Any recommendations??

Thanks!!

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    154k, thats awesome!! What is your TOD doing, this board is a great resource for troubleshooting!
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car

Thumbs up

I am a broken record when it comes to my Isuzu mechanic. He has taken care of my VX since I bought her new in 2000 and has cared for a least a dozen other VX owners who are members of this site. He is a good man but he is at a dealership, and he is a stretch from where you live.

Sierra Isuzu
    1450 South Shamrock Ave
    Monrovia, CA 91016

Service: (626) 932-5675 If you call, ask for either service rep. Joann or Ken. Tell them I sent you. If you make an appointment, ask for a day that the mechanic, Mike is there. Mike is always happy to talk to VX owners and he really knows VX's.
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

I''l back Anita up on that one: I took mine there for the 60K checkup. It was a little expensive and its outta the way, but the security of a knowledgable mechanic was worth it.

Anita pointed me towards Sierra Isuzu for an inspection and I was very pleased with the experience there.
    Mike knows the vehicle well and even took 20 minutes or so to talk to me about it and I will probably continue to go there in the future for any issues I will NEVER have!

You should ask around here too for your TOD issues first, you might just be able to save yourself a drive.

Hey thanks to you all sounds like this guy "Mike" in Monrovia is my man, I will call him...

As for a description of my problem please see the thread I posted on this site just below this one that says, "Problem with the TOD"...since I don't, "burn the bearings up" typing this will save a lot of time...

I'll give this guy a call ....Thanks Anita...I'll tell him you sent me...

BTW its 154,000+ miles on the "original" brake PADS and rotors!! This is soo unfricken believable to me.... but I swear to all its true...

Even this problem seem to me to be minor...been driving it this way for a couple of weeks now...

Thanks again

John

Hello, I'm new to the boards-
    I just scheduled an apt with Mike to look at my 99 VX...
    I'm up to about 100K miles and the power steering is leaking pretty badly... Among other things my VX is pretty beat up, having made numerous trips to death valley and the mojave from LA. I figure its time to drop some money on a real mechanic and get my beloved VX checked out. Besides the Power Steering the ABS light has been on for some time...
    Thanks Anita for the tip on Mike- I look forward to meeting him tomorrow.
    Best,
    Jonathan

Mike is the Man.

Just know beforehand that Mike will NEVER recommend anything aftermarket. And yes, you can bring Isuzu parts you get from other sources (like Merlin) and he'll install them. You may want to get prices from Merlin and have the dealership sell them to you at the same price. Worth trying...

Thanks Anita!
    Is the Merlin you are talking about the Merlin of St Charles Isuzu that I find on a google search? Any other suggestions on getting a better price? I am broke at the moment and am fixing my VX at bad time- That said I want the reliable service that a good hearty recommendation brings. Just got an email from a good friend to do 6 peaks in 6 weeks (that is hiking 6 peaks in the next 6 weeks). Would love to take my VX into the wilderness and not worry about a breakdown.

Yes, Merlin is our famous source from St. Charles Isuzu. Mention the VX.info site and he gives a discount. Shipping is free.

My dealership had quoted me a price on some parts in the past and when I told them I could get it for a cheaper price from Merlin, the parts dept. met the price.

Hope all goes well tomorrow. Mike is very thorough if you ask him to take a look at everything. He has never steered me wrong or b.s.'d me.