Thread: supercharger----what you think??

supercharger----what you think??

ok. this:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-118872882.htm

is off a holden commodore (australia) V6 motor. holden own isuzu....... share some common models etc... could this supercharger go onto a vx motor?

The manifold doesn't look right to me - the alpine kit is configured with the TB higher so there's room for the fuel rails - I'm not sure but it doesn't look like it would work. Not to mention you'll still need some type of bracketing for the belt (to tension) and an extension for the engine pulley. Doesn't appear to have all the bits you usually see in a kit.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

I agree with John, intake manifold looks wrong, doesn't appear to have any fuel rails, crank pulley, brackets specific to the 3.2/3.5, intake bits to connect to the air box, throttle/cruise control cables & brackets, etc., etc., .....you could ask for better pics, but in the long run, you would probably spend more gathering/making the misc. missing pieces than you would buying new.

And you would still have a used S/C.
    Last edited by Ldub : 09/25/2007 at 02:02 PM

FYI: You can go on ebay and get a rebuilt eaton m62(the one used in the Alpine kit) supercharger with a upgrades and a decent warranty for less than half the cost of that one. You also still need to get the bracketing, pulleys, intake manifold/injector portion, etc in order to make it all work. Unless you are a handy guy and have time to tinker on your hands and don't mind your VX being down for awhile to install and test, I'd stick with the alpine kit. If you do have all that stuff, then good luck and don't forget to do a writeup for the rest of us poor schmucks who cant afford the kit .
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder
    FYI: You can go on ebay and get a rebuilt eaton m62(the one used in the Alpine kit) supercharger with a upgrades and a decent warranty for less than half the cost of that one. You also still need to get the bracketing, pulleys, intake manifold/injector portion, etc in order to make it all work. Unless you are a handy guy and have time to tinker on your hands and don't mind your VX being down for awhile to install and test, I'd stick with the alpine kit. If you do have all that stuff, then good luck and don't forget to do a writeup for the rest of us poor schmucks who cant afford the kit .
    the price is in NZ $.... half the price would be about .... $300 us....

That is correct. They sell over here on ebay for around $300 US all the time. The only problem is the fitting, which in the alpine kit is done for you. I was seriously thinking about one of them, but I have had the hardest time trying to find an old intake manifold to chop up and modify to mount it on. My VX is a daily driver, so taking my intake on and off repeatedly while I hack on it really isn't an option at this point. Also if you are interested in going the eaton m62 route, I suggest looking into the newer, rarer mp62 which looks like it would mount up a little easier. It costs slightly more since you probably aren't going to find a rebuilt, but they are supposedly better. I think there was a writeup on here on installing the Alpine kit which, if you were going to do a DIY job would be a good resource to start with since it has tons of pictures and you can see where it could get potentially dicey. Good luck!!