Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Parking Brake Light

Parking Brake Light

Hey everyone,

The other day my parking brake light was on in the dash. I thought maybe I had it pulled a little and didn't realize it. So I pressed the button on the lever and made sure it was depressed all the way, and the light went out. Weird.

This morning I pulled out of the garage, no parking brake applied, and then after a minute the parking brake light came on. I could tell the brake was not pulled a little, because my VX was not dragging. But I checked the lever nonetheless. It was all the way down. But, then after about 5 minutes of driving, the light went out....

Anyone ever experience this? I was under my center console recently, and now I am wondering if there is a bad connection or short under there or something...

Thanks - Bart

check the level of your brake fluid? if its a little low and sloshing around in the reservoir that could trigger the light

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Hmmm, never thought of that. I will check it.

Thanks - Bart

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport
    check the level of your brake fluid? if its a little low and sloshing around in the reservoir that could trigger the light

I think you will find that the parking brake is mechanical so Hyd. shouldn't be an issue. Proable just the micro sw out of adj.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

i thought that too.. but when i bled my brakes, if my friend poured brake fluid in a certain spot in the reservoir, the "BRAKE" light would come on for a bit then go back out.. and the e-brake was not engaged at the time

I had that happen...I had some dynamat wedged into the connection between parking break wire and the connector...pull out the center console and check the connection to the parking break.

I would say that might be it, because I was recently under there and then the problem started.

I guess I will have to get under there again soom....ugg.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by ojmagg
    I had that happen...I had some dynamat wedged into the connection between parking break wire and the connector...pull out the center console and check the connection to the parking break.

i had exact same problem last year. First time it was fluid so i add a little bit and everything was fine but then later it start coming back on and then off. I couldnt figure out for awhile what was wrong and then i hit the e-brake handle and light went off then i figured right away, bad connection. So there is 2 main things to check first: fluid and connection.

Don't know if you've solved your problem yet, but I had the exact same problem a while back and it turned out to be a dime or nickel (can't remember) that had gotten lodged in there and was completing the connection to turn on the light. Same as you, if I pushed it down, it would go off but then come back on.
    "If you're not living on the edge --- you're taking up too much space!!"

Well, this morning I popped the hood to check the oil and I also checked the brake fluid level, and sure enough, it is down to the "ADD" line.

So I will add some fluid in there today. Does it matter if I add DOT 3 or DOT 4? A previous mechanic used DOT 4 fluid in there but I am not 100% sure what is in there now.

Any suggestions on what fluid to get? On the way to work the BRAKE light was lit up most of the way...

Bart

Insert 2 cents
    Bart, be careful with adding fluid. If and when you do a brake job, and you press the pistons back into the calipers for the new pads, you will pump brake fluid all over the place, and paint and brake fluid don't like each other. When was the last time you did a brake job anyway? Usually, (if you don't have a leak somewhere) when you brake reservior gets low, it kind of means your pads are getting close to needing to be replaced, they kind of engineered it that way.

Hey, I had my brakes done last March or April, so I would be surprised if the pads were worn out already, but it certainly is possible.

I just filled up the reservoir, do you think I should soak some out with a wrag?

Thanks - Bart

Quote Originally Posted by rowhard
    Insert 2 cents
    Bart, be careful with adding fluid. If and when you do a brake job, and you press the pistons back into the calipers for the new pads, you will pump brake fluid all over the place, and paint and brake fluid don't like each other. When was the last time you did a brake job anyway? Usually, (if you don't have a leak somewhere) when you brake reservior gets low, it kind of means your pads are getting close to needing to be replaced, they kind of engineered it that way.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask
    I just filled up the reservoir, do you think I should soak some out with a wrag?

Thanks - Bart
    If you filled it to the "full" line, you should be OK...Rowhard was referring to: when you replace pads, you have to compress the piston (what makes the calipers squeeze) & the displaced fluid has to go somewhere...which means it'll backflow back into the reservoir causing it to overflow.

Cool, thanks Dub. I drove to work today with no light and everything seems sound and happy!

Thanks everyone,

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub
    If you filled it to the "full" line, you should be OK...Rowhard was referring to: when you replace pads, you have to compress the piston (what makes the calipers squeeze) & the displaced fluid has to go somewhere...which means it'll backflow back into the reservoir causing it to overflow.

When you say last March or April, do you mean 2007? I sure would be wondering why your brake fluid was down to the add level, but just my 2 cents again

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask
    Hey, I had my brakes done last March or April, so I would be surprised if the pads were worn out already, but it certainly is possible.

Thanks - Bart