Thread: Where to find hose insulation?

Where to find hose insulation?

Okay, I tried a quick search and I couldn't find anything, but then again, I have little idea what to search for...

I am looking for a replacement for some hose insulation that a mouse took a liking to while wandering around in my engine bay. The piece is sitting a little off-center on top of the engine just behind and above that metal bar that sticks out from the top right of the engine. So you don't have to run out to your VX, here's a pic. Look a couple dozen or so pixels from the top and about 40% across the image from the left and there you have the thingy I am looking for...

<Yup... I'm a real Ph.D.-type professor... but I have no idea what I'm doing inside my own engine compartment. Sigh. Don't tell my cadets.>

Anyway, I asked the local Isuzu service guys and they told me to head to Home Depot or Lowes. I did that and found something similar for plumbing insulation, but the outer diameter is way too big. Pep Boys and Advanced Auto Parts had no clue ("Have you tried Home Depot?"). So... other than finding a dead VX, does anyone have an idea of how to replace this part so I can feed another mouse? [And if anyone has a fool-proof way to fend off mice in a parking deck, that would be welcome too]

Thanks,
    Fuzzy
    2001 Proton #1413
    Kaneohe, HI

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

Duhhhh...what's a pixel ?

If it's what I think it is, (are there two vacuum hoses inside it ?) about 3/4" OD, 5/8" ID with 1/8" wall thickness...kinda squishy foam...about 16" long ?

If that's the one, let me know, I'll send it to you.

Actually, it is the single larger hose directly above the twin hoses (goes from the top left of the engine to the black cake-tin to the right - which I know has something to do with the brakes). Looking through illustrations, I believe this vacuum hose is part 8-97163-843-2.
    Last edited by fuzzy : 08/05/2007 at 06:47 PM

Arrow

You can usually get the stuff from a speed-shop but probably the easiest is to stop by your local A/C shop and ask for some hose insulation or sleeving in the size you need. Usually you slide it on before the base hose is assembled, but if you're adding or replacing after the fact just slit it along its length with a sharp razor or utility knife and secure with cable ties or self-fusing tape.

Here's an example of one place you can order online from with different sizes: http://www.acsource.com/index.asp?Pa...S&Category=386

At speed-shops and such you can also find more variety as there are flavors for insulating against open flame, radiated heat and so forth.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Watch insulating hosing though. It promotes heat in the engine bay. It is very handy for some vaccum lining, but some lines you do not want to maintain heat.

I think what you are talking about is the insulation around your power brake line. That shouldnt be a biggy. The insulation on it is simply a protection from the heat that the engine creates anyways. It's simply precautionary. It wouldnt hurt NOT to have it, but for visual purposes, any auto supply outlet should have some.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT