Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cladding - The FINAL solution?

99 White, 99 Astral Silver, 01 Kaiser Silver

Cladding - The FINAL solution?

Like many of my VX brethren, I too search for a real solution to the faded cladding problem. Being an owner of 3 VX's, the problem becomes quite the issue especially on the '99.

Going to a paintshop for a solution makes me worried about the adhesion factor. I'd like to believe the cladding can still be useful for what it was designed for - scratched and dented without obvious visual indication. I don't like the option of spraying liner on it either.

So I looked up to see what the current solution for Chevy Avalanche owners is (who experienced the same problems we do with their cladding), and came across this on wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Avalanche

"...Customer reaction to this problem resulted in General Motors agreeing to a one time treatment of a product called ArmorDillo. This product would temporarily restore the cladding for a period of about 6 months. After that it would wear off then need to be re-applied. Realizing this was not a permanent solution GM together with Gatorback Coatings developed a coating that could be applied to the cladding to restore it to a like new shine. This product was designed to etch into the plastic and bond a new layer of tinted acrylic over the faded plastic..."

Behold.
    http://www.gatorbackcoatings.com/application-demo.htm

So who's gonna jump first?
    Brian Cozzens - Art Director
    Borderlands / Aliens: Colonial Marines
    www.gearboxsoftware.com

That's pretty cool, and it certainly looks good. Do you think the 99s have more issues with faded cladding than the later VXes? Or do you think it is simply and issue of age?

Bart

I think I will be trying this as soon as I re-paint my VX neon green or perhaps orange like the new GTI color orange. So, Im thinking 2-3 months...

Wow, once I get the extra cash. I think I will be doing this... for sure!

The other solutions here on the forums just wont cut it here. They attract dust and sand like magnets!
    01 VX Kaiser | Love it! Drive it! Mod it! MYVEHICROSS.com | VX-WIKI

Rancho RS9000X | VXC Shifter Plates | PV2 | Hella Micro DE fogs | Carbon Fiber Hood | AfterShock Skid Plates (front, rear, sides)

Quote Originally Posted by VCAMILO
    I think I will be trying this as soon as I re-paint my VX neon green or perhaps orange like the new GTI color orange.
    Dude, green and orange stripes! Diagonal.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by WyrreJ
    Dude, green and orange stripes! Diagonal.
    Sorry for the thread jack but...

Since you mentioned green/orange, I always thoughs this paint scheme would look good on my VX.(without all the flash)

What looks good on small car does not always translate to a larger vehicle.

I wonder if ArmorDillo is very similar to Krylon Fusion spraypaint. Fusion is supposed to chemically fuse to plastics too. I don't recall ever seeing a comparable color match to our cladding though, and would also be curious whether a similar Anti Fuel-Staining Topcoat product would be available.

VX Adopted Out. 2005 BMW 325CI & 2006 4Runner.
    good find!

-biju.

He lingers -- happily -- in a new hybrid state of semi-hormonal adolescence and responsible self-reliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Y33TREKker
    I wonder if ArmorDillo is very similar to Krylon Fusion spraypaint. Fusion is supposed to chemically fuse to plastics too. I don't recall ever seeing a comparable color match to our cladding though, and would also be curious whether a similar Anti Fuel-Staining Topcoat product would be available.
    You could always remove a piece of cladding from the car and test this on the inside, on a part that does not show...

99 White, 99 Astral Silver, 01 Kaiser Silver
    Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask
    That's pretty cool, and it certainly looks good. Do you think the 99s have more issues with faded cladding than the later VXes? Or do you think it is simply and issue of age?
    Just an issue of age in my particular case. I'm sure the fabrication process on the cladding didn't change during the production of the VX.

Whaleboy, nice fine. I contacted them and told them about us and that we have the same issues, so maybe they will come up with a color match for the VX. I also suggest that they contact Moncha, maybe he will let them list their product here.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

I wonder if a match is necesary or if this will allow us to custumize our rides a little further?

Quote Originally Posted by circmand
    I wonder if a match is necesary or if this will allow us to custumize our rides a little further?

True. I like that idea

Quote Originally Posted by VCAMILO
    I think I will be trying this as soon as I re-paint my VX neon green or perhaps orange like the new GTI color orange. So, Im thinking 2-3 months...
    Do it brother! I want one to go psycho on too.