Thread: Oh no...tranny woes

Oh no...tranny woes

Guess it's my day in the barrel. I changed the giant stock muffler out for a Magnaflow. The increased sound allowed me to notice a weird shift in the tranny It's nothing that can be felt...no slam, no slip. When the 3-4 shift happens, it drops into fourth smoothly enough, then a few beats later it drops another 300rpm or so...essentially feels (or acts) like a 4speed OD transmission. I've gained an extra half gear! The good news is, I am an O.O.,so Isuzu is married to me for the entire ten years(HA) and all maintainence has been overdone. Plus my Isuzu dealer is only 27 miles away. I just turned 30,000 so service is due anyway. I run Mobil1 everywhere, so that's not the problem(yes it's full) We'll see. (encourage me to do the Tropper stick transplant...keep everything, but gain a third pedal) I just HATE anyone else touching my car...ever...a real problem for me, but a warranty is a warranty. Won't kill me to play by someone else's rules...I guess. Love, Wayne

"Sounds" normal to me and mine has 106k miles.

Don

Yup, I agree that's normal behavior. Feels like those two-step modulated OD shifts. My late-model Troopers did the same thing, although the '04 Axiom and its Aisin didn't.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

You mean a tranny swap isn't called for??? Doggonit, I need another one, just so I have one to work on

I've got a couple of Fiat 5-speeds with bad synchros you can tinker with.

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    Leave your tranny alone, Chopper... I'm pretty sure that's just the lock-up torque converter locking up after shifts. It will actually do that when shifting into 2, 3, and 4, although you have to be fairly light on the gas to notice it in the lower gears. Mine varies in its behavior depending on load and outside temps, but it's normal operation. Someone last year posted a tongue-in-cheek thread claiming to really have 7 gears.

If you want to tinker with something, come on up to CT for a few days and we can rebuild the engine on the GT. :-)

Reset your computer.. due to your new exhaust, the transmission/computer and all that are learning the new power pattern and shift patterns... so if you reset the computer, it will start from scratch...

Just a quick note- Watch for aftermarket mods voiding your warranty. Even a simple muffler upgrade could give them cause to void it completely if the dealer didn't install it.

Just check the fine print

Naaa... no void problems. I used to work there, and still fish with the owner. Yes, I pretty much "feather foot" the VX, and yes, it sometimes feels(sounds) like I have a six speed tranny. It's a relief to know it's a weird algorythm, not a mechanical issue. I guess the 55gal. drum of a muffler, covered the odd shift patterrn pretty well. I'll do a flush and fill, with a filter change, tomorrow...like I said, it's due anyway. Thanks all.

Fiat synchros......AAAARRRRGGH!! Next you'll want your Webbers balanced, or that first-gen GM fuel injection to work. I'd sooner resurect my mom's old Citroen SM. YOU, are a masochist!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper
    Fiat synchros......AAAARRRRGGH!! Next you'll want your Webbers balanced, or that first-gen GM fuel injection to work. I'd sooner resurect my mom's old Citroen SM. YOU, are a masochist!
    LOL! No worries my friend, I let go of my 124 Sport Spiders a while back and only have the two trannies, three blocks, a couple heads and assorted spares lying about. I had one head completely reworked with an original intake and dual 40 IDF Webers that I got a pretty penny for on eBay some time ago. Buyers on eBay are loony for stuff from Turin!

I do have to admit, if I were to only have one car it would likely be a '74 124 Sport Spider. Love the way the tranny shifts, that incredible 1800 twin-cam and just the classic Pininfarina styling. Plus it's got loads of room for the long-legged! Not to mention you can put the top up single-handed at 65MPH.

Wayne, we've got to get together again and sling some verbal grease.

That Fiat was on my wish list back then. I had grenaded the MG-B GT I'd gotten for graduation, and was soldiering on, in a "gently used" Spitfire. Every weekend, I'd get spanked by the Fiats, and one particular Alpha coupe. Those Fiats seemed so refined, compared to the farm equipment I was driving... they even had door handles on the inside, and brakes that not only actually worked...they had a built in backup! Amazing stuff back then. All wasn't cheery tho...I remember them being delivered to the dealerships with rust already in place. They went away pretty quickly up north. Have you seen the new Alpha coupe? 80C I believe it is...Angelina in auto form...spectacular!