Thread: 12v outlet

12v outlet

finally got around to installing an auxiliary 12v outlet in my cargo area, thanks to the idea from here (i forget who, sorry!) turned out nicely i think and works great for charging my spotlight or running my power inverter in the rear of the VX... about a 30 minute install (including wiring) and $10 bucks, well worth the investment

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Looks nice! That mod was/is on my mod list. Where did you get your power source from?
    01 VX Kaiser | Love it! Drive it! Mod it! MYVEHICROSS.com | VX-WIKI

Rancho RS9000X | VXC Shifter Plates | PV2 | Hella Micro DE fogs | Carbon Fiber Hood | AfterShock Skid Plates (front, rear, sides)

I just ran it straight from the battery, i have 4ga power wire coming off my battery already to a distribution block under the drivers seat, so i used the last open terminal on the distribution block with a 15a fuse within 12" of the block for my power. I think that im going to end up putting another fuse box under the hood because im starting to get too many accessories (outlet, aux off road lights, aux interior lighting, stereo) ill post about that one when i get to it

bottom line is that this mod was very simple.. i would also like to take a power inverter apart and install a 120V outlet right under the new 12v.. hopefully soon

You might want to start thinking dual batteries and high output alternator to go with all those toys! Looks good though.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport
    I just ran it straight from the battery, i have 4ga power wire coming off my battery already to a distribution block under the drivers seat, so i used the last open terminal on the distribution block with a 15a fuse within 12" of the block for my power. I think that im going to end up putting another fuse box under the hood because im starting to get too many accessories (outlet, aux off road lights, aux interior lighting, stereo) ill post about that one when i get to it

bottom line is that this mod was very simple.. i would also like to take a power inverter apart and install a 120V outlet right under the new 12v.. hopefully soon
    Looks like stock, nice job!

As for a fuse box under the hood, I like my Streetwires block. (it's a bit messy with the last minute navigation wiring I did last month- shame. )

I like what you did on the front end, but I strongly recommend that you not try to pull too much amperage through a cigarette lighter plug. They, technically speaking, suck. They are NOT intended to run anything but the smallest inverter. I literally smoked the one in my subaru -- the thermal fuse ... fused. I don't think you can fathom the hell that is driving across Utah without any MP3s...

So, instead, we did a cheap-o Wal*Mart fuse block under the hood, and 10ga wire to the cab.

In the cab, we've got a number of Anderson Powerpole connectors, which are sort of the standard for high-amperage DC connectors. One set goes to the radio (which you can't see in the picture), the other set goes to the set you can see coming out of the VX's computer 'wart'. Below that, you can see my inverter, a number of pigtails, extensions, and adaptors. On the right is a set of cigarette plugs for small loads like phone chargers, etc.

Powerpoles are genderless, any one of those plugs can be used backwards. In a pinch, I could use an extension + the aligator clips plugged together to make a ghetto set of jumper cables. Or, I can adapt someone else's cigarette lighter to powerpoles, and plug in my equipment.

On the left are a couple more Powerpole ends, and the additional bulkhead connector that I intend, one of these days, to put in that back panel, just like you did. I'm hoping to just run 8ga + to the back, and return through the frame. How hard was it to get wires up to the back?

im not sure what youre saying.. i think youre saying

the power setup i have is good now, but i should hardwire the power inverter and just use the 12v for charging and not hook an inverter up to it?

every add on i have now is powered on its own independent circuit excpet for the head unit, which is drawing power from the stock head unit harness

running wires to the back is super dooper easy.. there is all sorts of room behind those rear panels, i took some extra time to make sure the wire wasnt anywhere near my speaker wires

I'm just saying if you intend on plugging in an inverter in the back, consider using a different plug and socket (or hardwireing it in). The cigarrette plug will fail pretty quickly once you put a decent load on it.

As for your wireing, I think you did great! I went cheap on most of my runs -- I have a single 10ga wire to the cab. I may have three outlets there, but I have to remember that I probably can't run all three with high-amp loads at the same time.

gotcha, thanks, im always a little paranoid about my mods since im kind of learning as i go still...

as for the power inverter, the plan now is to open it up, solder a power wire from my 12v outlet circuit in place of the outlet adapter then ground to the frame, pull the 120v sockets out of it and flush mount them under the 12v back there.... but i still havent fully wired my offroading lights, auxiliary fan or underhood lights, so that project may wait a little bit... yikes i really will need a new battery soon.. my blue top is handling like a champ so far though, dont even have dimming with bass yet