Thread: supercharger help

supercharger help

ok, so my supercharger is the "new" design that doesnt recycle exhaust back to the intake. the aluminum egr block has a set screw where the recycle tube should come out. the problem is that i have been getting a CEL - "excessive egr flow". alpine told me the computer may re-learn the new parameters after driving a while and the CEL would go off, but they didnt know for sure. they said thats what the nissans do, but they never actually tested it on an isuzu. 2 months and 1000 miles later its still on. anyone have any suggestions on how to turn this stupid thing off. i was thinking of drilling a hole in the set screw, or just removing it all together so the egr would see less flow. im worried b/c alpines customer service sucks. im still waiting on a bracket they forgot to send me 7 months ago. if i cant make it go off, i will ask for apline to exchange me parts from the older model, however, given their service, i will probably have to seek legal routes to actually get them. And for the record, Tone was great, but he really cant do much since he was just the middle man. the supercharger cost too much money for me to live with a check engine light or just take out the bulb. any ideas?

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Lightbulb

I have no idea how this would be accomplished, so take it FWIW.

A "dummy" load/siginal to trick ECU into thinking all is well.

Black electrical tape? I apologize now

i remember someone saying they would get a CEL right after the computer resets unless they drove the first 100 miles or so gently.. maybe try resetting your computer (disconnect battery for 30 minutes) and drive the VX gently for awhile and see if you still get the light after 100 or so miles (then of course let 'er rip and use the SC for what its made for)

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

I donno. That sounds like a wild guess on the Alpine R&D, especially since they said the CEL "may" go away. IMHO, the VX is always gonna look to the EGR, so you may need to take this up with Alpine on a more "I need something done NOW" basis.
    Last edited by WormGod : 06/07/2007 at 11:03 AM
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

thanks for the replies guys. yeah, i think the i need help now approach would require some legal intervention, which im not opposed to if i cant get it to work. i have a rodeo with the 3.5L. ill probably hook up my voltage detector to the rodeos egr, get a reading at idle and at redline - this is the window that my egr output voltage needs to be in. then just put a resistor on mine that keeps its voltage out put in that window. im pretty sure this would work. any thoughts?