Thread: Engine Rebuild - Questions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    99 White, 99 Astral Silver, 01 Kaiser Silver

Engine Rebuild - Questions

So last month I threw rod #2 on my engine in the VX (they never explained why). After digging up all my oil change receipts, it was covered under warranty. However, this is a Carmax warranty - as it was bought used so a "remanufactured" short block from Isuzu was put in.

After a month and one week, I just got my VX back (THANK GOD). However, it appears its really sluggish in the performance dept. now. I noticed this when it didn't seem to have as much pep taking off from a light then before. It doesn't feel like a sporty engine anymore, it feels like a run-of-the-mill SUV.

So yesterday evening I decided to test it, it took the damn thing like almost 9 and a half seconds to reach 0-60, which wasn't right at all.

so my questions are - this is a stock VX, except the elbow is removed. And is still removed after all the engine work - which makes me wonder if thats the reason why it seems to be performing so slow? Would this factor in to anything - them not noticing the elbow has been removed when adjusting the timing, etc? not that I can imagine it makes any big difference..

Should I not expect the engine to perform as before after a remanufactured shortblock from Isuzu has been put into the car by the techs at the Isuzu Dealership?

Is there some kinda break-in process I wasn't informed about?

And if it really isn't performing as it did before, how exactly do I explain to the guys at Carmax this "yeah, I floored it - and it just don't move like it did"?

Should I take it somewhere else to verify the engine isn't performing up to snuff? and how is that checked anyways?

I dunno, maybe I've just been driving rental cars for too long... But even when I first purchased the car 2 years ago, it handled like a sports car.. Now after the shop, it handles like a soccer moms SUV...
    Last edited by Whaleboy : 05/20/2003 at 09:55 PM
    Brian Cozzens - Art Director
    Borderlands / Aliens: Colonial Marines
    www.gearboxsoftware.com