Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Diff Drop Brackets

Diff Drop Brackets

I could not locate the Darlington Off Road Drop brackets.
    I know you can fab them up yourself, but I am no welder and would not know where to begin.
    Is there anywhere else you can purchase these? Or is there another truck out there you can borrow some from?
    Also I read once you drop the diff you need to drop the cross members as well???

Darlington doesn't make them anymore, and every other set I saw when doing research before making mine indicated they were never made anywhere else. The crossmember does need to be dropped, and doing that is an easy task compared to the diff. brackets. I used 4 pieces of the same steel I used to do the diff. brackets, and just drilled 4 holes in each and mounted it up along with some grade 8 hardware from Lowes or Home Depot. The crossmember Darlington did looked a little questionable to me. I had someone else do the welding for mine (estimate about 1 hour or so), but I did all the prep work. Maybe someone will chime in with exchangeable diff. brackets for the VX, but when I was recently at the scrapyard looking under some troopers, they looked identical. You could pull them, then have a fab shop cut and weld them for probably considerably cheaper than buying ones even if Darlington did still sell them. I would think with a professional metal shop, doing this job couldn't take super long. Plus if you did some prep work, that saves cost also.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.

Check "Bigmeats" gallery...

...for some pics of the drop brackets he made up.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...=500&ppuser=81

jo

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder
    but when I was recently at the scrapyard looking under some troopers, they looked identical. You could pull them, then have a fab shop cut and weld them
    So how positive is anyone that they are the same? I really want to do the way you did because I don’t like the pain of tracking down CV's or the cost. How much did you relocate your brackets? A friend of my parents is a really good welder and builds hot rods and stuff so he could do them just a matter of getting them and figuring out how much to change them.

I believe mine were dropped down 2". But it may have only been 1.5, I'll have to check and see.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

I'm about 90% sure that Sean over @ MWIOR used VX diff. brackets as the "donors" when he dropped the front of his Amigo...if that cross-over info. is of any help.

Seems to me, I remember a spirited discussion on the 4x4 wire as to the interchangability between years/models. Might be worth a search...

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    I'm about 90% sure that Sean over @ MWIOR used VX diff. brackets as the "donors" when he dropped the front of his Amigo...if that cross-over info. is of any help.

Seems to me, I remember a spirited discussion on the 4x4 wire as to the interchangability between years/models. Might be worth a search...
    THREAD RESURRECTION....

By the transitive property, could one assume, Diff Drop brackets designed for the Amigo (darlington diff drop brackets) would work on the Vehicross?

Might have a line on a never installed set.

Man, if anyone can get someone to make multiple drop brackets....put me down for one. I'll buy it!
    Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by taylorRichie View Post
    THREAD RESURRECTION....

By the transitive property, could one assume, Diff Drop brackets designed for the Amigo (darlington diff drop brackets) would work on the Vehicross?

Might have a line on a never installed set.
    Never assume ...the best answer I can give you right now is "possibly".

If you search the 4X4wire, in the Isuzu forums, "diff drop brackets", you should be able to find the discussion between Strawmeyers & Mathew(Matt from indy 4x) on this topic.
    PM me if you want me to call Sean & ask him for further details, as I'm not sure of the model year of his Amigo.

I was going to suggest you check with Indy 4X since they did the lift for Nerve_Gas. He has a 4.5 inch suspension lift so I'm sure he's had some form of diff drop.

I sent him a PM. I'll let you know what he says.
    Last edited by tom4bren : 05/29/2008 at 01:42 PM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Yeah guys I messed up when I had my lift done. I didn't drop the diff and now its hurting me. I have no 4wd at the moment because I had to pull my front drive shaft until I can axle swap. Way to much angle on my CV's. I'm sure Matt at Indy4x could do them just give him a call and talk to him. If he needs a truck to get an idea from just let me know I should be able to run it out there and let him look.

Custom Independent4x 4.5" suspension lift, Custom Independent4x 3" body lift, 36x13.50R16 Irok radials, 16x8 American Racing Mojave teflons, Warn locking front hubs, Independent4x extended braided brake lines, Independent4x heavy duty tie rods, Calmini extended bump stops, Calmini extended brake line brackets, Rancho RS9000X shocks,1.5" wheel spacers, And trimmed cladding

I'd be interested in checking out a how to if anyone tackles this job in the near future. I have a set of the Darlington brackets just waiting to be installed but I started looking at what all would need to be taken apart and decided to put it off a few more weekends...
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

Quote Originally Posted by kpaske View Post
    I'd be interested in checking out a how to if anyone tackles this job in the near future. I have a set of the Darlington brackets just waiting to be installed but I started looking at what all would need to be taken apart and decided to put it off a few more weekends...
    Feel free to send them my way and I'll do a full write up of my installation

Thanks in advance,

Richie

Oh how satisfying it is to know I have in my possession probably the last set of drop brackets Joe Darlington will ever make for the VX... Muuuhahahaha

Maybe, this is just a start, make some replicas from your drop differentials and give them as gifts to your VX family members.
    Peace.
    Tom