Thread: Tech Reminder

Tech Reminder

Going thru the books, I noticed it'd been 3100 miles and six months since the last oil change(my birthday actually) Pulled the stick, and noticed it was a bit low (had never budged before) When I pulled the PCV it way dripping with oil, and didn't rattle at all. The tube to the intake was nice and wet too. Then I remembered that last time, our ghetto-*** parts store didn't have one, and since it was rattling just fine, I stuck the old one back in. I check fluids at least once a week, so there was no real danger (I don't drive very far) Had I been the average driver (doing hundreds of miles a week and paying no attention) this could have easily cost me an engine in very short order. CHANGE THE TWO DOLLAR PCV EVERY TIME YOU CHANGE THE OIL! There, i yelled it at you all! Love, wayne.

ty, i just changed mine 2 days ago.

Whats the Point of Living, if You don't go BIG.....
    Turning My VX Into Rally VX

Let's think about all fluids. Now that your wrenches are warmer and the miles are ticking, what else can we change...

Power Steering Fluid
    Front Differential
    Rear Differential
    Transfer Case
    Transmission
    Brake Fluid
    Coolant
    Oil

Oh, and don't forget the serpentine belt and pcv.

What else ?

what and where is pcv vavle?

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardmen3477
    what and where is pcv vavle?
    PCV

Definition: The Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve is an emissions control device that routes unburned crankcase blowby gases back into the intake manifold where they can be reburned. The PCV system is one of the oldest emission control devices, and also one of the most beneficial. Besides totally eliminating crankcase emissions as a source of air pollution, the constant recirculation of air through the crankcase helps remove moisture which otherwise would cause sludge to form. Thus the PCV valve extends the life of the oil and engine.

It's located on the drivers side (US model) valve cover under the black plastic piece. Just pop that black cover off and you'll see it
    Live Free or DIE!

Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

its red right, cuz i just changed mine and man it was nasty and did not rattle when u moved it. the 1 i bought from auto zone was black, fits perfect, but it does not matter that its a diffrent then the stock, right? i just can't wait to drive my VX, i have the gps, 919's springs, Botch Platinam +4 spark plugs, all the front lights and the egr valve waiting to arrive in my door step, the dash is all undone and opened up and it looks like sh!*, and the whole front as well. Can't wait to get my parts. i also fixed my ram air to work better in the front and removed the egr valve tube and clean the sh!* out of it and put back on, man it took me 6 hours to remove the tube and only 20 min's to put back on. i want to see how much all this will help horse power re-gain of lost by years of use, smoother ride, better looking and gas re-gain as well. do u guys thikall this will help improve the life and gas of my VX? sorry if i wrote alot of crap, i'm just bored as heck to get my parts and all i have to do right now is wait.

Autozone - PVC valve Deutsch PV 193.
    Only takes a minute to change.
    I do it every oil change.