Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Catalytic Converter

Catalytic Converter

The flange at the exhaust header is busted. I've had it spot welded for now to tame the obnoxious noise, but Isuzu wants $900 to replace the entire catalytic converter, saying you can't get the flange alone. Any ideas? One flange costing me that much seems outrageous.

wow 900....just go with an aftermarket cat.

Where do I get one & how much would it be? It just seems so trivial to buy a whole new cat b/c of one small part.

wait wait i just re-read ur post and is ur headers or ur cat flanges leaking?

I would try a muffler shop, they may have a flange that can be used or modified to fit. shawn
    1COOLVX

The pipe that leads up to the flange is no longer connected and every weld shop has only been able to temporarily fix it.

don't woory your not the only one, i work for an isuzu dealer and have been waiting for 5 months for my warrenty cat. converter to come in. mean while my truck sits cause the cat. has pluged solid and if i tamper no more. warr.

Aftermarket Cat

You get them at this link for around 300 apiece...they are supposed to be direct fit replacements

Give it a shot...

http://www2.ipartsonline.com/parts/p...verter&dp=true

You know, without photos, it's kind of hard to tell what your up against. But, if what I am reading is correct, The flange on the converter is broken free, correct?

What I might try, is find a muffler shop, and proabaly not the big ones like Midas. See if they have a flange from a removed converter or what have you that is the same size that you need, and have they weld it in place. They weld this stuff all day long and have the tools and knowledge on how to do it. You might have to go to a couple of them., but it might be worth a shot.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Quote Originally Posted by nospower42
    don't woory your not the only one, i work for an isuzu dealer and have been waiting for 5 months for my warrenty cat. converter to come in. mean while my truck sits cause the cat. has pluged solid and if i tamper
    no more. warr.
    hey nos,
    which side was the cat you were waiting on? one of mine came in last week, (dont know which side, YET....) but the other hasnt come in, and they are not sure when it will come in. it is making me sick thinking i may have to wait ANOTHER 5 months.......

do you have any idea WHY it took 5 months??

i called merlin too, just to ask what he had layin around, and he too said no cats, and no date on availability.

ive been really bumming about this..........summer is almost over

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaVX
    hey nos,
    which side was the cat you were waiting on? one of mine came in last week, (dont know which side, YET....) but the other hasnt come in, and they are not sure when it will come in. it is making me sick thinking i may have to wait ANOTHER 5 months.......

do you have any idea WHY it took 5 months??

i called merlin too, just to ask what he had layin around, and he too said no cats, and no date on availability.

ive been really bumming about this..........summer is almost over

Is there no way you could have them install aftermarket cats like Magna Flow or similar & just pay the difference in cost ?
    The way Isuzu charges for parts, they might be cheaper.

Just a thought...

hey dub.....
    well, i could ask, but as it stands now, Isuzu is payin for the cats, dont really understand why, but they are, and im dont want to complain about that. it just amazes me that there isnt a cat on a shelf somewhere, well, not the animal, im sure there is a CAT on a shelf somewhere, lol , just not a catalitic conv. on a shelf..........sigh..........i gotta find humor where i can....
    who besides ghost busters does a guy have to call?? isuzu america, the manufactureererer? the guy workin 3rd shift???

now, i, AND the isuzu dealer/service dept are looking for aftermarket cats......anybody have any luck??? the couple of places ive called have them listed on website, but when called on it, i get .."uhhhhh we do not carry that".....

full story in timing belt jump thread

thanks, and good luck
    david

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaVX
    now, i, AND the isuzu dealer/service dept are looking for aftermarket cats......anybody have any luck??? the couple of places ive called have them listed on website, but when called on it, i get .."uhhhhh we do not carry that".....

full story in timing belt jump thread

thanks, and good luck
    david
    Maybe try PM'n KENNY...I'm pretty sure he's runnin' Magna Flows or some other hi-flow cats...he might be in the know.

I am running Magnaflow cats... I am not sure which ones. I can try and find out the part #. They are a a universal size for the VX. They were about $180 per cat.