Thread: How to: blacked out turn signals

How to: blacked out turn signals

I finally found a way to darken my side markers to my satisfaction, the front turn signals were easy, window tint film worked fine with for those since they are flat, however the rear side markers and the triangular side markers over the front wheels both have raised writing on them which produces nasty air bubbles under tint and wierd bulges when painted over... also the triangular marker was just about impossible to tint with film.. so i asked the guy who tinted my windows to give it a shot.. he recommended spray tinting the markers and gave me directions for it.. i finally did it today.... its purdy! heres how i did it....

Still very visible at night!

I bought a backup set of rear markers off of a '93 miata when i wasnt sure it was going to work, i paid less than 10 bucks for them.. probably good insurance/practice

step 1: remove lenses
    rears, just 2 phillips head screws then use your fingernail to pull the center of the top towards you, roll down towards you, twist bulb socket counter-clockwise to release bulb
    front triangulars, remove 1 phillips head screw, slide entire assembly towards rear of VX to release clip, pull out, twist bulb socket counter-clockwise to release bulb

using an x-acto knife, carefully shave the raised lettering down as far as you can without cutting into the lens, it doesnt have to be flush.. watch your fingers!

using 120 grit sandpaper sand the entire lens lightly, concentrating in the areas that had raised lettering until smooth, once the lettering is smooth be sure that the lens is more or less even

rinse dust off with water, wipe with a paper towel, repeat until lens is clean

using a spray bottle, spray lens and sandpaper, sand lens with 800 grit sandpaper until 120 grit lines are gone, it will look like a thin white paste coming off, you will feel the sanding getting easier as your lens smooths out, once smooth rinse with water and wipe dry until lens is clean

prop lenses horizontal to the ground, to prevent runs they should not be pitched in any direction! (be sure there are no falling debris around, should be around 70 deg with average humidity) starting about 6 inches off to the side of markers, spray in a steady sweeping motion across all lenses, dont stop halfway! be sure to keep can about 10 inches away from the lenses, a light misting is all you want on the lenses to prevent globbing/running let dry for about 15 minutes, spray another light coat over the lenses (be sure you are getting around the edges of the triangular markers) remember not to stop in the middle of a lens! spray all lenses in one steady sweep to keep darkness consistent

repeat coats until the lenses are your desired darkness, remember the darker you go the less light that shines through if paint is still wet give a few more minutes between coats

after final coat allow 30+ minutes for the paint to fully dry, reinstall lenses
    when installing rear lenses, be sure the L of the bulb socket is pointed down, put the bottom of the lens in and roll the top into place
    for the front lenses, put the lenses in place, slide towards the front of the VX, look through screw hole to make sure hole is lined up correctly before you put the screw in to avoid scratching your paint... enjoy!

here is the product i used, purchased at hobbytown usa, the color is Transparent Black Window Tint, 1 can did 2 sets of markers + 1 screwup
    http://www.ehobbies.com/tes2949.html
    Last edited by etlsport : 05/09/2007 at 04:52 PM

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Looks good. With all the spray painting I am doing this summer, I might just try this out too! Keep us posted on how it holds up to UV rays and rain and pebbles and stuff!
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Thumbs up

so far no signs of fading or chipping at all.. put about 2000 miles on the vx since then

i have a quick question where did u get those lights mine are burnt out and i have been tryin to find a nice kool looking pair to put in no luck but now i see yours and their awesome could you send me a link or something so that i can buy them thanks so much.

what lights? the top blue lights came from www.autolumination.com they are the 5 led matrix bulb (194/168 replacement) in blue

Done did this mod with the same paint. But it just would not get tinted enough for my likes against the white of the IronMan. So it began to run and blob as the coats added up. Solution: I sanded it down and laid a coat of regular flat black spray paint it them. They look awesome. Very similar to NYCIronmans, but better becuase I shaved off the letters from the lights.

JHarris1385
    any pics how your looks like on ironman?

It looks GREAT. No pics yet the VX is very muddy at the moment. But check out NYC#1IronMan's gallery for reference. But I think he left the small dot letters on the lights. I shaved them off and sanded them down, and it looks way better.

Thread Necro.

I did this with Nighshades. Nice thing about that is that you can literally control HOW black you want the lights to be. I did mine so they look like a pretty good match for my light covers.